Foam Rollers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foam Rollers?

I've been reading just about everywhere that a foam roller is a must have for exercise junkies with tight muscles. A website reccomended this one..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000Y4W9VA/ref=sr_1_olp_4?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1265674811&sr=8-4&condition=new

Although, I can't imagine one size fits all? You guys use foam rollers?

On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

I "foam roll" everyday with a baseball and my metal water bottle. I started out with an actual foam roller but after a while it wasn't firm enough to really get at my muscles.

Anyways, I would strongly encourage foam rolling for anyone who frequently spends time seated at a desk. You develop so many muscle imbalances by doing this day in and day out. From personal experience I feel like my athletic performance has benefited(as a distance runner) from rolling. And I also just feel better after rolling regularly.

Comment

I'm a fan. I use one multiple times a week to roll out the knots in my IT bands, hips, and glutes.

Comment

Love the foam roller, although I don't use mine often enough. Sometimes it can sting!

Rolling around with it under your back is definitely primal. I'm sure Grok would have rolled around on furs wrapped around logs while sitting around the campfire. It feels too good to roll out your back not too!

Comment

The first time I used one on my back I was so sore for the next few days. It really does break up those muscular adhesions.

I've discovered that doing somersaults and shoulder rolls provide a similar effect.

Comment

What sizes/brands did you guys invest in?

On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

Just be aware that not everyone thinks they are a good idea. I haven't bothered to research why as foam rollers don't interest me. I feel they lie somewhere in the range between useless and possibly a bad idea. I personally wouldn't waste the money. If you get tight you're exercising incorrectly.

bruce b.

Comment

bruce- you are the first person I have heard say that foam rolling not a good thing. I was wondering if you could say a little more about your reason for this.

I agree that exercising the correct muscles with correct technique is extremely important, but there are 23 hours a day that most of us don't exercise during which muscle tightness and imbalance can occur. Also most of us have been developing muscle imbalances and improper nerve patterns since our childhoods as a result of the shoes we wear, the surfaces and the positions we sleep in, the chairs we sit in, unilateral activities like throwing a ball or always mousing with one hand on your computer, etc.

Comment

My personal experience is that they don't help. Do some active stretches and light bodyweight movements instead.

http://miketnelson.blogspot.com/2008/01/get-off-foam-roller.html

Also Adam Glass has a new thing he does called gym.movement. They claim to base everything they do on testing and their claim is that using a foam roller has a negative impact on performance and not to use it. I glanced at the gym movement site but didn't have a lot of interest.

bruce b.

Comment

I use this one: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/PRO207/

Totally eliminated my ITB pain. It hurts like a bitch the first few times you do it especially if your problem area is severe but it's totally worth it.

Comment

Interesting, Bruce... What I do notice though is that the blogger seems to be affiliated with Z-Health, which seems to be fairly against foam rolling in FAVOR of THEIR products. I agree that proper joint mobility, stretching, and good form are KEY in preventing imbalances and pain in the body... Foam rolling is just there as another assisting tool, not a fix. No, it won't help your issues long-term, but it is relief now.

Plus, can't see how it's doing more harm than good. And hell, it's only twenty bucks. For temporary soreness relief?! I'm there!

Comment

I agree with you Jess. For twenty bucks why not? It seems like everyone is trying to sell you something online sometimes and the fitness industry is one of the worst. I just wanted to offer a counterpoint to the CW about rollers.

A long time ago when I was a runner and played Ultimate I was into stretching, massage and rollers. After doing it quite a bit off and on for a couple of years I decided none of it helped me. Everyone is different and the only way to know is to try something for yourself...... except for the obvious scams!

bruce b.

Comment

PVC pipe works as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X