Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's doing the Spartan Race this year?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Who's doing the Spartan Race this year?

    Why not put all that strength and conditioning to good use by entering one of the many Spartan Races in the US, UK and Canada. Plus, you'll get the chance to shout:

    "THIS IS SPARTA!!!"

    at the top of your voice and not feel too silly.

    Sandbag Fitness: Spartan Race - US, Canada and UK Events!
    Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
    Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
    The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
    Brute Force Sandbags
    www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
    http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

  • #2
    best race i've ever done. thanks for reminding me...i haven't registered for the one in my area yet. time to start practicing some spear throwing, or suffer through those burpees.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by primalrob View Post
      best race i've ever done. thanks for reminding me...i haven't registered for the one in my area yet. time to start practicing some spear throwing, or suffer through those burpees.
      Training for a race is a great, great motivator (or any other event in fact). I think every race should involve spear throwing!
      Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
      Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
      The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
      Brute Force Sandbags
      www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
      http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm plannin on doing my first one this spring. Going to sign up for the nearest Sprint and Super when I get a chance. I've been following their WOD's the past couple of weeks and they post some real killer workouts.
        My Leangains Journey

        Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

        Comment


        • #5
          Did the Spartan Sprint last year. Fun time, kicked my arse though. By the end of the race it was all I could do push out that last burpee or two for failing some of the obstacles, heh. It's good motivation to NOT fail obstacles, though. Stupid spear throwing...

          Signed up the Spartan Beast this year...a few months after the Tough Mudder. It's going to be a rough. but fun, Spring and Summer...

          Definitely add burpees to your workout routine (30 per failed obstacle...almost turned into vomitees near the end of the race). And I'd suggest some gloves, too. It sucks to fail an obstacle you know you can do just because the rope is all muddy and you can't get a decent grip on it.

          Comment


          • #6
            I did Spartan sprint last year as well, forget when, but it was a blast even though I hadn't really trained for it. It was fucking brutal! my quads were not ready at all and actually really hurt after this obstacle in which I didn't use them (the crawling in mud under barbwire for what felt like miles) my theory is they got a chance to relax and didn't want to work anymore. I may have also been dehydrated or something. Either way, the pain slowed me down a lot and I also had cramps in both. I finished, and I didn't fail any obstacles. It was a great time. I was in so much pain the next two days.
            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
              I did Spartan sprint last year as well, forget when, but it was a blast even though I hadn't really trained for it. It was fucking brutal! my quads were not ready at all and actually really hurt after this obstacle in which I didn't use them (the crawling in mud under barbwire for what felt like miles) my theory is they got a chance to relax and didn't want to work anymore. I may have also been dehydrated or something. Either way, the pain slowed me down a lot and I also had cramps in both. I finished, and I didn't fail any obstacles. It was a great time. I was in so much pain the next two days.
              Yuh, I hear ya. At the one I was at there was what felt like multiple football fields of yardage of rocky mud under the barbed wire, with increasingly higher wall climbs in between each of the mud pits. The last section was under extremely low wires (messed up my shirt real bad, heh), uphill, with some severely sharp stones thrown into the sludge...so in addition to scrapes and bruises galore, my legs cramped up like you wouldn't believe right near the end. Just fatigue, dehydration, and probably the much colder temperature of the mud. The last few yards were hell and I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to even stand up. Thankfully it was near the end of the race, and I didn't need to do anymore low crawling.

              I felt like I earned that free beer and turkey leg at the end, though. Even if I was too exhausted to do much but lay down and stare at the sky.

              Comment


              • #8
                May 19th in Texas! Already signed up

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Seermark View Post
                  Yuh, I hear ya. At the one I was at there was what felt like multiple football fields of yardage of rocky mud under the barbed wire, with increasingly higher wall climbs in between each of the mud pits. The last section was under extremely low wires (messed up my shirt real bad, heh), uphill, with some severely sharp stones thrown into the sludge...so in addition to scrapes and bruises galore, my legs cramped up like you wouldn't believe right near the end. Just fatigue, dehydration, and probably the much colder temperature of the mud. The last few yards were hell and I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to even stand up. Thankfully it was near the end of the race, and I didn't need to do anymore low crawling.

                  I felt like I earned that free beer and turkey leg at the end, though. Even if I was too exhausted to do much but lay down and stare at the sky.
                  was that New England? sounds pretty much identical to the one i did. i wouldn't even call that last bit of barbed wire through mud...it was wet gravel. i still have a couple of scars on my lower legs from dragging them through that hell.
                  on the up side, they were spraying us with fire hoses at that point, so if you didn't mind a water punch to the face you could get a little hydration.

                  it's back in amesbury in august...i hope they change up the obstacles a little bit.
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by primalrob View Post
                    was that New England? sounds pretty much identical to the one i did. i wouldn't even call that last bit of barbed wire through mud...it was wet gravel. i still have a couple of scars on my lower legs from dragging them through that hell.
                    on the up side, they were spraying us with fire hoses at that point, so if you didn't mind a water punch to the face you could get a little hydration.

                    it's back in amesbury in august...i hope they change up the obstacles a little bit.
                    Yessir, Amesbury it was. That last bit of mud and wire was just sheer nastiness.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I did the Survival of the Fittest in the UK and was excited when I saw this but there aren't any in Alberta this year - maybe next year.
                      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                      PS
                      Don't forget to play!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I did the Super Spartan (8 miles ) in Temecula, Ca. as my first ever mud run. Loved it! Did several other mud runs. Fun, but not really challenging. Then I did the Spartan sprint in Malibu. That one was even harder than the Super. Absolutely had a blast. Oh...by the way, I am a 56 year old grandma.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by annierobic View Post
                          I did the Super Spartan (8 miles ) in Temecula, Ca. as my first ever mud run. Loved it! Did several other mud runs. Fun, but not really challenging. Then I did the Spartan sprint in Malibu. That one was even harder than the Super. Absolutely had a blast. Oh...by the way, I am a 56 year old grandma.
                          WTG! You are an inspiration!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have signed up to the Midlands Event in the UK in September

                            Starting small and only doing 3 miles which shouldn't be too tough but would like to progress to the beast next year and maybe tough mudder if possible

                            its good to have goals!
                            2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

                            2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

                            Train hard, eat well and love life

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
                              every race should involve spear throwing!
                              Quoted for truth!
                              August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

                              I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X