Would this be a good workout?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this be a good workout?

I was just thinking of different types of workouts and training and I was wondering on your opinion on this workout.

It's just a rough idea so far but it makes use of the big 3 compound lifts, the deadlift, squat and benchpress. The routine is broken into 3 phases and it's a 3 times a week workout.

Phase 1) 10min- warm up, mobility, stretching etc.

Phase 2) Compound left: Deadlift (or squat or bench)

3,4,5x5 (however you see fit)

Phase 3) Circuit workout. Since in this case, you did the dead lift, the circuit might consist of exercises that might not put to much strain on your already worked out muscles. Same goes for the rest of the workouts.

I dont know enough to write down a proper circuit but you get the idea.

Each workout is a compound lift followed by a bw or lightweight circuit.

What do you guys think??

You can handle more. Most guys want to be stronger, faster, flexible and injury free. IMO, the below satisfies the requirement in the most efficent way possible (the least amount of work/time).

2x a week heavy squat, pull, push 3x5
    1x a week hill sprints (or indoor conditioning if the weather sucks... like 100 burpees for time)
    1x a week yoga (preferably at a studio)

Comment

I did a workout like this last week. Heavy deads followed by lots of pull-ups and push-ups. It was a great workout!

Stop over-thinking it and start training.
      "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

My question, Al, is how do I know if im hitting the right amounts of each body part and not hitting to much of another??

Like, now, I honestly feel like whiping out pushups and some planks, but I miss my back and my legs...
        how do you design your workouts??

Comment

Just try to make sure you hit opposite muscle groups evenly. This can be done by using a split routine, or by doing full body workouts each time.

Check out this post of mine, too: Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! Avoiding Injuries in Strength Training

Seriously though, there are many different ways to effectively train your muscles. Don't get overwhelmed by all your options, just start and you'll learn more as you go.
          "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

sigpic

Comment

Thanks dude.
            My door mounted pullup bar doesn't really allow me to do proper pull-ups so often have to stick with chin ups, is that bad? they both work the back in theory??

Also, is it better to, along with front and side planks to do the butt bridges? where you lie on your back and lift your hips off the ground kind of like this
            __/[

Comment

ohh, again, sorry to be a pain.

But, is it bad to do pushups and pull-ups only or do I need to include shoulder pressing??

Comment

Chin-ups are a fine substitute for pull-ups. And yes, bridges are a great exercise. Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! Back Bridges

sigpic

Comment

cant see the pic, sorry. It where you lie on the ground, raise your hip and knees so your knees are bent at about 90 degrees. The thighs all the way down to your chest/shoulders is essentially straight and off the ground. http://runnersfeed.com/wp-content/up...k_Bridge_2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by LockieKermit View Post
                    My question, Al, is how do I know if im hitting the right amounts of each body part and not hitting to much of another??

Like, now, I honestly feel like whiping out pushups and some planks, but I miss my back and my legs...
                    how do you design your workouts??
                    First off, what are your goals? How big and how strong do you want to get?

Second, realize that muscles don't grow by just using them. Growth is a hormonal response and in order to generate a substantial hormonal response, you need to stress your central nervous system. Push-ups sure feel like a hell of a workout depending on how many you do, but you're not causing much central nervous system stress unless you're doing them with someone standing on your back. I like breaking things up into two days:

Chest/Back/Shoulders
                    Legs/Arms/Abs

Workout #1 would be:
                    Deadlift
                    Benchpress
                    Bent-over Rows
                    Overhead Press
                    Weighted Pull-ups (get yourself a dip belt with a chain to hang weights off of)

Workout #2 would be:
                    Squats
                    Weighted Chin-ups (again, get yourself a dip belt with a chain to hang weights off of)
                    Standing Barbell Calf Raises
                    Lateral Raises
                    Heavy Straight Bar Curls
                    Heavy Abdominal Press

Then another day you can do some sprints.
                    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Im 17, dont want to go to a gym, just want to do homeworkouts.

I have a pull-up bar and some dumbells.

I was thinking just, pushups, pull-ups, chin-ups, chair dips, squats, lunges, burpees etc.
                      My goals? get a good body, gain strength, get fit.

Obviously, im not going to get the kind of strength and muscle gains that come with heavy lifting, but hey? I like body weight stuff.

Comment

just quit thinking about it and actually start doing it
                        Primal Chaos
                        37yo 6'5"
                        6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                        current 338lbs 49" waist
                        goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

What Mike Gager said ....

and keep a log so you know if you are progressing.
                          Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                          PS
                          Don't forget to play!

Comment

I just did a workout. A pyramin of chin-ups, pushups and squats. Got up to 5 reps before the chin-ups bombed out and I moved back down.
                            The last 4 sets or so of the pushups I switched to dive-bombers. Got a pretty good shoulder pump. After the workout I did a set of lunges on each leg.
                            From warm up to finish the whole thing probaly took less than 15 minutes.

It was a good session. Thanks guys

Comment

Don't neglect the press, however you do it. Strong shoulders translates to all kinds of upper body strength. Also, I agree wrt just go do a workout, don't ever let thinking about working out take the place of just working out. And if you don't want to lift iron, then do bodyweights. They are not the same thing but they are both good.
                              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Working...
                              X