Power lifting and weight loss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by otzi View Post
    I'll bet he didn't gain 100lbs of muscle! This is probably a good case for people to follow. Started PB 220lbs overweight, lost 100lbs in first year, then hit a 6 mo stall. Definitely something going on if he digs deep enough. I hit a stall, though not quite as drastic and it turned out to be thyroid related. I couldn't lose no matter how low I cut the calories. Hit walls in workouts. Fixing the thyroid broke the stall. If labs check out, he should try out the Digital Surgeon Leptin Reset.
    The 4 pounds he gained back after losing 100 when he started exercising after having not exercised could easily be muscle.

Leptin reset wouldn't hurt anything.
    Lifting Journal

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
      I'll bet he didn't gain 100lbs of muscle! This is probably a good case for people to follow. Started PB 220lbs overweight, lost 100lbs in first year, then hit a 6 mo stall. Definitely something going on if he digs deep enough. I hit a stall, though not quite as drastic and it turned out to be thyroid related. I couldn't lose no matter how low I cut the calories. Hit walls in workouts. Fixing the thyroid broke the stall. If labs check out, he should try out the Digital Surgeon Leptin Reset.
      Thanks a lot for this otzi, I've read over the basics and it sounds like exactly what I need to try. Ironically I would have to stop lifting weights for awhile which is the one thing I am unclear on. Dr. Jack says once we are no longer LR we can start lifting heavy things again, but he has also said that if we are overweight we would be LR. This can't mean that there is no physical activity until we have less than 30 lbs to lose though. I took it to mean we do the LR for 6-8 weeks and once we feel we are LS again, we can start lifting weights again.

Can anyone confirm that? I looked through some links but the threads are really huge. The weightlifting is part of my physical therapy so I'm anxious to know.

Comment

Yeah - man, I wish some nerd like Mark would help me verify how legit Dr. Kruse is. I have a feeling I'll be trying the same thing soon, but not before I put a lot more effort into my exercise regimen over the next month. If going hard as I can (with enough recovery time, don't worry) for a month still doesn't do much on the weight scale, it'll be time to experiment.
        Starting weight: 225
        Current weight: 195
        Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
        Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
        My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Comment

I've lost weight and fat, but not changed shirt sizes. That's an amazing thing about Primal. Traditionally, I've always been told it's not possible or efficient to both lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, but with changing body composition, that seems to be exactly what I'm experiencing. It's weird, but cool.

There were actually old pics of me fitting in much smaller shirts, and I've always thought to myself that I'd love to be back to that weight. I kept those old shirts wishing someday they'd fit again. However, I look at those photos now, and I think "man I look sickly!" Yes I was thinner, but I was pale, my arms were smaller, and I just looked... off. At first I was disappointed that I couldn't fit into those shirts, now, with a properly-proportioned chest (Im a guy), it appears I was never meant to.

Comment

Originally posted by Rajput View Post
            Thanks a lot for this otzi, I've read over the basics and it sounds like exactly what I need to try. Ironically I would have to stop lifting weights for awhile which is the one thing I am unclear on. Dr. Jack says once we are no longer LR we can start lifting heavy things again, but he has also said that if we are overweight we would be LR. This can't mean that there is no physical activity until we have less than 30 lbs to lose though. I took it to mean we do the LR for 6-8 weeks and once we feel we are LS again, we can start lifting weights again.

Can anyone confirm that? I looked through some links but the threads are really huge. The weightlifting is part of my physical therapy so I'm anxious to know.
            All the Dr. K leptin stuff is useless without knowing where you stand in terms of metabolism/body chemistry. He will tell you that. If I stalled 6 mo w/100lbs to go, I would make an appt with an Endocrinologist and ask for a good set of labs. As a minimum, test thyroid function, cholesterol, testosterone, glucose, vit D, and whatever else they can think of. Dr. K has a good post on his blog about labs: What labs are required for optimization? - Jack Kruse

Comment

Sorry to necro this thread, but I just found it on Google. I have been doing Stronglifts 5x5 off and on for a year (mostly off I guess). I've gotten stronger but not really lost weight. I actually don't care what that weight number is, what I care about is my belly hanging over my waistband or my double chin.

So what is they key? Low carbs, high protein, and powerlifting? I have read on Starting Strength that some people who are cutting while powerlifting will just go low carb on their days off and eat some carbs sometime before they lift. Does this make sense?

And I know, I should cut out the beer... that's the hardest thing.

Comment

Eat meat, veggies, fruits and coconut. If you're wondering if you're eating too much of something, you probably are.

Also, don't cheat. ''But but... beer-chocolate-oreos-twinkies-yogourt-oatm...''

Don't. Cheat.

Comment

I've started LeanGains and like what I've seen. A lot of people say it's not about calories, but they do have something to do with it IMO. I find I get hungrier while lifting heavy so if I don't watch, I can easily go over.

Comment

Originally posted by fufonzo View Post
                    I've started LeanGains and like what I've seen. A lot of people say it's not about calories, but they do have something to do with it IMO. I find I get hungrier while lifting heavy so if I don't watch, I can easily go over.
                    Are you just following leangains straight-up? Is it hard to do eating Primal? I keep thinking about starting it, but it's more counting than I'm into right now, and I typically like working out 5 days a week in some capacity. Do you mind providing a few details about how your doing it and results?

Comment

Working...
                    X