X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Human Flag Tutorial *Video*

Hey Guys,

I just posted a new human flag video on youtube! Check it out:

"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

nice. i've been trying these every now and then, and can't quite get there. going more vertical will hopefully help a lot...of course i'll have to find a place to do them other than on a pole in a hallway at work.

i've been using a mixed grip, but how important is hand placement? sometimes i feel like my hands are too close together, sometimes to far apart...does that even matter?
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

very awesome. my human flag took a downturn while I was trying to get my left lat back up to par. It's been a strange road, rehabilitation-wise. I never knew it was an "issue" -- but the last thing we want is such imbalances. The pec minor is finally worked out (stretched, functioning normally), and the lat has had more use.

this means working on one-armed pull ups is still happening, and I'm also working on this: upward dog to handstand.

But, it's summer, so a good time to practice the human flag again.

Comment

also, question (somewhat unrelated). when doing pistol squats, ryan noticed it was rather tough on his knees. is that a form thing? anything we should look out for?

Comment

Great video! Time to find me a pole!
          I've been following your blog for years and just joined here so it's nice to see you active here as well.
          ~It's All Relative!~
          34 - 5'11" CW - 159 GW - 175 10% BF or less!

Primal Journal
          Fitness Blog - Instagram
          Join me on Fitocracy

Comment

Bwah-hah-hah. Love you and your videos, but you're at least as cheesy as me with all your thumbs-ups. Thanks for this video! I'll give it a try next playground workout. Probably day after tomorrow...
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
              i've been using a mixed grip, but how important is hand placement? sometimes i feel like my hands are too close together, sometimes to far apart...does that even matter?
              Hand placement definitely matters, you want your arms about half way between being overhead and totally out to the side. Like a 45 degree angle from your neck and head.

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
              also, question (somewhat unrelated). when doing pistol squats, ryan noticed it was rather tough on his knees. is that a form thing? anything we should look out for?
              It's impossible to guess what is causing his pain without being there in person. The best I can do is direct you to my pistol squat article.

Originally posted by WarlordBlade View Post
              Great video! Time to find me a pole!
              I've been following your blog for years and just joined here so it's nice to see you active here as well.
              Right on! It's great to hear from a long time fan! Welcome to the boards!

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
              Bwah-hah-hah. Love you and your videos, but you're at least as cheesy as me with all your thumbs-ups. Thanks for this video! I'll give it a try next playground workout. Probably day after tomorrow...
              Thanks! Give it a shot, but remember it's harder than in looks!
              "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, but I'm getting pretty strong when it comes to bodyweight/arm stuff. Not anywhere near "professional" levels, I guess. But I'm up to a good 20 chin-ups in a row on a good day.
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I thought you looked familiar, im fairly new here but I remembered you from the Convict Conditioning books.
                  Eat Clean | Train Mean | Live Lean

Comment

HA! I came across your page maybe on here about 4 months ago and was just trying to remember yesterday what it was, and the poof, here you are. Love your stuff man, very inspiring! I just fanned your FB page.

Comment

Can I just commend you on keeping them clean, upbeat, and sometimes humorous? I love that I can sit with my little ones and watch your videos.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                        Yeah, but I'm getting pretty strong when it comes to bodyweight/arm stuff. Not anywhere near "professional" levels, I guess. But I'm up to a good 20 chin-ups in a row on a good day.
                        Nice! It's still gonna take a while to get the flag though.

Originally posted by Bearfoot View Post
                        I thought you looked familiar, im fairly new here but I remembered you from the Convict Conditioning books.
                        Right on! That's me alright!

Originally posted by hitek79 View Post
                        HA! I came across your page maybe on here about 4 months ago and was just trying to remember yesterday what it was, and the poof, here you are. Love your stuff man, very inspiring! I just fanned your FB page.
                        Good timing! Thanks!

Originally posted by HeyChelle View Post
                        Can I just commend you on keeping them clean, upbeat, and sometimes humorous? I love that I can sit with my little ones and watch your videos.
                        Of course you can! Thanks very much! Kids love me!

sigpic

Comment

Another great video!
                          Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                          Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                          The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                          Brute Force Sandbags
                          www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                          http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Hey Al, I was just wondering if there was a baseline of strength you'd recommend before Human Flags become a possibility? I'm talking about the "basic" legs straight up progression.
                            I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

Hi Al - thanks for being so upbeat and positive. I've just started some bodyweight movements (2.5 mos in) and I can really see improvements! It makes me want MORE strength and MORE improvement. Definately a journey.

It's motivated my husband to begin working on it too - he's seen how well it's affected my physique and is motivated for results now too. I have a way to go to be strong, tho I am stronger than I was... and I'm working to gain more.

I send your blog link and youtube vids to my exercise addicted friend in AK and she always responds "who IS this guy?" (in a good way because we are amazed at your one arm pushup clap and pistol squats) Your strength is very motivational - I love your response that we can all be strong if we put in the work.

Thanks again!
                              We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                              X