No announcement yet.

Bad Weather/Winter Exercise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can deal just fine with the cold... it's refreshing, right!?

But the darkness is what gets me... it's dark at 4:30 here. Makes going to the park a bit sketchy.

Walking around the neighborhood to look at Christmas lights is an OK alternative (I guess). I cannot wait until spring!!!

Comment

Bad weather is galvanizing.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysara View Post
        I can deal just fine with the cold... it's refreshing, right!?

But the darkness is what gets me... it's dark at 4:30 here. Makes going to the park a bit sketchy.

Walking around the neighborhood to look at Christmas lights is an OK alternative (I guess). I cannot wait until spring!!!
        +1000

I can deal with cold and snow and most weather just fine. But when its dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home... The cases of the "fuck its" come on hard.

The good news is I have access to my old highschool gym tuesday and thursdays from 630-8 so I can hit some weights at least. I can motivate myself to go about 80% of the time the dark thing is a killer.

Comment

I'd recommend fitness hula hooping. Preferably using a weighted hoop with a large diameter depending on your size (38 inch diameter was a good size for me to start on, with an approx 31 inch waist). The smaller the hoop to waist ratio the more challenging you will find it. Sorry I can't recommend a US supplier as I live in the UK.

Hooping is great fun, excellent for the waistline as it tightens the abs, and a very good mood enhancer.

Not sure how primal it is considered to be, but it does have a 'dance feel' to it, and dance is certainly primal.

I've been amazed at how quickly I've progressed with developing tricks, which makes it very rewarding.

Yoga and light dancing are also easy enough to do at home (I'd recommend using a video guide if you've not tried yoga before). Yoga is great for mood and the immune system. My pet rabbit has a small repertoire of yoga moves so I say that makes yoga primal!
          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Dance Dance Revolution.
            Downloaded Stepmania, bought a USB dance pad and have downloaded a bunch of songs I like. Stepmania forums are filled with custom songs, you're not limited to techno. It's virtually my only exercise in winter, I'd rather get a treadmill to walk while watching TV or working though.

Comment

I'm not sure how much snow you get in your area, but snowshoeing is so fun! You can move at a slow pace, and warm up pretty quickly. I love being able to get out in the woods in winter. It is so beautiful and still. I'm working on learning the animal tracks, as well. Good luck! I'm in Maine, and it gets tough getting through the cold and dark winter months.

Comment

after i got stuck home for 5 days in heavy nasty windy rain, i got myself a decent hunting jacket. i always get hunting gear over flash tramping gear as you are out for a long time when you are hunting, you move constantly over all sorts of potentially exposed terrain and obstacles and have to be able to sprint. the hunting jacket wasnt cheap and i had to pay it off but it has been worth every cent. if you get a decent one like an under armour one, for example, it will pack down to the size of a water bottle too. at a push a decent army surplus gortex jacket could do but i found mine didnt breathe as well. so yeah, i just put my jacket on and a cap to keep my hair dry and i do it. you can always have a nice hot shower when you get home.

Comment

Ever thought of yoga? You don't even need a mat if you're not going to a studio. When I'm at home I normally just throw a few big towels down on the carpet as a sweat barrier.

Comment

Originally posted by dishandspoon2008 View Post
                    That's kinda my problem - I just stay home Winter sucks, and this cold disgusting rain we've been having is just plain foul. It's dark when I get up and get home from work, so even if it isn't nasty outside I'm not comfortable walking around the neighborhood in the dark as I have no cell phone.
                    maybe carry a weapon with you at night

Comment

How tall are your ceilings? I have 10 foot ceileings and some tile so I jumprope inside soemtimges. If I had a kettlebell I could do that too. And there's always a TRX. I have one and they are great workouts.

Or you could try "Convict Conditioning".

Comment

dado I have been meaning to get my concealed carry, but it's one of those things I push off and push off. this is a perfect reason, actually!

I'm so glad that I posted this thread, because I've gotten so many good ideas for staying active. I'm thinking of maybe giving snowboarding a whirl, as after some investigation it doesn't seem like it's nearly as bad for the knees as I've always thought (I had surgery on my left 12 years ago and I am still such a wuss about it). hub has always loved it, but he's such a polar bear and wants nothing more in the world than to move to Alaska lol

Comment

Try good old Harvard bench step:
                          Stand on a staircase. (or use a sturdy stepstool.)
                          Step up right, step up left. Step down left, step down right. Repeat until Mark scolds you to stop it with the chronic cardio.
                          You can walk it, jog it, sprint it, jump it, go up and down two steps, whatever. You'd be surprised how all-out you can go, and you have a railing to grab if you lose your balance.
                          Also, check your diet -- my understanding is that you should be still losing weight slowly even if you do nothing.
                          5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

I dont know about there but here in Louisville alot of churches have free indoor walking tracks you can use.

Comment

Working...
                            X