Sporadic LHT?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporadic LHT?

I am new here and have been eating Primal for about three months now. I have a question about lifting heavy things. I have a new job and workout time is getting cut into pretty hard, however at work I have time to slip in sets throughout the day. A set of pushups 30 mins later a set of overhead press and so on. My question is this just as effective as doing 30 minute workout? By the days end I will have done 200-250 pushups, 20-40 pullups, 2-3 sets of planks, 300-350 squats and 20-30 80lbs overhead presses and 4-10 handstand pushups. This is over a nine hour period of work I also w/use of a pedometer walk 10,000 to 12,000 steps (4-6miles) daily. I still sprint on sundays. Do you guys think I need to do anything else, because I don't get high intensity on the sets because of the big rest periods between sets?

That kind of practice is referred to as "greasing the groove." It works quite well! The key is to still focus on intensity, even if it's only for 10-20 seconds.

Check out the last third of this article: Dear Mark: Kosher, Weak Nails, Tea Seed Oil, and Greasing the Groove | Mark's Daily Apple
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

Thank you!!

Comment

I was actually just thinking about this today and am thinking of applying it to my workouts. It's really hard for me to get into a "workout mode" as the mood seems to strike me at odd times throughout the day.

Comment

Same here, but I've had great success with just knocking out a few sets of push-ups or pull-ups whenever the mood strikes. Once you allow yourself to "heed the call," it's easy to become a healthy habit.

Was in the truck and pulled over at a rest stop today- knocked out a bunch of decline push-ups using a park bench and did soem pull-ups on a tree until I couldn't do anymore, plus a few iso-metric lunges. LHT complete!

Comment

I'm late with an answer, sorry! But, I'm in a very similar (yet completely different) situation. My daughters and I just started homeschooling, so I don't have a ton of time to go the the gym anymore. I used to drop them at school and go for a leisurely 2-3 hour workout, come home for housework, then play mommy after school. Nowadays, though, I fit in my sets in between lessons or chores, and it works pretty well for me. I have to do my MS at the gym, where they have day care with a 2 hour time limit, but, by doing most of my LHT (must still buy a pull up bar for home) during school, I can fit my MS time in more easily. It's actually kind of fun to watch my 5 year old try to do overhead presses, but I'm encouraging her. If she learns now and keeps it up, she won't have to as an adult.
            Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Comment

Working...
            X