Help me get back into exercise!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me get back into exercise!

I've been neglecting my exercise routine for a few months, and I'm getting very deconditioned. The routine in question involved a kettlebell and a Shovelglove (8-lb. sledgehammer), as well as some yoga. I'd like to get back into it, but I'm worried about hurting myself - when I tried some kettlebell swings, I immediately got a bit of a twinge in my shoulder, and the Shovelglove exercises (even only a few reps) got my hands really sore. What should I do to get back into my routine safely? (I don't have any other gym equipment other than the kettlebell and the sledgehammer, and I can't afford a gym membership right now)

For what it's worth, my right hand is somewhat weak due to nerve damage, and since I play the piano, I am very paranoid about hands/fingers/wrists. I really don't want to hurt something, but I don't want to become fused to my couch either. Halp?

Stretch and warm up. Just enough to get the blood pumping. Body weight workouts can build amazing physiques. If you continue having an unusual amount of pain then see a doctor.
    My Blog -----> Two Bar Garage

Comment

+1 on the bodyweight exeercises...I used kbells 3-4 times a week since I had SLAP surgery on my right shoulder 2 years ago. Are you doing 1 or 2 handed swings?
      Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Comment

Once you have your shoulders warmed up you should be able to manage swings as they are more of a posterior chain exercise....the shoulders should only be acting as a hinge.
        Go hard on the body weight exercises.
        Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
        PS
        Don't forget to play!

Comment

Primal Blueprint Fitness | Mark's Daily Apple

Start very slow, forget the kettlebells for at least 6 months. Get clearance from your doctor and stick at it for 3-4 months minimum.
          Live. Grow. Flourish.

My Journal/story is at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread38948.html

Comment

Originally posted by meepster View Post
            I've been neglecting my exercise routine for a few months, and I'm getting very deconditioned. The routine in question involved a kettlebell and a Shovelglove (8-lb. sledgehammer), as well as some yoga. I'd like to get back into it, but I'm worried about hurting myself - when I tried some kettlebell swings, I immediately got a bit of a twinge in my shoulder, and the Shovelglove exercises (even only a few reps) got my hands really sore. What should I do to get back into my routine safely? (I don't have any other gym equipment other than the kettlebell and the sledgehammer, and I can't afford a gym membership right now)

For what it's worth, my right hand is somewhat weak due to nerve damage, and since I play the piano, I am very paranoid about hands/fingers/wrists. I really don't want to hurt something, but I don't want to become fused to my couch either. Halp?
            Defining Exercise | Baye Fitness Systems – Exercise, Nutrition, and Lifestyle | Baye Fitness Systems - Exercise, Nutrition, and Lifestyle

Comment

Start very slow, forget the kettlebells for at least 6 months. Get clearance from your doctor and stick at it for 3-4 months minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by SoccerGrok View Post
                +1 on the bodyweight exeercises...I used kbells 3-4 times a week since I had SLAP surgery on my right shoulder 2 years ago. Are you doing 1 or 2 handed swings?
                2 handed - I figured I'd start slow. It still seems to tweak my right shoulder. Sigh.

Comment

And thank you to all of you - I think I'll be doing easy bodyweight exercises for now. I might also acquire some lightweight dumbbells, just to get my hands back in shape.

Comment

Walk. A lot.

Comment

get some cheap bike gloves. Saves my hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave RN View Post
                        get some cheap bike gloves. Saves my hands.
                        It's not the skin that's the problem - it's the muscles and tendons; I'm afraid of giving myself a case of tendonitis, which I really can't afford now since I have to record a CD next month. I'm not sure gloves will help with that...

Comment

If piano is truly your career, I wouldn't risk doing ANY of these exercises just to be Primal.
                          I like the suggestion to walk a lot. Or just focus on lower body for now.

For finger strength, get a couple Gripmastersfrom Amazon.

For slow and easy gym workouts, I suggest an exercise ball/balance ball. For 25 bucks you can get a ball from Reebok which includes a reasonably good CD (Tanja Djevela-something). Look up "Ridgeline fitness" for some great video podcasts of balance ball exercises.
                          5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

The thing is, when I was doing kettlebells on a regular basis, I found that it actually helped my piano playing. You need strong hands to play the piano. So I do want to ease back into weight training. But for now, yes, walking is definitely a wonderful thing, and I've been doing bodyweight squats as well. I'll get back in shape eventually.

Comment

The best grip training I have found is hanging from a bar. I do pull ups, hanging leg lifts, and sometimes I hang from the bar as long as I can. Otherwise I do BW exercises from the convict conditioning program.

I just got back into the swing of things tonight with a sandbag workout but that would probably be a little much for you at this point.
                              Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X