No announcement yet.

★ ★ ★ Challenge Yourself: Do a Pull-Up in 2012 ★ ★ ★

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the reason for not working to failure that she emphasizes in the video?

Thanks!

This is one of my big fitness goals, to be able to do 1 pull up!

Comment

Ive stuck to alot of body weight exercises and a strong diet to really develop muscle mass and memory. The machines at the gym that assist you doing a pull up are so amazing. I do a circuit of simplefit 3 days a weekl of 2 pull ups 6 push ups 10 squats x5 sets
      Started Primal November 20, 2011
      Slipped from Christmas-New Years
      January 2, 2012 until Death= 100% Primal/Paleo

Start Weight-210
      Goal Weight-Skinny with a 6 pack and lean all around

Journal.... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread44612.html

Comment

Resurrected!

I remember not being able to do a pull-up one year. I was really fat. Went to the park, saw the monkey bars and tried one for old time's sake, but failed. That made me so angry, I just stuck out my balls and did one, red-faced and sloppy, for spite. Started doing them every night and didn't lose any weight (which I now understand) but did get up to 40 reps by the end of that year. I did it "incorrectly" by body-building standards. I just walked to the park every single night after dinner, rarely taking any days to recover. Perhaps my vast fat reserves and living on ramen noodles, beer and weed made muscle recovery easier somehow. That, and abjectly disquieted, forlorn, tormented and infinite teenage rage concentrated and refined into a purity that would have killed lesser men even in their prime. The kind of anger that wakes you up in the night because all you feel is oppression and rejection, watching rich kids go to college and get cell phones, girlfriends and basically have a perfect life handed to them through no merit of their own, knowing you've done nothing to deserve the dirt life you were handed by incompetent parents and a lackluster education. That's motivation, healthy or not.
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Here's some tips in the form of yet another "how to improve pull-ups/chin-ups" video:

How To Do More Chin Ups - YouTube

Fun to watch, plus the tips are helpful!
          MikeEnRegalia's Blog - Nutrition, Dieting, Exercise and other stuff ;-)

Comment

I had already submitted a picture and goal in response to the "challenge" blog post earlier this week and the goal was simply to be able to do a real, honest to God pull up by the close of 2012. The underlying goal would be to lose the last 15 and build some muscle. Good luck to all.
            Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Originally posted by Lily View Post
              What is the reason for not working to failure that she emphasizes in the video?

Thanks!

This is one of my big fitness goals, to be able to do 1 pull up!
              When you work to failure, especially with slow negatives, your body needs much more time to recover. My suggestion would be to throw in a set to failure occasionally, preferably at a time when you know that you won't have much time to train for the next couple of days. But if you're going to train multiple days per week, always going to failure will most likely be too much.
              MikeEnRegalia's Blog - Nutrition, Dieting, Exercise and other stuff ;-)

Comment

I'm in!! Thanks for getting this going, Jenny!

I can't do a chin up or pull up to save my life! But working toward this goal of one pull up by the end of the year makes it seem so manageable.

My pull up bar came down about a month ago do to some moving things around in the house, so I'll have to put it back up. Santa brought me some nifty resistance bands so I'll be working with those, too, toward this goal. Slow and steady wins the race!
                50 yo single mom
                5'3"
                Primal since 12/1/2010. Now Whole30ing until I feel WHOLE again, my goals are no longer scale-related.

Aila's Primal Journey

"If I cling to circumstances, I could claim to be not responsible. Only she who says she did not choose is the loser in the end." Adrienne Rich

Comment

For those trying to do pullups follow convict conditioning or the primal blueprint exercise guide for a progression guide (I am sure there are others).
                  Try Paval's "greasing the grove". What ever stage you are for 5-8 reps try doing one every time you pass a station. So if you are on the inverted rows (Australian pullups) stage and are managing 10 reps every time you pass the station do one rep....it will get you to your goals.

As someone who can do chins comfortably my goal for 2012 is the one arm chin up....does that count for this thread?
                  Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                  PS
                  Don't forget to play!

Comment

I am early in on chin/pull ups and have had a relative amount of success with Al Kavido's advice. I used negatives and austrailian pull/chin ups to get where I am: just got up to five today. I have it to where 4 is easy now, at least. I alternative over hand and under hand no matter what I'm doing just for balance. I also do it at a variety of locations which require me to grip at different angles and widths.

I think the best advice I received on other threads was to stick with movements that at least get you close to real pull-ups. I really think the austrailian pull ups are what turned the corner for me to get up to two. As I am doing a bit more, albeit still not much, I am using negatives more. I also do static holds at various positions as I approach failure. I particularly do this with the Australian pull-ups and I think it is really strengthening my core. But that is just a feeling and I am just getting started: I just wanted to share my journey and what has worked thus far.

For me personally, this is a big deal. I had never done a single pull-up in my life before a few months ago. As the experts said, it is a slow, slow process. But, it does seem to be stacking up over time. I got #5 tonight and if my workouts the previous two days had not been so hard, who knows.

Good luck to everyone. I certainly believe this is a worthy challenge!

Comment

Please add me to the list. One of my lifelong dreams is to be able to do a pullup. (We all have our thing. Pullups are mine. )
                      In search of the elusive, unassisted, dead-hang pullup! | my journal

Comment

I'm in Jenny - thanks!

This time I'll try some of that "greasing the groove", as clearly what I was doing during last year's challenge didn't help all that much!
                        I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

Breaking my long time lurkdom with my first post here!
                          Add me to the list!!

Comment

Been working on them myself since last month, so put me down Jenny!! At the gym I go to, they have a weighted machine that I use to help me with my pull-ups. You decrease your weight as you get stronger. I took 2 weeks off from the gym and I have improved immensely. I've decreased my assisted weight by 30 pounds! Started off at 160 pounds of assistance and am down to 130 pounds of assistance. Woot!
                            Georgette

Comment

Doing at least one pull up was on my goal list this year! I am starting off by using resistance bands in my very small home.
                              There's a crack inside of everything, that's how the light gets in. ~Leonard Cohen
                              Journal, From Sick to Fit: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45653.html

Comment

Count me in. I can do one with a little jump and then do another one about halfway up, so really, I can't do one. I had a shoulder injury last February, so I'm going to need to shed pounds and gain strength to do it.

One week into primal, and I'm down 7 pounds. Starting the primal fitness program today.
                                Liberalism: ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

Comment

Working...
                                X