hip issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hip issues

I have been having regular bouts of bursitis in my right hip.It impacts my sleep,standing,walking and sitting.
    Today I decided to hell with it..I need to be active.Everything I pulled up online to do(zumba,cardio,dance..all hurt a lot).
    I want to start getting active and for me the primal way of eating includes becoming active..not waiting for a month or 2..need to do something now.
    My question is what would you suggest to deal with hip pain and what exercises would be good to do despite the hip?I want something cardio based.

Biking?
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Gentle yoga?

Comment

Just walking all day.
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I may be wrong here but I believe the primary treatment for bursitis is rest? If you're having problems with your hip it will, IMHO, be most beneficial to get that sorted out and then when its better try for some cardio. By all accounts based on a little research I have done it seems any excessive movement of the joint will just cause further inflammation?

If I were you I would rest/ice or however you've been diagnosed to treat the pain but at the same time learn some joint mobility techniques, check these guys out: MobilityWOD

You could also try some swimming, since that is generally low impact, while your hip is recovering.

Comment

Originally posted by anjelevil View Post
            I have been having regular bouts of bursitis in my right hip.It impacts my sleep,standing,walking and sitting.
            Today I decided to hell with it..I need to be active.Everything I pulled up online to do(zumba,cardio,dance..all hurt a lot).
            I want to start getting active and for me the primal way of eating includes becoming active..not waiting for a month or 2..need to do something now.
            My question is what would you suggest to deal with hip pain and what exercises would be good to do despite the hip?I want something cardio based.
            Sent my boss to pt for the same problem. It's helped her a lot! Some particular stretches, certain strengthening moves, and core work have helped. I highly highly recommend pt. go to a place that specializes in ART, etc.

Comment

[QUOTE=aikidochris;742277]I may be wrong here but I believe the primary treatment for bursitis is rest? If you're having problems with your hip it will, IMHO, be most beneficial to get that sorted out and then when its better try for some cardio. By all accounts based on a little research I have done it seems any excessive movement of the joint will just cause further inflammation?

If I were you I would rest/ice or however you've been diagnosed to treat the pain but at the same time learn some joint mobility techniques, check these guys out: MobilityWOD

Thanks very much.I checked out the site and it seems to have lots of good ideas.
              This has been ongoing since last July.I see an osteopath but it's too expensive to do all the time.Ibuprofen works but only for as long as they are in the system..and they make me ill as well as not being good for the body in the long run.
              I have a very physical job so it's difficult to get any proper resting time when you are always on your feet.
              Thanks for taking the time to reply

Comment

Originally posted by cline View Post
                Sent my boss to pt for the same problem. It's helped her a lot! Some particular stretches, certain strengthening moves, and core work have helped. I highly highly recommend pt. go to a place that specializes in ART, etc.
                PT?Is this pilates?Thanks for the reply

Comment

Thanks everyone.Appreciate the ideas and suggestions

Comment

No problem, just out of interest what do you do for a job?

Comment

i recommend doing some foam and ball rolling to work on the tension in the area, and then start with some yoga postures that can open up the space. If you have pretty serious hip issues (and you might), I suggest going with a teacher who is quite knowledgable.

Comment

Originally posted by aikidochris View Post
                        No problem, just out of interest what do you do for a job?
                        I work as an operations manager for a charity that deal with social enterprises.I train chefs,do catering,front of house and lots of other running around.I can spend 8-10 hours a day on my feet!

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                          i recommend doing some foam and ball rolling to work on the tension in the area, and then start with some yoga postures that can open up the space. If you have pretty serious hip issues (and you might), I suggest going with a teacher who is quite knowledgable.
                          Thanks very much.I do yoga(Kundalini).I have found very good stretches from pilates that seem to work but I will look into the rolling

Comment

This has been ongoing since last July.I see an osteopath but it's too expensive to do all the time. I checked out the site and it seems to have lots of good ideas. So i thought that I should forget it.

Comment

Hi Anjelevil

Your question has already been well answered, but I thought I'd throw in my 2cents worth, as I had hip bursitis around 3 years ago now. As Aikidochris intimated, rest is the first thing to do as your hip bursa is inflamed, so the rest will reduce the inflammation. Once you reduce the inflammation, I would recommend you see a physio. For me, and I don't know about yourself, the reason I was getting the bursitis is that basically, the all those muscles surrounding the hip and pelvis became weak. My physio prescribed me exercises to help strengthen those muscles surrounding the hip and pelvis, which are basically, your core muscles of abdominals, back which branch out to gluteals, .etc. The key is strengthening your core strength and stability. It's a gradual process, and I am still working on core strength, but 3 years down the track, I no longer suffer from bursitis, and even though I have hip degeneration, I can can still run and do cardio (albeit, I don't run long distances). Anyway...I hope this helps, coming from someone who has had it and overcome it. Cheers...

Comment

Working...
                              X