Pullup bar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pullup bar

I do not have a pullup bar. It looks like I'm going to need to get one, or else get myself to the gym. Suggestions? Any particular brand or type I should look for or stayaway from?

Thanks!
    Janeen

I got mine from Amazon, just picked one by price and reading the reviews. I don't even remember what brand or anything, but I got one of the fancier ones with more options for holding on.

Comment

I don't remember which one it was... got it from Target, and it's the kind that goes in your door frame.

Oh! Found it! The Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar and it's about $30.

Funny thing is, I bought it when I was shopping with The Boyfriend, and the cashier said to him "So, looking to get all buffed out?" The Boyfriend got a little quiet and said "Um, no, it's for... her."
      Durp.

Comment

Do you have a spot to mount one from either the rafters of the ceiling joint?

If so, I built an excellent one w/ plumbing joints and pipe from home depot for a mere $35. I get many compliments on it!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

The second picture is a revision; I put a 8 inch length of pipe to bring it down off the ceiling.

*The door ones are ok but remember, door frames are generally 7 feet or so. You have to really bend at the knee. It is unorthodox feeling; at least for me it was.
        Last edited by Troglodyte; 12-23-2011, 08:00 PM.
        Τρωγλοδῦται

Comment

I've had theIRon Gym total body workout bar mentioned above for about two months now. Got it on the recommendation of some people here.

I love it! It's very stable and sturdy, and you can remove it and re-install it in seconds. Very light. It just fits over a standard-width door frame.

And it's cheeeeap!

Here it is on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Total-Upp...4704359&sr=8-1
          Last edited by keevelish; 12-23-2011, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Do these door mounted pull up bars damage the door? Also would the door be swinging while you're trying to do pullups?

Comment

I've got the "perfect pull up" bar. It's good if you don't mind screwing something to your door.
              Can also swing it down to do rows and Aussie pull Ups.
              If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

You've got to be careful with temporary door-frame style bars. I've managed to do minor damage to three door frames in my (rented) house trying these bars. :-(
                I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

If you have room, I love these: Gold's Gym XR 10.9 Power Tower GoldsGym.com

I have been using mine for years.

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post

Seconded, and there's a lot more options than what we can "see" here... jonhn_e I hope you've tried doing pull ups using the dip handles, for starters. I also like to put my barbell across the dip handles and try muscle ups, MU negatives, etc.

If not though, all the $20 door frame bars are really great. I plan on buying another one for the office once we move, I overheard some of our not overweight guys can't do a pull up and I plan on changing that.
                    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I have a standalone pullup station in my LR. I use it along with Iron Woody bands, and I'm now on the blue band. The doorway version seems like a good idea for the workplace.
                      In search of the elusive, unassisted, dead-hang pullup! | my journal

Comment

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                        I've got the "perfect pull up" bar. It's good if you don't mind screwing something to your door.
                        Can also swing it down to do rows and Aussie pull Ups.

Does yours have the twisty handles? For some reason it appears as if they have stopped selling the twisty handles that come with it and just have perfect pullup basic.

Not sure why they would stop selling them as I thought the movement from he twisty handles was what made it 'perfect'
                        My photo diary of my primal diet on wordpress

My primal journal on MDA.

Comment

Do you live near a playground? That's where I go for the rings and bars. But I'm also lucky enough to have wide doorway moldings I get to use regularly, so I totally understand the desire to do chin-ups on a whim. Do you have a porch you could easily modify or are you set on having it indoors?
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post

I too love the Power Towers. Mine is a Body Solid that I got from a used equipment store, Play It Again Sports for under $100...but It was brand-new!

It also has a Roman Chair, Dips Handles and Push-up Handles.
                            Last edited by Phil-SC; 12-24-2011, 08:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

@Phil-SC, mine has those same features! It's designed so I have it against the wall, so it looks different than the Gold's one linked to above.
                              In search of the elusive, unassisted, dead-hang pullup! | my journal

Comment

Working...
                              X