coming off the P90x...need exercise help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coming off the P90x...need exercise help

i am very new to the primal lifestyle i think i am only about 70% primal in diet thou! My question is what exercises would you reccomend for a person who has come off the p90x... i enjoyed it initially and then i felt i was actually loosing a lot of strength with the system.

Thou dont let me deter anyone away from this as it is very good for some one who wants to spend about hour to hour and a half doing this stuff. I am still gonna use the yoga and core synergistics out of it as they are both amazing and also plyometrics everynow and again

I have gone away from the subject! I want to start a routine that takes up about 30mins roughly where i get a totaly body work out, maybe 3 to 4 times a week

Any suggestions for woukouts? routines? where it is kind of structured? I dont want to join a gym in the past they have just got me unmotivated so want to be able to do these at home! I only have dumbells, mat and a pull up bar at home!

Very grateful for any help

Welcome to the cave nitsy,

How new to working out/lifting are you?

My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Comment

You've got all the tools you need. I would take the most high impact excersises that you learned from p90x and make a routine...

You are also going to need to progress in the bodyweight movements, like pistols/single leg squats, one arm pushup, one arm pullup, handstand press, etc.

rosstraining.com book helped me with those progressions... never gymless and inifinate intensity

Comment

Nitsy -

I'd recommend getting a kettlebell and incorporating some bodyweight routines. A KB routine normally includes a set number of circuits and typically last 30 minutes or so. Sandy Sommers has a good blog at Charm City Kettlebells that you can use. Just google it and he will post a routine each day on average. Keep doing the pushups and pullups. There is a 100 pushups program I'm currently in the midst of that sets good goals and keeps you going. Takes 5-10 minutes and then can be used in combination with other bodyweight exercises that you found on the P90X discs.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions thus far guys

@adventure8410 - i have done a bit of lifting with the p90x but alot of p90x work can be isolated which i found difficult but the non isolated stuff was pretty ok at!

@arthurb999 - i got hold of a book called viking warrior which shows suggestions on improve all the exercises you mentioned. I am working on improving on chins and pull ups at the mo... my upper body strength is fairly weak

@jpickett1968 - i've looked into kettelbells stuff, unfortunately where i live, no one seems to be around to teach proper technique, I dont want to do it without proper form, it looks really good thou... also checked out the pushup program - do you do it everyday or mon/wed/fri kind of thing? also do you add any other stuff to that cos i think will definetly give that a shot

Fellas also i found a card game of bodyweight workouts whilst at work (positive procrastination)... if you're interested heres the link

http://truthaboutabs.com/files/unprotected/card_game_workouts.xls

how do you guys usually train on the day to day, weekly basis? this would interest me alot to see roughly what i should be aiming for coming from p90x which is quite structured i feel a bit clueless with the unstructured week i've had so far.. let me add i didnt finish the program did it twice but with breaks both times due to unforseen circumstances started some time august last year... just to put in context i stopped because i started reading about the grok stuff as well as the general feeling of loosing strength with most of the lifting exercises... i think it was bit too much

Comment

I take it then you are kinda new to the whole weight lifting world then?

Mark has some good suggestions for starting up and building a solid foundation of strength.

I actually just started posting my workouts to my blog.

My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Comment

lol yes i am buddy yes i am ... never really done any heavy lifting just looked at your blog... bacon explosin looks freaking great might try that in the weekend

by the way this is probably wrong asking on this forumn... but is it worth buying marks book? is there a lot more info in there other than the excellent blogs he writes here?

Comment

It was pretty tasty, not the easiest thing to make in the microwave though.

As for the book, I don't actually own a copy (poor college kid), but through personal experience a lot of the stuff he posts on here seems great on its own. However if I had the money I would buy the book to get the full experience and support Mark, because I think his info IS worth money....I just don't have money.

My blog

Comment

Mark's book is worth having. You can probably find most of the info here, but the book lays it all out in a way that's easier to follow (or put another way, harder to mess up, not that this is a super-complicated plan).

Comment

I know you said you didn't want to join a gym... but I would suggest checking to see if you have a CrossFit affiliate located near you.

It is not like a normal gym... all your workouts are with other people and you learn lots of stuff including proper weightlifting technique and how to work with kettlebells.

most of the workouts are short but they are real butt kickers- if you are ready to step the intensity up a bit from p90x i'd definitly give it a shot.

Comment

I used to be a recreational gym rat for many years. Then took a two year hiatus. Fed up with the "someday" syndrome I dove back into fitness with P90X. I finished it about a month ago and am in great shape. I think it's a beautiful program for anyone looking for a "set it and forget" system to get a fast head start. Like you, I do the yoga, core syn, and plyo from time to time.

