Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planks evil planks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Planks evil planks

    I read that the goal for women is a two minute plank. How many sets? Should I work up to two minutes and then add a set? I hate those suckers, but apparently they work! And the 50 push up goal. Once again, how many sets?

  • #2
    I do 1 min planks and 1 minute side planks at the end of each bodyweight / freeweight circuit which includes 15 pushups.
    I do the circuit 3 x
    I plan on increasing plank time and pushup sets - I don't really have a set goal - just to keep getting better I guess.
    my info:

    If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

    My journal

    Comment


    • #3
      Based on some of the obstacles in the Tough Mudder, I'm going to replace planks with what I'm going to call "plank walks".

      Basically some of the tunnels were small enough you had to inchworm forward on your elbows and toes, a few inches at a time. I'm going to do the same for 30-50 feet. It was an incredible ab workout.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Yaish View Post
        Based on some of the obstacles in the Tough Mudder, I'm going to replace planks with what I'm going to call "plank walks".

        Basically some of the tunnels were small enough you had to inchworm forward on your elbows and toes, a few inches at a time. I'm going to do the same for 30-50 feet. It was an incredible ab workout.
        wowwwwww abs of steel for sure

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Yaish View Post
          Based on some of the obstacles in the Tough Mudder, I'm going to replace planks with what I'm going to call "plank walks".

          Basically some of the tunnels were small enough you had to inchworm forward on your elbows and toes, a few inches at a time. I'm going to do the same for 30-50 feet. It was an incredible ab workout.
          Plank walks KILL. Do them forwards, do them backwards, do them bilaterally... killer. Oh yeah and be sure to do them on the elbows!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Yaish View Post
            Based on some of the obstacles in the Tough Mudder, I'm going to replace planks with what I'm going to call "plank walks".

            Basically some of the tunnels were small enough you had to inchworm forward on your elbows and toes, a few inches at a time. I'm going to do the same for 30-50 feet. It was an incredible ab workout.
            The tubes were murder on my calves as I could bend my knees or hips. I smoked my head twice in the tunnels.
            I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

            Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

            Comment


            • #7
              Doesn't doing planks pretty much just make you better at doing planks? Where's the functionality? I tried some side planks a few days ago and got bored after a few minutes of just laying there. I'll keep my playground rings and tree climbing for now, thanks.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cline View Post
                Plank walks KILL. Do them forwards, do them backwards, do them bilaterally... killer. Oh yeah and be sure to do them on the elbows!!!
                I'll second that! I was doing static planks for a couple of months at the end of each workout, but that did little get me ready for the plank walks that I recently adopted. Just a couple of workouts and I have weird "rib muscles" (serratus I believe?) popping out that have never been visible.

                It seems like a much more functional exercise in the theme of what Knifegill mentioned, or what one would see in MovNat.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I do planks as the last exercise, to burn out the abs or as active rest.

                  So lets say after you do a circuit, do a minute of planks before you start your second set.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by NWPrimate View Post
                    I'll second that! I was doing static planks for a couple of months at the end of each workout, but that did little get me ready for the plank walks that I recently adopted. Just a couple of workouts and I have weird "rib muscles" (serratus I believe?) popping out that have never been visible.

                    It seems like a much more functional exercise in the theme of what Knifegill mentioned, or what one would see in MovNat.
                    They are cool. Add a plate or sandbag on your back.

                    Follow up w bear crawls. Lol. I hate those things.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      work up to the two minutes. try adding 5 seconds per workout. i just worked up to a 3 minute hold post workout, and at that point it's a full-body exercise...so ease into time increases.

                      and +1 on walking planks or bear walks, or the upper level plank progressions in PBF...you'll get a lot more out of them if you're moving.
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I suck at planks. It's the one area where progress has been real slow for me on the PBF program.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I found planks too boring. I like doing the convict conditioning leg raises for that area of the body. Well I like convict conditioning for the entire body, but that's another topic.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Hardwarehank View Post
                            I found planks too boring. I like doing the convict conditioning leg raises for that area of the body. Well I like convict conditioning for the entire body, but that's another topic.
                            I've replaced planks with L-sit progressions.
                            I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

                            Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              My runner husband and daughter see a sports med chiro who has a big following here in the north bay and planks are his #1 prescription! Absolute magic for the entire skeletal-muscular system according to him...
                              But two minutes? wowza... Im a wimp!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X