LIFTERS- smith machine: love it or hate it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dragonmamma View Post
    I would have agreed with you last year, because I always thought that a proper squat produced a slightly curved forward/backward arc with the barbell. But then I saw an interesting breakdown of the movement (I'm thinking it was at T-Nation?) where they took videos of pros squatting with perfect form from a side view, and they super-imposed a red line over the movement of the bar which showed that it was perfectly straight up and down with no forward/backward shifting of the body at all. It surprised me.
    this is true. but, one can't learn the proper form and motion or develop the proper supporting muscles while using a smith machine. so using a smith machine in order to push a weight up a fixed plane using any form you seem fit is not a good idea

Comment

Originally posted by cline View Post
      Yeah. the other night I was doing squats with the rack and a dude told me to go use the smith machine in the other room. I had to tell him no three times.
      What did he want it for, barbell-curls?
      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
      PS
      Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
        What did he want it for, barbell-curls?
        ha ha! I wish. No, he just didn't want me in the weightlifing area. He was doing some jumping thing (not really a burpee) and there was plenty of room. I think, honestly, he didn't like having a woman in there. He didn't tell the guy doing calf raises in the other rack to go use the smith machine. The gym went co-ed about 10 years ago and a lot of the guys still take big issue with it. There are almost never women in the weight rooms. If they are, they are on machines.

Comment

Probably the only decent use for a Smith machine:
          Mistressing the pullup :: stumptuous.com

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
            this is true. but, one can't learn the proper form and motion or develop the proper supporting muscles while using a smith machine. so using a smith machine in order to push a weight up a fixed plane using any form you seem fit is not a good idea
            This.

Comment

I have a much larger beef with people who put those large pads on the bar, that is sooooo not good.

Comment

It is difficult to get yourself properly set up using the smith machine for squats BUT when you get your position right you can do them successfully, I can do both free weight and smith machine and it is much easier to get your form right with a barbell, it is almost impossible to go low into a squat on the smith (when lifting heavy) if you haven't got this position right.

Comment

thanks for the feedback. ill stay away from it till im sure my form is on point

Comment

Working...
                  X