No announcement yet.

Chronic Cardio Increases Life Expectancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rumor has it that the overall size of one's dong increases with chronic cardio.

Running Barefoot: Biomechanics of Foot Strike - second video to the right (from top)

Comment

Someone posted a link to this study before, but I'm adding analysis of said study.

Let’s take a closer look at the results.

Among runners with LGE, there were two patterns of abnormality. In the first pattern, found in 5, there was evidence on perfusion imaging and an anatomic pattern that confirmed these were typical ischemic infarcts. That is, they are evidence of heart attacks due to insufficient blood supply in the distribution of a particular diseased coronary artery. The kind of heart attacks we are all familiar with that kill 500,000 Americans a year. Two of the controls had these classic appearing infarcts.

Runners 5 classic heart attacks
      Sedentary 2 classic heart attacks

The second pattern of abnormality, seen in 7 runners and 2 of the sedentary, was non-classic LGE. These areas of dead tissue were found in the middle or outer layers of the heart muscle, rather than the subendocardial layer. They also tended to be more patchy in disrtibution. This non-classical pattern can indicate scarring or fibrosis from non-ischemic injury to the heart muscle, including myocarditis. However, despite lack of evidence for ischemia on perfusion MRI, this pattern can also occur to due coronary microembolization, where a coronary artery is not narrow enough to cause ischemia, yet small bits of plaque break off or tiny blood clots form and plug the arterioles deep in the muscle - causing infarction and permanent scarring in an “atypical” pattern.

The authors speculate that this atypical infarction could be due to exaggerated shear stress related to marathon running and disturbance of prothrombotic and fibrinolytic systems contributing to microthrombotic emboli.

I think that is a reasonable speculation.

Runners 7 non-classic heart attacks
      Sedentary 2 non-classic heart attacks

So whether we are looking at classic heart attacks or non-classic, the ratio is about 2.5 or 3 to 1 in favor of being relatively sedentary.
      Study 1: Myocardial late gadolinium enhancement: prevalence... [Radiology. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI
      Study 2: Running: the risk of coronary events
      Study 3: Impact of Unrecognized Myocardial Scar Detected by Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging on Event-Free Survival in Patients Presenting With Signs or Symptoms of Coronary Artery Disease
      Height: 5ft 9"
      Current pants size: 20 (Canada sizing).
      Goal: I'll let you know when I've reached it.

“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind
      is a faithful servant. We have created a society that
      honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.”
      ~Albert Einstein~

Comment

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing. This note in the comments section was interesting...

"still I´m wondering why the Tarahumara Indians live healthy up till 80 years and run their whole lives about 30 Miles or even more a day. They eat a high carb diet (a lot of corn), drink a lot of corn beer etc."

Never heard of these people...

Comment

I don't have access to the full text of that study, did they adjust for world war 2?

Comment

I think a healthy lifestyle eating whole foods and moving around will increase life expectancy and be more enjoyable. Chronic Cardio just plain sucks. I did it to lose my first 50lbs and it was incredibly destructive IMHO. I would push myself and mileage to insane levels and spen 12-13 hours a week pounding the pavement. I was always hurt be it achilles tendonitis or tweaking my knee or whatever other inflammatory problem was ailing me. I was sore and hobbled every morning I got out of bed just to hit the road at 5am so I could get to work by 8am. I was hungry all the time because I was still on the SAD thinking exercise was the secret.

And that is where we end up here. If you enjoy Chronic Cardio then do it but if you are doing it because you think it will extend your life by an average of 8 years well then that is dumb. You are going to be spending hours and hours a week by yourself then you might as well enjoy it or it is a waste of time.
            Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Comment

Most Tarahumra run 30 miles every single day? I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marnee View Post
                Most Tarahumra run 30 miles every single day? I doubt it.
                most tarahumara are drunks, let's be serious.

born to run was a fun read but it was like a cartoon

Comment

Originally posted by MightyAl View Post
                  I think a healthy lifestyle eating whole foods and moving around will increase life expectancy and be more enjoyable. Chronic Cardio just plain sucks. I did it to lose my first 50lbs and it was incredibly destructive IMHO. I would push myself and mileage to insane levels and spen 12-13 hours a week pounding the pavement. I was always hurt be it achilles tendonitis or tweaking my knee or whatever other inflammatory problem was ailing me. I was sore and hobbled every morning I got out of bed just to hit the road at 5am so I could get to work by 8am. I was hungry all the time because I was still on the SAD thinking exercise was the secret.

And that is where we end up here. If you enjoy Chronic Cardio then do it but if you are doing it because you think it will extend your life by an average of 8 years well then that is dumb. You are going to be spending hours and hours a week by yourself then you might as well enjoy it or it is a waste of time.
                  May be you were hurting because you were at least 50 lbs overweight? And may be, since you were over weight, you had bad running form as well and that aggravated issues further? And may be, since you were on SAD, you weren't getting proper nutrition for your body to recover or build strength? How can you single out running and blame it?
                  Last edited by 70in2012; 12-12-2011, 06:12 PM.
                  Few but ripe.

Comment

The message I got was that people work themselves like crazy doing chronic cardio to lose weight when they just shoot themselves in the foot with their diet choices. A lot of people associate going to the gym and running on a treadmill with the whole "being on a diet" and "getting in shape" thing. Why do that when you just run around and play? Or get roughly the same benefits by sprinting over a short period of time?

If people want to sit in the gym on a treadmill for an hour, go for it. I never did during the process of losing over 80 pounds and that was probably one of the reasons I was able to achieve what I have.
                    5-24-10 ................ 5-24-11
                    Weight: 281.......... Weight: 203

10-11-10
                    Weight: 259
                    Total Cholesterol: 243
                    LDL: 188
                    HDL: 40
                    Trig: 96

2-18-11
                    Weight: 228
                    Total Cholesterol: 239
                    LDL: 183 (calc), 138 (actual)
                    HDL: 46
                    Trig: 49

6-23-11
                    Weight: 197.2
                    Total Cholesterol: 225
                    LDL: 161 (calc), 120 (actual)
                    HDL: 56
                    Trig: 38

Comment

Enter Spam Man^
                      Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Comment

Originally posted by SoccerGrok View Post
                        Enter Spam Man^
                        What bothers me is how ineffective they are. If you attempt to quote them, you see that they try to post images, but they don't show up on the forum (at least not for me. I use Firefox browser and I block scripts but images should come through) so I don't really understand the point of them. Only the ones with links on their signatures make any sense.
                        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

“Everything in moderation, including moderation.”
                          ― Oscar Wilde

The philosophy that has worked for me for 35 years of running. Run 4-5 miles 3x/week at a 9-10 minute pace. Cross train: swim, bike, hike.
                          Sprinting + resting in the PBF can be considered the "including moderation" piece, i.e. run moderately and do some sprints every once in a while, and then take a rest day every once in a while.

From what I can tell, Mark's aversion to chronic cardio stems from his overdoing it for years as a competitive athlete. He burned himself out.

For those of us who have NOT burned ourselves out through grueling competition, there is nothing harmful with moderate "chronic" cardio. I've been running for 35 years with zero knee problems, and I'm now 60 years old (roughly the same age as Mark).

What seems to cause much of the confusion is the ambiguous "chronic" term. Does chronic mean 50 miles/week at a 6 minute pace (recipe for injuries), or 12 miles/week at a 9-10 minute pace? If its the former, I agree with Mark. If its the latter, I disagree.
                          Click here for my hiking and backpacking Youtube Channel

Comment

Working...
                          X