Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What exactly is mark's advice towards exercise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly is mark's advice towards exercise?

I don't really understand it. He advices long walks and sprints. But no "long cardio". What is considered cardio? Does he advice against for example a 20 minute run? Or is he saying that you could be jogging than running?
    well then

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
    I don't really understand it. He advices long walks and sprints. But no "long cardio". What is considered cardio? Does he advice against for example a 20 minute run? Or is he saying that you could be jogging than running?

The basic premise:

1. Move slowly, often - this means walking, moving around throughout the day. Low intensity stuff that keeps you moving.
    2. Train for strength occasionally(a couple times a week.). Should be focused on compound movements and done at a fairly high intensity, if possible.
    3. "Sprint" - that is to say, short bouts of all-out running/biking/etc. once per week.

The basic idea is lots of slow movement(#1), and then occasional high-intensity exercise(#2,#3).

For other activities, you should do what you enjoy, and listen to your body - if you're feeling worn down, you may be over-exercising, under-eating, or under-sleeping.

Comment

Yes, the metric Mark gives is that slow movement should be at 50-75% maximum heart rate. A lot of runners and gym goers regularly exercise aerobically with their heart rate constantly around 80% or higher for 20 mins or more - that's what Mark means by 'chronic cardio'.

So if you are fit, jogging rather than running is probably <75% heart rate.
      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

If you enjoy running for 20 min go for it. If you don't like it don't do it.
        Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
        PS
        Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
          If you enjoy running for 20 min go for it. If you don't like it don't do it.
          This.

Comment

From what I gather, he recommends walking often, no distance runs, and high intensity strength training/sprinting. What I've found most beneficial with clients is that they get at least 10,000 steps per day, stick to the paleo diet, and train intensely for 2 hours a week including both upper and lower body. I see best results doing 30 minutes of upper on monday, sprinting Tuesday, skip Wednesday, repeat upper Thursday and sprinting or lower Friday. You could just do 2 hour long full body workouts, but I like depleting glycogen on 4 separate days for people looking for best results. Keep in mind that I am not defining intensity by how shot you are after a workout, I am defining intensity as max effort followed by plenty of rest between sets. Here is a cool article on a BBC Horizon Documentary about exercise. Dude got a 24% bump in insulin sensitivity doing 12 total minutes of exercise over 4 weeks. You get the same benefit from increasing NEAT (Non-exercise Activity Time) aka, walking, but it is through a different mechanism so doing both should increase the effect.

BBC News - Can three minutes of exercise a week help make you fit?

Comment

Working...
            X