Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Push-ups

Hey,

Recently got back to my training (after a very long break). Got myself the iron gym pull-up bar, it's a little narrow but it'll do. Only got one problem- push ups.
    When I perform them in my gym class, I have no problem whatsoever. Though when I do them at home, I get crazy headaches. It honestly feels like I spend the whole day standing on my head, then coming back down in an instant.
    What the heck's causing this? I would think it's something related to blood pressure if I'd have those problems during my gym class, but I don't.

I thought of the following reasons:
    1. My house has a lower oxygen concentration than in my gym class (which is in a pretty large hall).
    2. I do a much shorter warm up when I'm in my house. (Well.. I can't run around like I do in my gym class).
    3. My posture somehow gets worse when I'm home.
    4. I perform my workouts later in the day.
    5. I don't feel peer pressure when I'm in my house. In the gym class it's a whole different story.
    6. I get up too fast when I finish my push ups. (In my gym class I usually fall on the floor on the last rep, so It takes a few more seconds to get up).
    7. I somehow breath a little different when I'm home.

So, what's the culprit?

I vote for 2, 5, and 6.

Most of these are easy to test. Change one factor (for example, #6 -- stay on the floor for a few seconds) and see how you feel.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

1. My house has a lower oxygen concentration than in my gym class
      .....What? What other gases are displacing oxygen just within your home?
      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

quick, open a window!

Comment

Originally posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
          I vote for 2, 5, and 6.

Most of these are easy to test. Change one factor (for example, #6 -- stay on the floor for a few seconds) and see how you feel.
          I'm betting on these too, I will try that next time, thanks!

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
          .....What? What other gases are displacing oxygen just within your home?
          Well I was half joking, though it does get quite suffocating here, especially when the windows are closed and you don't get much fresh air.

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
          quick, open a window!
          Aye captain.

Comment

have you tried "grease the groove" while doing them?
            Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Comment

Originally posted by SoccerGrok View Post
              have you tried "grease the groove" while doing them?
              Isn't that related to pull-ups?

Comment

Originally posted by Drlove View Post
                Isn't that related to pull-ups?
                Not necessarily. It's just frequently used for pullups.
                Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

^^ What BarbeyGirl said. Paval recommends grease the groove for any exercise you are stalling/struggling on but you can only do it with no more than two exercises.
                  Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                  PS
                  Don't forget to play!

Comment

quick, open a window!

Comment

Sounds like a mental problem. Nothing physical is affecting your push ups.
                      "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Aye, but isn't grease the groove efficient for getting more pullups or in this case push-ups done?
                        It's not the problem. The problem is the after-effect.

I do think that there might be some mental issue involved, making the situation worse than it really is.
                        Point is, how do I solve that mental problem?

Comment

warm up properly. give maximum effort. and recover for a minute before you get up. take your home workouts as seriously as you take your gym workouts. you shouldn't feel "peer pressure" in the gym. you are there to work out for yourself. i've seen way too many idiots get hurt at the gym trying to bench or squat too much to look cool or impress a girl or look tough in front of the guys. that's part of the reason i've worked out at home for the past 8 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Drlove View Post
                            Aye, but isn't grease the groove efficient for getting more pullups or in this case push-ups done?
                            It's not the problem. The problem is the after-effect.

I do think that there might be some mental issue involved, making the situation worse than it really is.
                            Point is, how do I solve that mental problem?
                            Not sure, I would probably stop doing push-ups in the gym and only do them at home for awhile. Then you aren't comparing the two. Start with what you can do at home and build up from there.
                            "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                              warm up properly. give maximum effort. and recover for a minute before you get up. take your home workouts as seriously as you take your gym workouts. you shouldn't feel "peer pressure" in the gym. you are there to work out for yourself. i've seen way too many idiots get hurt at the gym trying to bench or squat too much to look cool or impress a girl or look tough in front of the guys. that's part of the reason i've worked out at home for the past 8 years.
                              Don't get me wrong, I'm well past impressing anyone, (Not that my pushups are all that impressive anyhow).
                              I actually feel the same in the gym (which I left, well.. still have a membership, gotta cancel it), I'm talking about gym class, with my friends and all. When saying peer pressure, I now realize it was probably wrong. I think it's more like a cheerful prospect. When I'm home I don't feel all that cheerful and easy minded (in the sport lesson with my friends, it's a whole different story). Maybe it's because I'm feeling a little more "down" when I'm home.

Originally posted by Fernaldo View Post
                              Not sure, I would probably stop doing push-ups in the gym and only do them at home for awhile. Then you aren't comparing the two. Start with what you can do at home and build up from there.
                              As I mentioned above, I mean gym class, not the gym itself. When I did push-ups at the gym I felt quite shitty as well (as far as I can recall).

Comment

Working...
                              X