Tough Mudder Training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tough Mudder Training

I'm doing the Tough Mudder in Pennsylvania (Round 2) and was wondering if anyone has competed in one, what training they did, if the training worked, etc!

Thanks

I'll let you know in 3.5 weeks... TM SoCal #1
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

i haven't done the tough mudder, but i love mud runs. check out the spartan race...they email out a workout of the day that is perfect for training for something like the tough mudder.
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

one week till SoCal TM. Ran 4.3k today with my buddy that I'm doing the TM with. My last run was 7 weeks ago, the same 4.3k and my time went from 37min down to 28min (really easy pace both times [~11min mile], the first time I was bagged after, this time I feel great).

My training has been Starting Strength 3 days, with Ultimate (aka 60min of sprints) one night and Volley Ball (plyos) one night each week. I've been doing zero distance training (aside from the 2 runs 7 weeks apart). After the race I'll let you know just how broken I am .

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

awesome, thanks man! I've been heavily neglecting distance training too...lol mostly just alot of metcon mixed with strength workouts and muay thai/jiu jitsui when i can find time for those classes!

Comment

You just have to remember it isn't a 12 mile run, it's more like 24 half mile runs

Comment

I'm doing the Melbourne TM on March 31st. I do bootcamp 3 times a week and have gone on 12, 15 and 20km runs in recent weeks. My plan is to keep doing boot camps and go on a couple more 15-20km runs.
              My goal is just to finish, I don't care about time. My weakness is strength in relation to body weight. I'm not weak, but I can't do a pull up. So my worry is draining myself trying to climb walls etc and not having the energy to finish.

Comment

Federkeil, I'm doing the TM on Saturday too. Team Axis of Awesomeness, we've a 10:40 start time. My team is mostly Paleo as well, if you're there we should meet up.

The longest distance I've gone is about 6 miles. As was said, it really isn't a 12 mile run, it's a bunch of short 1/2 to 3/4 miles interspersed with obstacles. I've not done it but I'd say a great way to train would be to stop every half mile, bust out 20 burpees and run again.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaish View Post
                  Federkeil, I'm doing the TM on Saturday too. Team Axis of Awesomeness, we've a 10:40 start time. My team is mostly Paleo as well, if you're there we should meet up.

The longest distance I've gone is about 6 miles. As was said, it really isn't a 12 mile run, it's a bunch of short 1/2 to 3/4 miles interspersed with obstacles. I've not done it but I'd say a great way to train would be to stop every half mile, bust out 20 burpees and run again.
                  Team Canadian Bacon at 8:40

It'll be me and my buddy, two 6'6" guys in Canada Flag morph suits. I should be easy to spot. My buddy will be winning the Strongest Mudder drinking competition at the end of the day.

Comment

I plan on doing TM Sydney in September! Still trying to get a team together. My training is soccer and weights workouts. Can't do a single pullup so I'm working on that as well.
                    Starting weight: 90kg (11/3/13) (33.1 BMI)
                    Current weight: 89.5kg (12/3/13) (32.9 BMI)
                    Goal weight: 75kg (27.5 BMI)
                    Short term goal: BMI under 30
                    Mid term goal:
                    40 pushups, 100 situps, 10 pullups, 10.1 beep test, >10m 2.4km run
                    Long term goal: Enlist as an ARA Combat Engineer

Comment

Yup, that ought to be easy to spot. I'll look for you at sign ups.

Comment

I did the Wisconsin Tough Mudder last august with a group of 10 or so people. To be honest, I did no specific training for it-just continued the same things i was doing at the time(Simplefit and rock climbing 3x a week). The only issue I had was the actual running(11 miles up and down a ski hill for us). I've never been one for any sort of cardio, so i kind of expected that to be my issue. The obstacles themselves weren't all that difficult. If you've been good about LHT and/or HIIT body weight stuff, you should be fine.

TM was an absolute blast. I'm running it again this May with a couple new people that had decided only to watch last summer. Good luck!
                        -Nilaiha
                        my primal journal

Comment

I'm a bit concerned that my knee will hold up for the duration of the run. I tweaked it doing parkour a couple weeks ago, but it'll be sleeved up and it's been good for short runs.

Comment

Hi Gale i'm doing TM Round 2 in PA as well. Running the saturday race. I've been slowly adding longer distance running into my workouts so when that 12 miles comes at us we are ready. Every thing else is just bodyweight training and stuff a few days a week.
                            ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Comment

I did the last TM VA, and for training I supplemented my weight lifting with between-set sprints. I had 0 trouble with any of the burst strength obstacles.

If I do another one, I will definitely add in hill running... VA was on a ski slope, and I was not prepared for how much hill climbing there was.

Comment

Working...
                              X