new deadlift PR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new deadlift PR

a couple weeks ago i tried to max out on deadlift and was not able to lift more then 245. it seems my hamstrings/glutes arent really that strong so i decided to work on them. i started doing stiff leg dead lifts, started at 135 and worked my way up to 185 adding weight each workout. i was doing 5 sets of 5. i did this for a couple weeks and then got busy and i havent worked out since before christmas, so nearly a month

anyways i was out in the garage tonight and needed to move my weights out of the way and decided just for the heck of it to just pick up the weights and move them. the 185 felt really light so i decided to just go for it and put all the weights i have on, which is 300lbs total including the bar. i was able to quite easily lift the 300 5 times! i am pretty stoked about it. i know considering my height and weight its probably not that impressive but ive never really lifted weights (including bodyweight stuff) before this year and considering i havent worked out in a month i thought it was really cool and wanted to share

i guess i need to get some more weight plates soon!
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Congrats! That's awesome! And I wouldn't worry about what's "impressive" for someone your height and weight--worry about continuing to improve and do your best in your own body. A new PR is always worth celebrating.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Pretty impressive! That's some quick growth.

Comment

i am proud of you

Comment

Outstanding! any progress is great progress!!!
          Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Comment

Rock on! Deadlift rules!

Comment

Awesome stuff! 400lbs here you come!

Comment

Excellent work Mike!
                Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                Brute Force Sandbags
                www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

A 300 lb deadlift is a lot of weight - I had to work pretty hard to get there. Congrats!
                  If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Well done!
                    Lifting Journal

Comment

Looks like you had enough recovery time to be able to lift that much weight.

Maybe, what you did before was simply too much and not enough recovery time.

Comment

This is great!! I'm inspired so sharing my own:

I hit a DL PR last night too.

Not as great, but I'm female and only 5'7" AND 9 mos out from major knee and ankle surgery. DL = 205 lbs last night. I smiled all the way home. My trainer is awesome and such a huge help.

Comment

The hell??? I maxed out at 225x2 several weeks ago and haven't gotten close since then. Maybe I should stop going to the gym for a few weeks LOL.
                          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Speaks to the effectiveness of not over training. Most intermediate level lifting templates put Deadlift work at once a week, Sometimes once every 8-10 days. Its one of the easiest lifts to overtrain and knacker your nervous system, especially if you train heavy, which you should. Growing strength has more to do with proper recovery than it does with lifting for reps. two Heavy work sets, once a week. gets the job done.

Comment

thanks everybody! im currently looking for a good deal on some more olympic plates. hoping to find some on craigslist cheap
                              Primal Chaos
                              37yo 6'5"
                              6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                              current 338lbs 49" waist
                              goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Working...
                              X