Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What cardio then, if jogging is bad for you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you believe that 30 minutes of jogging at 75-85% of your MHR will make your heart stronger, then surely doing 10 lb. bicep curls for 30 minutes 3 times a week will have you looking like Arnold in no time.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

It's not necessary to do 30 minutes of jogging/running to benefit your cardiovascular system. Strength training will give a lot of the same benefits, especially if relatively shorter rest periods are used. However, there are many other ways to strengthen your heart. Just one example is using Tabata intervals. This consists of doing 20 seconds of intense activity followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated 8 times (for a total of only 4 minutes). Just because this is short doesn't mean it is easy. Work into this program slowly or be prepared for extreme nausea!! The original study used exercise bikes, but this can be done with squats, kettlebell swings, sprints, etc.

Comment

So far I am back into short runs - 3 to 3 1/2 miles... We'll see what happens when I start to ramp up. I am actually running a half marathon on March 20 in Washington DC, so I need to prepare myself for that as well.

Comment

Wow, those burpee pullups look intense!

Comment

Working...
          X