No announcement yet.

Over did my pull ups = elbow pain HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over did my pull ups = elbow pain HELP!

Hi everyone, in my attempt to get my first muscle-up, and also increase my pull ups rep count, for the second half of last year i trained mostly pull ups. Three or four times a week i was crankin from 50 to 100 pull ups per workout.Everything was going fine until i got a pull up bar at home, to do the "greasin the groove" thing namely crank a few reps each time i passed through the bar, but i didn't stop doing the long workouts.Well suddenly i started feeling a slight pain in my right elbow joint, precisely where the bicep starts.Now i can't pull one rep without pain not only that, i can't even do the motion of a bicep curl without weights and not feel any pain! In that motion, when my thumb touches my shoulder, when i lock the curl, that's when it hurts.
    Just needed some help regarding treatment or general pointers.
    for the record i stopped doing any kind of pulling exercises a month ago.
    Thanks in advance

you should see a doctor, you may have a partial tear. at the very least, your body is saying: stop this behavior at once! listen to it.

Comment

You done wore that groove out!!! take a break from that type of exercise for a couple weeks and see how it feels. Might just be tendinitis due to a bit of over stressing.
      "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

You need to invest in a rocking chair and sit out on the front porch to rock away.

WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? Superman?

Grizz

Comment

Yes, sounds like tendonitis. Do pushups (seriously). Also you can do a stretch where you twist your right arm so that your thumb rolls in towards your body then ends up pointing away with your palm facing forward. Then you hold your right hand with your left and twist it further, bending your elbow slightly, until you feel a good stretch in the elbow region.
          You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Rest, and maybe ice (the cold water kind LOL!). An anti-inflammatory cream such as Voltaren gel may benefit but remember it is a painkiller also & do no heavy work (or pull ups!) while taking it
            Odille
            F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
            following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Comment

Thanks a lot for the input guys/girls!
              i knew it 's kind of an extreme approach, and i should have known better, but i really bought the whole "the more you do a specific skill..." thing regarding pull ups.
              I was just trying to be AL KAVADLO!!! HAHA

Comment

Rest, ice, compression wraps if needed and an anti-inflammatory perhaps

Rest means don't do anything that makes it hurt. Pay attention to this because its quite possible that as it heals it won't hurt DURING the activity but will hurt later.

Ice packs on the area for 20 minutes at least a couple times a day and especially right after any exercise where you may have stressed it a bit

Compression wraps if there is any swelling or if just having some support makes it hurt less.

Ibuprofen is a good thing for a while. You want to keep the inflammation down while it heals

Also if you find that a particular muscle is tight (and hence keeping some tension on a tendon) you might try some very focused self massage on that area too.

Comment

just stop doing it for a couple of days or month and start only when you get properly recovered

Comment

WTF, upto 100 pull ups at every work out and you work out four times a week, so 400 pull ups a week!!

Your doing too many pulls up man, I'm not surprised your got a sore elbow.
                    www.paleotrainingbible.com

Comment

Augustin,

I know it's 2 years since your post, but I hope you have recovered and are still striving to attain those
                      reps on the pull ups. A few things to know: The reps are not what hurt you. You could do 400 +
                      a day if you wanted without injury. What caused your injury is as to how you performed those reps.

Were they controlled or were many fast, reckless, just to get you up there using momentum?
                      Another thing is to never ever lock out at the joints in any exercise especially the exers. that leave your
                      biceps tendon (distal) or ligaments vulnerable to serious injury tearing them from the bone.

The preacher curl using moderate weight going to full lock out at bottom is an open invitation to a tendon
                      tear, let alone a bar loaded with heavy weight. A dead lift using the staggered grip will always leave the
                      supinated bicep vulnerable to tearing off the bone, no matter how good the technique employed is.
                      You get away with it for a while so you believe your technique is impervious, you keep adding weight
                      to the bar until one day or night that little bicep tendon can't hold such weight at lockout. It leaves
                      those powerlifters wondering what they did wrong...supination + lockout + heavy weight =eventual
                      distal tear.

