Sandbag trainers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandbag trainers?

Wat is the best one to possibly purchase. They look interesting to me but i don't know which brand is the best. I have looked into making my own but im all for convenience right now and don;t want to go through the hassle.

There is very little hassle in building a sandbag and the ones already available are pricey. I put mine together for less then $30. I ordered a large canvas duffle which was the most expensive part at $25 shipped to my door. I then took 100lbs worth of water softener salt I had sitting around and broke it up into 20lb batches. I double bagged that in contractor trash bags which are a heavier mil then regular trash bags, made sure to get most of the air out and then duct taped them closed. I have been using it for almost a year with no problems yet.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MightyAl View Post
      There is very little hassle in building a sandbag and the ones already available are pricey. I put mine together for less then $30. I ordered a large canvas duffle which was the most expensive part at $25 shipped to my door. I then took 100lbs worth of water softener salt I had sitting around and broke it up into 20lb batches. I double bagged that in contractor trash bags which are a heavier mil then regular trash bags, made sure to get most of the air out and then duct taped them closed. I have been using it for almost a year with no problems yet.
      Which duffel do you use for this. I currently use a top loading army issue duffel. It is too big for the fill that I have in it, and when I want to go heavier, it will be too unwieldy for me to deal with. I plan to go your route with the contractor GB/filler/duct tap to make an adjustable bag my next go around, but I need a good duffel. Preferably one with handles.

Comment

I filled mine with wood fire pellets....very dense so it has a good weight...not as floppy as I would like but a nice awkward shape to move.
        Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
        PS
        Don't forget to play!

Comment

It is entirely possible to make your own sandbag and lots of people who follow my Sandbag Fitness blog do so. If you do want to buy a custom made sandbag then the Brute Force Sandbag is the best available, IMO.

Brute Force Europe: The best sandbags for strength and conditioning
          Brute Force Sandbags

I've been training almost exclusively with sandbags for the past year now so let me know if you have any specific questions. Matt
          Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
          Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
          The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
          Brute Force Sandbags
          www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
          http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

I currently use a top loading army issue duffel.
            This is what I use as well. I need to rebuild mine, and plan on using cat litter (it's cheap and pre-weighed).

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
              I filled mine with wood fire pellets....very dense so it has a good weight
              Same here. Wood pellets work great!
              Character is both developed and revealed by tests, and all of life is a test.
              -Rick Warren

Comment

Mine has sand only and I bought a duffel bag from an army surplus store, not a top loading one.

I'm still only at around 70lbs for zercher squats. I know it sounds hella weak but holding that shit up is a big challenge. Best "ab" workout ever. Get Coach Palfrey's free e-book too.
                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

$150+ for a sand bag? I'm constantly amazed at our species ability to over-complicate anything and everything!

Comment

Originally posted by La.C View Post
                    Which duffel do you use for this. I currently use a top loading army issue duffel. It is too big for the fill that I have in it, and when I want to go heavier, it will be too unwieldy for me to deal with. I plan to go your route with the contractor GB/filler/duct tap to make an adjustable bag my next go around, but I need a good duffel. Preferably one with handles.
                    Yeah I have a top loading duffle. It is supposed to be unwieldy otherwise you might as well go do free weights. Hanldes are defeating the whole purpose. There is no better grip training then trying to grab some canvas on a bag constantly shifts shape and form. If you want handles then you are going to have to drop +$100 on a professional bag.

Comment

I use my Marine Corps sea Bags. . At Home depot I can buy 60 pound tubes of sand(designed to store on wheel wells of trucks for traction) that I simply add to the sandbag I bet I coultget 4 in there if I were a masocist monster but 2 is all I need for now as it is squirmy and fun. If I want to do some clean pressess for something different that bag is sitting in the garage ready to use.
                      Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Comment

Yeah I have a top loading duffle. It is supposed to be unwieldy otherwise you might as well go do free weights. Hanldes are defeating the whole purpose. There is no better grip training then trying to grab some canvas on a bag constantly shifts shape and form. If you want handles then you are going to have to drop +$100 on a professional bag.
                        see i'd want one with handles. is there a way i could finagle some handles on a duffle bag

Comment

The handles are there to offer an alternative to free weights so people can get a good workout without having to have lots of different bits of equipment (if they want to). As far as handles "defeating the whole purpose" - I'd say it depends on why people are using a sandbag in the first place. I train with sandbags A LOT and I'd say handles are a good idea for some things and not so much for others so it's good to have the option.

If you want a bag without handles then you can go for this:

https://www.bruteforcesandbags.com/S...on=show_detail

Or this:

https://www.bruteforcesandbags.com/S...on=show_detail
                          Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                          Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                          The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                          Brute Force Sandbags
                          www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                          http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

I might as well use free weights except for the fact that I don't have free weights, I have sandbags. I am looking for an affordable, highly versatile piece of exercise equipment and a sandbag with handles fits the bill nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
                              see i'd want one with handles. is there a way i could finagle some handles on a duffle bag
                              Find soemone with a sewing machine that can do canvas and triple stitch some handles onto a bag. You could probably get it done for less then $50 if you were so inclined. Go forth and enjoy your handles.

I am looking for the cheapest alternative to all these things and the cost to having handles just doesn't justify the benefit for me. I can grab a bag just as well without handles and it really improves my grip. I think that is what we miss most when doing the LHT. We find ways to hold on to the heavy things without improving grip strength. I would say that my grip strength is far better now from doing pull ups, hanging leg lifts, and the handleless sandbag then it ever was when I was doing free weights.

Just my 2 cents and it should be taken as such and not gospel. YMMV.

Comment

Working...
                              X