Fasting and Lifting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fasting and Lifting

Hey guys, I've been looking for some info on the benefits of working out during IF (18+ hours), but I can't find much. Does anyone have any links or information on it?

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Check out this Youtube channel. Brad has some good info.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bradpilon#p/a/7A3167BDCAD74C6D/1/8f-0MB2Uz_I

http://www.youtube.com/user/bradpilon#p/a/A71CB30D4E843465/2/da2pc3vMkSc

more:

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/huma...h-hormone.html

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

Thanks a lot Tarlach!

Tarlach, are there any noticeable symptoms of high production of HGH?

Comment

Not that I am aware of.

Unless you count muscle growth!

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
        Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
        Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

I know from experience that, for my style of training at least, a fast hinders my performance - the paleo-diet as a whole has compromised my performance actually. I may be releasing more HGH and in the long-run that may help me to hold onto/increase muscle mass but my energy level is poor while at the gym and I&#39;m really struggling to maintain what I was doing while I was eating whatever I wanted.

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Comment

@Jokaman

How long have you been primal for?

Comment

A little less than a month.

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Comment

For how long did you try to lift fasted?

It was hard for me at first but after 2 months I adapted to it. I&#39;m interested in knowing in more detail how my body does it. I&#39;m -amazed- by it.

Comment

I&#39;m performing my lifts in a fasted state for three months now. It took me about a week to get used to it, but in the long run it really helped me a lot to improve my performance. My energy levels are way less fluctuating that they did when I was eating regular meals, an especially before workouts.

I don&#39;t know how much it supports muscle growth, but from my own experience I can say it&#39;s at least not counterproductive and it just feels right for me and my body.

Comment

I&#39;ve been IFing 4-5 days a week for 2 plus years and prefer working out fasted because my energy levels are more consistent than if I ate even a few hours before a workout. It could be either high, or low enough I didn&#39;t feel like working out. My body took about 2-3 months to get used to it, but some of that was psychological. Here is a blog discussing this very subject. She cites studies on soccer players during Ramdam, where fasting is done between dawn and dusk.

http://www.begin2dig.com/2010/01/fas...-workouts.html

Comment

I&#39;ve been working out in a fasted state for about a year, and I&#39;ve had better gains in strength because of it. I would always tell my fiancee to try it, but she hesitated, until last week when she tried it and had the best workout ever. She also said that she lifted quite a bit more on all lifts, and didn&#39;t run out of energy (she doesn&#39;t train for more than one hour).

Comment

I introduced this topic on a lifting forum and it was like blasphemy, lol.

I&#39;ll definitely continue doing it. I&#39;m getting really big and strong so obviously it&#39;s not affecting me negatively. I want my body to further adapt to lifting without food. Who knows, maybe I&#39;ll pull a 48 hour fast one of these days. =]

Comment

@Raphael

If I&#39;m correct.... your primary goal is growing muscle, bulk, strength etc. This led you to more carbs, the warrior diet, but I&#39;m not sure of our exercise program.

Would you mind updating me (us) on your methods and progress?

Comment

My primary goals are strength and health. What do you want to know?

I&#39;m doing Stronglifts 5x5, 3 times a week. My calories are between 3,000 ~ 3,500 a day and carbs are 150 grams. I&#39;ve found that I do not gain any fat if I stay close to 100 grams. But if I do go over 150, I notice some fat gain around my belly, which is remedied by a couple of days of lower-carb and longer fasts. But I&#39;m sacrificing being fat right now for the sake of strength and bulk, and let me tell you, I&#39;m more than satisfied with the results so far. I wish I started earlier. I&#39;m glad I got over my fear of being fat.

Comment

I was just curious because the warrior diet stresses leaness but I was under the impression you were using it to gain weight. I tend to agree with your observations on the number of carbs for loss and gain.

I like to stay under 100 grams of carbs because I want to lose fat. If I&#39;m over 150 then I will gain.

I&#39;m under 1900 calories, but I&#39;ve still got about 30 lbs to lose.

Tell me more about stronglifts 5 x 5. I&#39;m not familiar with that protocol.

Comment

Working...
                              X