Now I'm hooked on mobility and bodyweight training. Some resources that I've discovered that might be helpful on your journey:

Gorgeous demo of joint mobility by Scott Sonnon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0aIuCIpEbk

Prasara yoga by the same guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK6CGtViWg8

Convict Conditioning, the chapter on BRIDGES is worth the price only:

http://www.dragondoor.com/b41.html

You can get it cheaper by pre-ordering on barnesandnoble.com with free shipping.

Bridges and Prasara style bridging (nice demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZJwMpvJiYM ) has literally eliminated my weak/sore lower back.

Comment

@adventure8410 - feel your pain, though m not a student anymore the student debt isnt letting me get over the water comfortably ... might wait for a bit for the book

@JohnR thanks for that, i will buy it when i have a bit of spare money ... actually i am going to create a fitness goal and once i achive that i shall buy the book

@fiddlestix yea man i really want to do the crossfit to become insanely fit out of all my friends... though unfortunately in my area there is none of it around.. hell only london seems to have a crossfit gym in the entire country by the looks of it...which is pretty weak .... everyone here is still stuck in common wisdom... thats mainly why i dont want to join a gym plus a couple of friends are members but i cant stand their way of doing things..and the mentality is the same in these gyms... i stay off the fitness subject with them during drinks if you get what i mean...

@energyz well done on finishing p90x i never did... did it twice for roughly 60 and 30 days... i really like the links you have provided... checked out Scott Sonnon links that looks awesome... i still cant do a plow position but i think this will help towards it.. would you recommend it for a beginner/intermediate yoga practioner? if so i think i might get his dvds... the bridges demo by Scott is insane i am going to work up to that i can just about get into a full bridge....

also guys i put a link for the card game above, i managed to finish the first game out of it yesterday took me about 35 minutes give or take... could someone with a bit more experience suggest the number of times i should be doing these kinds of exercises... i was aiming at doing game 1, 3 & 4 on mon/wed/friday respectively next week... going to do game 3 tomorrow... any help would be much appreciated thanks

Comment

Welcome back nits

I can't wait for the debt to start kicking my teeth in...ughhhhh

Anyway, I get where you are coming from about the conventional gym mentality, I absolutely abhor it myself. In my opinion 99% of the people in gyms are just getting in my way, don't get wrong kudos to them for having the desire to workout, but during the warmer parts of the year there is no reason to be paying someone to walk on a treadmill 5 days a week. If you are interested in packing on some serious LBM though I would suggest joining a gym and going early, I go right when the gym on campus opens because, let's face it, only the really committed are going to hit the gym first thing in the morning.

My blog

Comment

@nitsy For the plough, you can take it step-by-step and there are plenty of demos on youtube. Whenever doing anything involving heavy spinal flexion and extensions (ploughs, bridges, lifting, etc), I would avoid mornings (or right after you wake) if at all possible unless you sufficiently HEAT UP your core with a good session of sweaty activity. Excellent article on back health:

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/more_lower_back_savers:
                            [quote]

I&#39;ve known of people who have herniated discs picking up pencils or just tying their shoes and the one thing that seems to be consistent with all of them is that it happens first thing in the morning. <u>First-thing is just not a good time of day to flex the lumbar spine. You need to give the discs time to "dehydrate."

</u>

</blockquote>

If you&#39;re considering Sonnon&#39;s DVDs, this bodyweight-only course recently came out by Sonnon which I don&#39;t have but have heard good things as it combines combat-level BW training, mobility exercises, and yoga in one package:

http://www.tacfitcommando.com

Sonnon just did a pretty informative video Q&A:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/4623600

Comment

adventure8410 - dude i would love to join a gym for their facilities, early morning is a no no..work issues and evenings well cant justify it due too the number of people around with douchey attitudes (maybe generalising here, thou the women are hot!)... but i am thinking of converting my humble garage into a workout area of sorts in the summer... btw debt is lovely dude look forward to it like a toothache!... packing LBM..I am not sure if i am the pumping sort of person though i really want to master a few moves using my own body weight...especially the flowfit really speaks to me a lot cos i want the flexibility and the strength to hold myself up... plus it looks a weird form of breakdancing never been able to do that.. good party trick!

energyz - checked out flowfit properly yesterday with some videos off the net... tried the 7 exercises just to see the level i am at.. reckon 2 out of 4 may be a bit better on some than others... now i need to find big enough space to do that every other day to master them and get a smooth flow going.. do you feel that it is a bit made up as well on the spot... as in go with the flow sort of thing after the moves have been mastered? btw do you practice it?

gonna check out the links you&#39;ve posted once i get home to fully appreciate the things being talkd about.. i really like scotts philosophy i think he&#39;s my new guru man, thanks...all the things i&#39;ve been thinking about but never been shown how to incorporate them in one ...although be it at a guru who only helps through recorded videos... new exercise moto &#39;what would scott sonnon do?&#39;

Comment

Working...
                              X