Walking with a weighted vest?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking with a weighted vest?

Lately I have been walking fast for my 55% heart rate. I noticed recently, I am having a hard time getting to 55% max heart rate, from walking fast. Does anyone know if a weighted vest will help me achieve my 55-75% max hr goals?

Why is it important for you to walk at 55-75% of your MHR?

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

It will certainly raise your heart rate, but how much I don't think anybody could tell you!

Why don't you put a weight/something heavy in a backpack and give it a go? And while your there why not think about ditching the micromanagement heart rate monitoring (or save it for the hard stuff)! I'm all for science'ing it up but Grok never cared about his heart rate!

Comment

Primalchild, I am following law # 3 and walking is my favorite way to achieve it. Evolution, I was considering holding 5-10 pounds to see if it raised my hr any.

Comment

That's great. Walking is my favorite way to achieve #3 as well. But there's nothing written about heart rate. The whole target heart rate, fat-burning zone thing is a holdover from the CW approach to cardio and really has very little bearing. Walking should be enjoyable, but keeping your heart rate elevated through artificial means sounds like turning something enjoyable into work, or even chronic cardio.

I say just go walking and don't worry about it.

Comment

Lately I've enjoyed walking around with a couple of barbells as an alternative to running. It feels a bit like carrying water or breakfast back to the cave, and makes a nice combo of mild aerobics and lifting. I'd also like to try carrying a weighted sack over one shoulder and a sledgehammer on the other, like Grok would have done on the way back from a kill.

But a weighted vest seems unnecessarily expensive and not very primal. Half the fun is using your back and core to compensate for the asymmetric load.

Comment

Gaius Marius marched his legions for up to 20 miles with 70 pounds in their backpacks. Those men were the toughest, best conditioned troops in the ancient world at the time, and ended up conquering the entirety of the Mediterranean, Gaul, and the non-Scottish half of Britannia.

There is little better for stamina and leg strength than lugging around large weights for extended period of time.

Comment

Any walking I do (even just grocery shopping) is done with a 10-25 lb child on my back, depending on if I have the baby or the toddler with me. I wouldn't worry too much about heart rate, but weighted walking is certainly a primal activity.

Comment

Agreed!

It's my goal, when the weather is appropriate, to walk the 20 miles to my parents' house, with a fully loaded backpack. Should be a fantastic Primal workout.

I'm a cheap Grokette though. No way would I pay for a vest. I'd rather throw some stuff in a backpack.

Comment

mstrudle,

I wonder if those legionnaires were relaxed and happy on those hikes.

Comment

One of my favorite things to do is throw a rucksack on with about 50-60 pounds and walk/run with it. Amazing workout!

My Journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread74692.html

Comment

The vest can also make my body weight strength sessions even more intense. There comes a point when something is too easy and it can't hurt to up the difficulty to get you going again. As far as enjoyment, a fast paced walk is better than long pounding run for me.

Comment

How about a slow, leisurely walk?

I'm not saying never walk around with extra weight on, because certainly in our evolution we crossed long distances carrying some heavy loads. And certainly it is good from time to time. My concern is that the typical Western attitude will prevail and you'll feel like you ought to put the weights on every time you go for a walk. That what ought to be simple will be made more difficult. That what ought to be pleasurable will turn into work.

Must all physical activity be done with some purpose in mind? Some goal to be reached, something to overcome? Why not walk for the sake of walking? Stroll aimlessly for the sole purpose of wandering?

Maybe these questions are beyond the scope of the thread but a lot of the replies so far have got me thinking and I apologize for any thread derailing.

Comment

For some people making things more difficult than they need be is fun.

Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

I LOVE my weighted vest. On a hilly route you can really feel it in your hamstrings, glutes and quads. I rarely walk without it but sometimes I just want to stroll. I used to use a backpack with weights and it about ruined my shoulders and upper back. The vest evenly distributes the load. A hidden benefit is the work your lower back and obliques get as you are top heavy and your core subconciously has to work to keep you stabilized. A vest is not a waste or non primal. It is a great tool. Try it.

Comment

Working...
                              X