Does yoga replace LHT?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SophieScreams View Post
    Male responders- weightlifting is superior to yoga.

Female responders- yoga shapes a woman's body better.
    In other words, male responders - smart......I KID!!!! please don't hurt me!!!

In all seriousness, yoga is great, I practice it a couple times a weak. But as far as strength gain or muscle growth, EXTREMELY inferior. There was a good post on t-nation (I know some people here hate that site, but when you ignore the supplement pushing [and cut them some slack, they need to make money] and just read articles based on basic nutrition and exercise science, especially from contributing authors, there is some serious quality there) about why women should lift weights and debunked a lot of the common myths as to why women should do yoga over weightlifting..which the article essentially argues, and I've come to believe the more I've seen, is just marketing. I'll see if I can find it.

Comment

here is my deal.

i have only so much time in my day, and so much money, and so much interest.

in the past, I have lifted weights. and trained for triathlons. and just done yoga.

as it is right now, I do yoga and I walk (mostly) -- as I'm too busy for roller derby currently. I am doing an open-water swim once a week.

I'm not interested in going to the gym and lifting weights. Likewise, as I don't have time to do the thigns that I want to do (derby), I really don't ahve time to do things that I don't want to do (weights).

But I do have time to do yoga, and I want to do yoga, and since it is weight bearing exercise (and progressive, and builds strength and stamina, etc -- just not in the same way as weights and, yes, there will be a point where someone is dead lifting 300 lbs and there's no counterpart in yoga for that), it functions well as a form of LHT.

Just as al's book or movnat or jungle fit or convict conditioning -- all body weight -- have a lot of strength building and interesting methods -- and so on and so forth.

in all truth, there's only so much time in my week. doing yoga is efficient, fun, and effective.

so, if you're like me -- and you just want to do yoga and you don't want to add things into your routine or dont' have time, then Yes. it qualifies.

Comment

Gah, can't find the original..

Here's his revised version, 4 Things Your Girlfriend Should Know (Revisted) | | Tony GentilcoreTony Gentilcore

The revised version doesn't address yoga anymore. He addresses that in separate articles now; Tony Takes a Yoga Class – Part I | | Tony GentilcoreTony Gentilcore and Tony Takes a Yoga Class – Part II | | Tony GentilcoreTony Gentilcore

Comment

There is nothing wrong with yoga of course. But it will never provide the deep metabolic conditioning that intense weight training does. There is nothing more important IMO than a good consistent weight training program. Forget the whole muscles thing too. That is surely a benefit as building and maintaining good strength is key to aging well. But it is deeper than that. It is about optimal metabolic function and this is HUGE as it largely determines your overall state of health and well being. Poor metabolic function leads to disease in many many forms. Almost as important as weight training is interval training such as sprints. After these two, there are many valuable forms of activity out there. My advice would be to include the yoga by all means if you enjoy it. Just be sure not to over do it all. Spread things out a bit. Jamming as much exercise/activity as we can into a given amount of time is NOT the answer. Quality and consistency go a lot further.

Oh and something I read above needs commenting on. Judging the physique of one person is not an accurate measure of the effectiveness of any diet or training program. We all know someone who has a "flawless" body that eats SAD and never works out. Would that be a good endorsement for such a lifestyle? There are plenty of people doing yoga that don't look like they do any exercise at all. Just as there are plenty of people LHT's that haven't a muscle to show for it. The point being that there are many genetic variations across the continuum. Fortunately most people can improve if not drastically improve their bodies with a good synergistic approach.

Comment

Working...
          X