★ ★ ★ Challenge Yourself: Do a Pull-Up in 2012 ★ ★ ★

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me! Me! I'm up for it!
    “It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.” — Seneca

Comment

• Congratulations to all who did a pull-up yet!

I am still struggling, and my progress is soooo slow! I never thought that it would be so hard to build up strength to do a pull-up. But I won't give up, and there are still 9 months left
      Turnstone's world - not really a journal...

Comment

• A pull up bar was the best thing to happen to me. I wasn't able to do a pull up or a chin up, but after reading about isometric movements and negatives I managed to do it within a week. It's great practice!

edit: Oh and not to mention the dumbell rows, those help too!

Comment

• Whew, list at the front of the thread updated again. So happy to be adding stars -- and it sounds like lots of you are very close to doing a real pull-up, too! So exciting!

I need to step up my game and get this rolling myself. You're all so inspirational!

Analog6, I think it depends on whether part of your body is still in the water. If so, I'd call that a pull-up with very mild assistance. I bet by now you would be able to do one without the water -- if you do, let me know and I'll star you up.

I should have more time to update on a regular basis soon. This spring has been extremely distracting with other projects.
          "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• Ooh, and don't miss today's blog post, c/o Al Kavadlo!
            The Importance of Pull-up Bar Training | Mark's Daily Apple
            "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• At my last workout I did 2 sets of 6 assisted chin-ups and 2 x 8 reps of 90lb lat pulldowns at a 5/5 cadence.
              baby steps
              “It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.” — Seneca

Comment

• Count me in! I was inspired by yesterday's guest blog post by Al Kavadlo and excited to learn about Australian pull-ups. I've been using exercise bands for assisted pull-ups but I've never felt like that was letting me engage the right muscles correctly. Discovering Australian pull-ups yesterday was a eureka moment! That's perfect for me!

At this point I can barely do one full Australian pull-up (chin to bar) so I've got a ways to go before I can do a full pull-up -- but I'm going to get there!

Peace,
                Karen

Comment

• Sign me up. I will give it a try.

Comment

• We just found a free pull up bar the other day and I've been thinking about trying to do this. I may not get to do one this year due to size but daily trying should help. I figure this is a great starting point for working out for me, probably start with the dead hang for short time period, short reps and move from there while including some australian pull ups as soon as I find a good bar for it. I wonder what other basic movements I could/should incorporate to end up working out the entire body! Sign me up, why not?
                    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34085.html

9/6/11: 390.1lbs

5/22/12: 339.4lbs

Goal: 175lbs

Comment

• I'm in. I've been using the playground equipment. I can do assisted pull-ups, one leg, which is so pathetic but I'm getting there.

Comment

• Cin, i totally just found a park nearby that I can do the intermittent pull-ups on (though I can't do one yet I will be using these to work on my back muscles for). Gotta love playgrounds, especially with kids!
                        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34085.html

9/6/11: 390.1lbs

5/22/12: 339.4lbs

Goal: 175lbs

Comment

• Can I join?
                          5' female, 127, I have a history of repetitive strain injuries from playing the violin.

I currently do pull ups, but I am not pulling all of my weight because my husband assists me. I grab the bar, and put my legs up on his shoulders. I vary how much leg is resting on him- closer to my ankles makes it hard, having him crouch down and lower my body makes it harder too. Its really hard to gauge how well I'm going though, because its an inexact way to bear my body weight.

Comment

• I'd like to join too!

After conquering squats and pushups in 2011, this challenge will be just the right one for me
                            I have never done a pullup before so I don't really know what to expect, but having read through the posts I decided to start with negatives and then we'll see. I discovered a huge playground near our flat which seems tp be just ideal for some before-work pullups

Comment

• To the guys just starting off, keep the faith. I'm almost there and that was with a month off without much work on pull ups.
                              I only need a small jump now to get the momentum for a pull up.
                              Believe and achieve.

Comment

• To the guys just starting off, keep the faith. I'm almost there and that was with a month off without much work on pull ups.
                                I only need a small jump now to get the momentum for a pull up.
                                Believe and achieve.

Comment

Working...
                                X