Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People doing Crossfit: what do your meals look like and are you losing fat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People doing Crossfit: what do your meals look like and are you losing fat?

I'm mostly trying to understand how the glycogen loading works at its best. And the volume of food you guys eat. I'm doing heavy lifts coupled with sprints for my sports training, and seeing how heavy lifting by itself has helped me to gain a bunch of fat, I want to get back down at least to where I started.
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

I cant answer your question but why do you believe heavy lifting has added fat onto your frame?

Comment

if i was crossfitting 3x per week, and going hard every time, i'd be eating 60% of kcals on those days from white rice, sweet potatos, and fruit. and i'd be eating at maintenence, or more likely 20% over mainentence.

Comment

Yes, I am losing fat and doing CF, but I don't eat any differently on the days I workout. I do CF twice a week. I usually eat two primal meals a day. Some days I snack, and some days I fast in lieu of a third meal. The only thing I do a little differently is that if I haven't eaten in more than six hours before CF, I will eat an apple or some nuts or something before I go in - I think it improves my workout. I'd love to hear more advice on this, though.
        My True Primal Story

Comment

If I could somehow convince my wife that it's a good idea to drop $250 a month on Crossfit classes (for just one of us, mind you) for a minimum of three months....well, i'd love to join you all.

Comment

Originally posted by The Scott View Post
            I cant answer your question but why do you believe heavy lifting has added fat onto your frame?
            My clothes are tighter? I started off with huge muscles so I don't think I could have gained very much muscle

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
              My clothes are tighter?
              it can't be muscle?

if you're eating above maintenence, and lifting heavy, you may have packed on some fat and muscle.

but if you're eating below maintenence, and you're eating primally, it's extremely unlikely that it's fat.

Comment

Exercising doesn't make you put on fat, your problem lies with your eating habits. Try eating less starchy vegetables.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen73ta View Post
                  Exercising doesn't make you put on fat, your problem lies with your eating habits. Try eating less starchy vegetables.
                  I ate mainly fat and protein, with spinach and limited onions and cauliflower, for the last 2 months and I'm pretty sure I've gained weight.

I don't know how to regulate my intake on eating above or below "maintenance" because I eat when I'm hungry, and pretty much only strictly primal foods with minimal carbs, save several days of the month for that TOTM...I only feel satisfied after I've eaten maybe 2,000-2,500 calories/day ish.

I also hate getting weak so I really don't want to eliminate exercise altogether

Comment

I'd try lowering your fat intake and upping your carb intake. I tried to gain weight on a high-fat diet and gained more fat than when I bulked on a higher carb-diet.

Comment

I don't know, I sort of eat intuitively a lot of the time, but here are a few CF days from my food log (I note workout days):

Sample day (from my food log):

Breakfast:
                      paleo chocolate chip banana bread (3 pc)
                      3 sunny eggs
                      Tibetan-style butter tea

Lunch (post-workout, I do CF at noon):
                      6 oz. steak
                      banana-cado pudding
                      butter tea
                      250 ml coconut water

Afternoon:
                      banana bread
                      random raw veggies (I was at a social event and munched off the veggie tray)

Dinner:
                      Primal bibimbap (from the Quick and Easy Meals cookbook)

Another sample day:

Breakfast:
                      paleo pumpkin custard
                      butter coffee (bulletproof-style, but with EVCO)

Lunch:
                      Banana-cado pudding
                      4 chicken thighs
                      250 ml coconut water

Dinner:
                      Ratatouille
                      Ground pork w/celery, mushrooms, onion, bacon, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper
                      355 ml hard cider

Another one:

Breakfast:
                      4 oz roast beef
                      banana
                      coffee with nut creamer (tried it, wasn't big on it, won't buy it again)

Lunch:
                      kale chips
                      3 eggs
                      3/4 cup fresh pineapple

Dinner (random fridge foraging night):
                      pumpkin custard
                      3 eggs
                      large leftover meatball (maybe 6 oz?)
                      big bowl of raw spinach with olive oil and red wine vinegar
                      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Oh, and I am losing fat.
                        “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Owly, what time do you typically do workouts? I'm assuming you do CF 3x a week?

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                            I'd try lowering your fat intake and upping your carb intake. I tried to gain weight on a high-fat diet and gained more fat than when I bulked on a higher carb-diet.
                            Will consider that. Maybe I'll fit in a sweet potato every day for the immediate feeling of satiety.

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                              Owly, what time do you typically do workouts? I'm assuming you do CF 3x a week?
                              Usually I work out at noon. I'm at home working on my thesis, so the noon class is a nice break in my day and is not as busy as the evening times.

I get up with my partner in the morning (usually around 5:30 am) and have breakfast around 10:00 am so that I can have it reasonably well digested by the time I get to the noon CF class. I get pukey if I eat too close to working out.

Then I eat after I get home from CF--this is usually by about 2:00 pm. I eat dinner in the evening somewhere around 7-8 pm, and then generally fast through to breakfast (except for coffee). I do 3x week (MWF), although I may step that up to 4x weekly soon depending on whether I think my knee can handle it.

Owly's Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X