Rather new to this.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rather new to this.

Physical activity, that is. Though not proudly, I can claim to live a sedentary lifestyle. I have been for pretty much forever. Since about high school (perhaps just a bit earlier), I've been the sort to sit and do nothing. The most exercise I got after getting home from school was just typing at the keyboard. Today (relatively) is no different. Wake up, take the dogs out, set up breakfast, then sit at the computer until I have to get up (usually angrily). Then I go to bed.

All of that aside, having gone from 380 to 350 is quite the feat, I have a long way to go. I have zero control over everything that goes into this house as far as food goes, I'm trying to get at least this part The one thing I have total control over right now is what I do physically, and what I am comfortable with IF when a meal isn't up to code.

So! If at all possible, is there anything I can do, with just normal household items? I'm not capable of pull ups right now, with weak arms and a lot to lift, it's just not feasible right now. Any suggestions would be great. I'm slowly working into pushups, I'm sure there's other things I can be trying as well.

Look at the Convict Conditioning Level 1 videos on Youtube. These start out at a really easy level.

Comment

Thanks! Will look into it. I suppose I just start at level one on everything, then just work my way up after the first level becomes too easy?

Comment

At least in the beginning, exercise bands are helpful. You can do quite a bit and adjust as you improve. Also, planks are equipment free.

I was checking out yoga videos, and I'm super active, so I thought "How hard can this be?" Yeah, it was rough. Netflix has a bunch, including the one I was trying to follow, which was Amazon.com: Crunch - Candlelight Yoga: Sara Ivanhoe: Movies & TV.
        Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
          At least in the beginning, exercise bands are helpful. You can do quite a bit and adjust as you improve. Also, planks are equipment free.

I was checking out yoga videos, and I'm super active, so I thought "How hard can this be?" Yeah, it was rough. Netflix has a bunch, including the one I was trying to follow, which was Amazon.com: Crunch - Candlelight Yoga: Sara Ivanhoe: Movies & TV.
          At least for now, I'll have to stick to whatever I can use that's around the house. No income of my own yet. So anything that requires money just isn't an option. Hence also why I'm focusing on the physical part of it (as much as possible with the rest). I will keep it in mind though, thanks.

Comment

Euphoric, outside of giving you specific advice on what you should do, lift, and so on, I want to address the other side of this coin.

You are new to physical activity which tells me that you don't see yourself as someone that is athletic, active, etc.,;

The first thing you must do is start to see yourself as 'one of those' people; one of those people that moves, that enjoys moving around, enjoys lifting things, because you ARE one of those people. EVERYONE is MADE to be active. I want you to get that into your head: you are an active human being, it's where you 'belong'.

Comment

Aye, I know. Thanks for the reminder though. I'm sure that might pop up sometime or another. If only limited, I'm still an active person by default. Even if I'm the reason for said limitation (if only mentally).

Comment

Yea.

For me, I had to cross the mental hurdle when I started squatting. I was always a weak little bitch and it took some time, and a lot of effort, to reshape the way I view myself; I had to become 'one of those' guys that lifts weights.

Comment

I'm already starting to see results with what I have been doing. I'm sure once it's ongoing, it'll be more than enough motivation to keep with that.

Speaking of weights, I have a really heavy box. Until I get too strong for it to be considered too heavy, would I be able to somehow incorporate that with LHT?

Comment

Yes and no. It depends on the box geometry and if you are able to lift it with safe form.

If it's unwieldy, I would say no, because you don't want to injure yourself.

But if you can get it up without risking injury, then of course, it can work.

As long as the weight is outside your comfort zone, heavier than what you are used to lifting, then this is absolutely Lifting Heavy Things.

Comment

Then it should be just fine. I'll just have to figure out how to go about incorporating it.

Comment

You can do a lot with what you have laying around the house. A bag full or water bottles, or anything else with weight to it can make a big difference. With all the weight you are carrying now, you may find it tough to do much bodyweight work, especially for upper body, but things like knee push ups and wall push ups are a good start.

I also thought this was pretty cool....(adjust to your own fitness level with weight, reps, modification etc)

I started incorporating a backpack with about 30lbs of water bottles into my bodyweight routines and love it, but you can use the backpack for curls, shrugs, rows, overhead press, tricep extensions etc until you are able to lift yourself more readily. It's less stable than dumbells are, which is probably good for stabilizer muscle development, and safer because it's soft rather than hard metal if you screw up.

Comment

I like that! Thanks for the video. I'll have to try and find something to do that with!

My biggest problem is definitely going to be my upper body. My lower should be just fine, at least, way more in comparison to my upper.

Comment

Walk and sprint. For body weight work Convict Conditioning as already suggested or Primal Blue Print Fitness. I love CC but either will do. The important thing is to lift and move, and look to progress.
                            Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                            PS
                            Don't forget to play!

Comment

Thanks! I do the walking when weather permits. It's been nasty here the last few weeks, so I've just taken to pacing around the house.

Comment

Working...
                              X