Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any other kettle bell enthusiasts out there?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any other kettle bell enthusiasts out there?

I would love to get to know some others that are into kettle bells. After years of chronic cardio, I am now obsessed with these kettle bells. I do not have my own but attend classes about 4 times a week. Would love to compare workouts, get suggestions for weight progress, etc.
    http://itcantbe2012already.blogspot.com/

I've been into kettlebell's for a bit now! I'm a male who started with a 35 lb and am looking to buy a 53 soon. Start with the basic swing...if you're going to classes they'll definitely be watching your form because form is everything with kettlebells. I find KB's to be fantastic because they teach you to use your body as a unit with a relatively light weight (though the workout won't feel light). When i started I used kettlebells more as a strength tool with sets and rests but now am doing more of interval timing with swings, snatches, cleans, etc. so that it is more of a strength/endurance and conditioning tool! Enjoy it!!

Comment

i am a HUGE kettlebell enthusiast. shameless plug here, but i work out at one of the nation's premiere kettlebell-intensive gyms. they have a really awesome online community where they post videos, daily workouts and other good stuff at Training Room Online - Online Kettlebell Training Studio. if you're looking for workouts, they only charge $11/month for access. they had to put up a pay wall because i think gyms were stealing their workouts. it's free for members.

would love to share workouts with you all.

here's a recent workout i did... double kettlebell clean/squat/press complex paired with pull-ups.

laddered up from 1 to 5 reps, then down from 5 to 1 reps while alternating between the two movements

so the reps broke down like this:
      1 clean/squat/press @ 2x24kg then 1 pull-up
      2 clean/squat/press @ 2x24kg then 2 pull-ups
      3 clean/squat/press @ 2x24kg then 3 pull-ups
      4 clean/squat/press @ 2x24kg then 4 pull-ups
      5 clean/squat/press @ 2x26kg then 5 pull-ups
      5 clean/squat/press @ 2x26kg then 5 pull-ups
      4 clean/squat/press @ 2x28kg then 4 pull-ups
      3 clean/squat/press @ 2x28kg then 3 pull-ups
      2 clean/squat/press @ 2x32kg then 2 pull-ups
      1 clean/squat/press @ 2x32kg then 1 pull-up

Comment

Kettlebells are great. A group of us used to train in the park on a Sunday when I was in the UK. We would do KB, sandbag and body-weight work. Part of our warmup was the
        Kettle Bell 300 Meltdown
        25 V-ups
        50 snatches (25 each arm)
        25 pushups
        50 Swings
        50 Burpies
        50 Clean and Press
        50 Mountain Climbers

As soon as you got your time under 10 minutes it was time to up the weight. My best time with the 20kg KB was 9 min 20 sec and with the 24Kg KB is 9 min 46 sec.
        Work hard during this and it will probably be a few minutes before you stop seeing stars.
        Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
        PS
        Don't forget to play!

Comment

Dang, Dirlot -- i totally want to do that workout right now.

Comment

By God, yes.

Can I suggest you check out Eric J Moss' channel on Youtube - search Rockbodyfitness.
            Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Comment

Thanks all for the replies and the links! I can't wait to see even more progress with my work with the kettlebells. I still haven't gotten the hang of some of the moves (snatches for instance) but I will get there.
              http://itcantbe2012already.blogspot.com/

Comment

absolutely adore kettlebells, but I have troubles building them into my weekly routine so they don't interfere with the recovery from barbell. The 3x a week lifting plus 1 40 min KB session did not work After I do my cut I am starting this week, I will try 2x a week lifting schedule, than I can put back some dynamic kettlebells, perhaps with light KBs. I adore the huge motions and the sense of freedom and wild workout they give me.

My KB workout was in super-sets (3 sets, work my way up from 8 to 12 moves on each side, then up the weight) In between the sets I was just rotating the KB around my body while HR went down:

Figure 8 & KB 1hd swing.

front lung w forward path & side lunge with frontal rise

side bend with press up & one handed snatches

One legged deadlift & turkish get-up
                Last edited by Leida; 01-29-2012, 10:53 AM.
                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

love em' !

Comment

This thread is perfect!

I seriously just posted another thread about how I would not have easy access to a gym where I'm moving and with my time schedule, so I am trying to build my own workout area out of resistance bands, a pullup bar, rings, and a kettlebell set.

Not having access to olympic lifting stuff is going to suck, but I feel like with proper programming I can maintain some pretty good fitness with good kettlebell routines!

Comment

Originally posted by MyDogTuff View Post
                      Thanks all for the replies and the links! I can't wait to see even more progress with my work with the kettlebells. I still haven't gotten the hang of some of the moves (snatches for instance) but I will get there.

the snatch is a difficult move to master, but here are a few tips that helped me.

first, your grip. i like to start with the handle of the bell angle at approximately 45 degrees diagonally from my body. i also tend to grab the handle at the inside corner, rather than the middle for snatches.

then, imagine the first part of the movement as a straight high pull. this works equally well whether you're snatching from a dead start or from a swing. imagine you are facing a wall and rip the bell straight up. don't swing it way far out in front of yourself.

pull up until your hand and arm are above shoulder height and then punch through the handle. the punch through is hard to get the feel for, but once you do it will all click. the punch motion helps prevent the discomfort of having the weight flop all the way over your hand and banging your wrist.

i hope that helps!

Comment

hey and speak of the devil! my coach is interviewed in a new article on mensfitness.com about some of the dangers inherent with kettlebell training. check it: 10 Dangerous Kettlebell Mistakes - Men's Fitness

Comment

Tom,

I can't figure out how to access the workout programming like you mentioned earlier... can you point me to where I can sign up for that? I emailed Mike but have gotten no response from him.

Comment

I've been doing KBs since 2003. I absolutely love them. I even got to do a seminar with Pavel once; that was fun. I'm hoping to do the RKC I in the next year or so (suffering from a hand injury so I can't snatch right now).

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
                              Tom,

I can't figure out how to access the workout programming like you mentioned earlier... can you point me to where I can sign up for that? I emailed Mike but have gotten no response from him.
                              here's the sign-up page!

https://www.trainingroomonline.com/members/signup.php

Comment

Working...
                              X