A pronated grip is far safer, so is using straps to hold onto the weight. But triceps can tear too.
                      It is usually the weight and locking out that will do the tendon/muscle in. Just be careful, and
                      don't go above a certain weight for a long long time...gives tendons a chance to build up. Tendons do
                      not get blood supply, the muscles take it. Same with your pull ups...don't add reps quickly, build up slow.
                      Once you rupture a tendon, tear a ligament, joint, or rupture a muscle, you will have respect for these
                      small under rated components that will leave you out for a while if not careful and patient.

Pull ups using bodyweight especially if you weigh 190 + using momentum up and coming down fast to
                      full lock out at bottom will tear a distal tendon clean off bone, i see guys at the gym add 45lb plates and
                      do this. I don't see them after a month or so after doing this. Going to full lock out controlled can damage
                      ligaments and still pull tendon from bone.

When you go to full lock out in any exercise...you take the weight off the muscles and tendons where
                      the weight belongs, and transfer all of it to the smaller joints ligaments and tendons. The muscles relax
                      at lock out so the tendons, bones, joints, etc pay the price. Not worth the price of a tear that requires
                      surgery.

Perform your pull-ups carefully avoiding the lock out at bottom (think lazy you will get through the reps
                      faster since you don't rest at the bottom for each rep) you will even grow more because of this fact,
                      since the muscles are working due to constantly bearing the load, the tendons will get stronger
                      due to helping out, however the joints, ligaments, and tendons will not have to bear all the weight on
                      their own at the most vulnerable weakest position refered to as lock out. GOD Bless 7776
                      Last edited by 7776; 03-15-2013, 07:09 PM.

Comment

As I'm recovering from my elbow pain, I hugely appreciate this message!!

Thank you for this fantastic message. Its very informative, and welcome!

Regards,
                        Vishnu

Originally posted by 7776 View Post
                        Augustin,

I know it's 2 years since your post, but I hope you have recovered and are still striving to attain those
                        reps on the pull ups. A few things to know: The reps are not what hurt you. You could do 400 +
                        a day if you wanted without injury. What caused your injury is as to how you performed those reps.

Were they controlled or were many fast, reckless, just to get you up there using momentum?
                        Another thing is to never ever lock out at the joints in any exercise especially the exers. that leave your
                        biceps tendon (distal) or ligaments vulnerable to serious injury tearing them from the bone.

The preacher curl using moderate weight going to full lock out at bottom is an open invitation to a tendon
                        tear, let alone a bar loaded with heavy weight. A dead lift using the staggered grip will always leave the
                        supinated bicep vulnerable to tearing off the bone, no matter how good the technique employed is.
                        You get away with it for a while so you believe your technique is impervious, you keep adding weight
                        to the bar until one day or night that little bicep tendon can't hold such weight at lockout. It leaves
                        those powerlifters wondering what they did wrong...supination + lockout + heavy weight =eventual
                        distal tear.

A pronated grip is far safer, so is using straps to hold onto the weight. But triceps can tear too.
                        It is usually the weight and locking out that will do the tendon/muscle in. Just be careful, and
                        don't go above a certain weight for a long long time...gives tendons a chance to build up. Tendons do
                        not get blood supply, the muscles take it. Same with your pull ups...don't add reps quickly, build up slow.
                        Once you rupture a tendon, tear a ligament, joint, or rupture a muscle, you will have respect for these
                        small under rated components that will leave you out for a while if not careful and patient.

Pull ups using bodyweight especially if you weigh 190 + using momentum up and coming down fast to
                        full lock out at bottom will tear a distal tendon clean off bone, i see guys at the gym add 45lb plates and
                        do this. I don't see them after a month or so after doing this. Going to full lock out controlled can damage
                        ligaments and still pull tendon from bone.

When you go to full lock out in any exercise...you take the weight off the muscles and tendons where
                        the weight belongs, and transfer all of it to the smaller joints ligaments and tendons. The muscles relax
                        at lock out so the tendons, bones, joints, etc pay the price. Not worth the price of a tear that requires
                        surgery.

Perform your pull-ups carefully avoiding the lock out at bottom (think lazy you will get through the reps
                        faster since you don't rest at the bottom for each rep) you will even grow more because of this fact,
                        since the muscles are working due to constantly bearing the load, the tendons will get stronger
                        due to helping out, however the joints, ligaments, and tendons will not have to bear all the weight on
                        their own at the most vulnerable weakest position refered to as lock out. GOD Bless 7776

Comment

Working...
                        X