No announcement yet.

★ ★ ★ Challenge Yourself: Do a Pull-Up in 2012 ★ ★ ★

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nobody knows I'm here yet I don't think, but I started trying to work on these before I actually stumbled onto the challenge. (Just started PB on Oct 1st.) I've gotten so I can pull without jumping or pushing off, just lifting from standing position, up to my nose. Progress!! Maybe I WILL make it by the the end of the year? I ordered some bands to try and get working on the full hanging position as I seem totally unable to start down there and get up at all!

How's everybody else doing?
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Comment

• Aha! did my first un-assisted strict pullup today! Actually did three!

I've buggered my shoulder in such a way that kipping sometimes hurts and I read I shouldn't be doing kipping until my shoulder strength is better. So instead of stopping pullups to let my shoulder heal I've been focusing on strict pullups with the band (10 at a time). I know that's probably not helping the injury (not sure what I did other than overuse) but I just couldn't go the year without getting at least one without a band!
      "Quit waiting for everything to be perfect. You have everything you need right now." - makingthingshappen.com

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/member82937.html

Comment

• Kipping is the best way to destroy your shoulder. Nobody should do it, ever, unless it's an emergency and kipping will somehow save the day...I can imagine 0 examples. Kipping is also a lazy excuse for a real movement. You aren't engaging your muscles, you're just flopping around like a fool for no reason. It's better to do ONE super-slow half-rep of a real chin-up than any amount of kips. Hell, just hanging onto the bar for as long as you can will do more for you than kipping.
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• I am still struggling with my pull-ups. Can't do a single one, and it feels that there is no progress at all... I had no idea how hard this would be!
          So my deepest respect to all of you who can do a pull-up!
          Turnstone's world - not really a journal...

Comment

• I did it I did it I did it!!!! Only one but I got up there!
            Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Comment

• Big congratulations to AliceAnne and Excursivey! I marked you both down on the front page.

And with that, our 2012 challenge is done! This year's successes:
              adameads ★ 2012-03-28
              AliceAnne ★ 2012-11-30
              excursivey ★ 2012-12-12
              Kakes ★ 2012-02-13
              MFSUNSHINE ★ 2012-03-28
              naiadknight ★ 2012-01-21
              PrimalJosh ★ 2012-07-02
              Tribal Rob ★ 2012-05-02
              Urban Forager ★ 2012-08-08

I honestly congratulate everyone for participating, whether you're on the list above or not -- we're all taking steps in the right direction for our health.

So, anybody want to start a thread for 2013? Assuming nobody beat me to it and did already! I haven't been nearly as available as I have wanted so I can't feel right about re-volunteering, myself.
              Last edited by Jenny; 01-07-2013, 12:32 PM.
              "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• I'm in!!! I have never done one and really want to be able too :3

Comment

• Hi Icepaw! This thread is actually from last year and I'm no longer maintaining it. (I didn't have time to do that last year either....)

I suggest using this thread for 2013 instead: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread75095.html

Good luck in your efforts!
                  "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Working...
                  X