Workout to smoke your grip!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workout to smoke your grip!

Here's a KB routine I did earlier this week that made me realize I need some more serious grip work.

16kg TGU with 2 full arm rotations (palms in, then away, etc) and easy neck stretch (look up, down) at appropriate stopping points in the move.

5 cleans & presses then bottoms-up clean. Walk with that balanced clean 30-50 yards. Repeat other arm. X3

Finish with 60-80 hand-to-hand swings.

I had to lightly assist my left handed bottoms-up clean with a couple right fingers to make the whole walk. Shows skill/strength imbalance.
    http://facebook.com/fitmountain

Know your limits. Then shatter them.

BUP carries are serious grip work - well done!
    Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
    Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
    The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
    Brute Force Sandbags
    www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
    http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

convict conditioning 2 grip workout is simply hanging from a bar for time.
      Primal Chaos
      37yo 6'5"
      6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
      current 338lbs 49" waist
      goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

I started doing more hanging ab work when i am doing pull ups. This will do the trick as well. Doing some hanging knee's to elbows, or ankles to bar. Then a few rounds of skin the cat. You will be struggling to hold on if you do these in a rotation with various pull ups.

Comment

straight supine Dead lifts do wonders for grip strength. especially heavy.

Comment

Love the BU cleans/presses...also try swing catches(instead of the hand-hands) at the end of the set.
            Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post
              convict conditioning 2 grip workout is simply hanging from a bar for time.
              Mike, I'm a big fan of CC. I've heard CC2 has more grip emphasis. Have you read read/reviewed the whole book?

Comment

yeah i have it. i havent read the entire thing yet but skimmed through most of it. the first 60 or so pages are all about grip and hand/forearm strength. if you liked the first one id say definitely get the second
                Primal Chaos
                37yo 6'5"
                current 338lbs 49" waist
                goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Although I cannot really articulate it, there are different facets to grip strength. Ironmind has a number of different products oriented towards different kinds of grip and hand strength, check it out: Shop IronMind's hand health tools for strength, therapy, rehab, injury prevention, hand pain relief

The bottoms up type of clean and KB hold works a closing/crushing grip strength. I think regular KB snatches especially several reps in a row, say like 20 reps on one side or more without stopping is more like the hanging from a bar type of grip strength. While the two types are related, they are still a bit different. I think you also have to balance out the crushing grip strength with an opening move or else there is a risk of golfer's elbow and tendoniits--it happened to me. A good thing to do is double up rubberbands and put one on the tips of your fingers and thumb and expand all your fingers out, like the opposite of a crush grip.

Comment

Thanks Jeff, I need to give my grip a well rounded approach as I'm a professional guitar player outside of my life in the fitness world. Obviously training has the potential for a lot of good and bad.

Comment

Just thought of another variation I have seen before. Use two towels and wrap them around your pull up bar. Then grip the towels instead of the bar. So you would loop the towel over the bar then grab both ends below the bar so your forced to use more grip. Then do your normal pull up activities.

Hopefully that describes it well enough.

Comment

I attempted the BUP today and man, those are hard! I was only using a 25lb KB and I could not balance it. Definitely one to work on. Any tips?

Comment

Originally posted by critta View Post
                          Just thought of another variation I have seen before. Use two towels and wrap them around your pull up bar. Then grip the towels instead of the bar. So you would loop the towel over the bar then grab both ends below the bar so your forced to use more grip. Then do your normal pull up activities.

CC2 uses towels in its grip progression with the final level being the 1 arm towel hang
                          Primal Chaos
                          37yo 6'5"
                          current 338lbs 49" waist
                          goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Jeffc nailed it, there are a lot of different types of grip strength, though the big three named are:

1) Crushing strength (think lifting a heavy bb or db or the bonecrusher handshake)
                            2) Pinching strength (applying the force on a narrow area, like lifting a block weight or a 45# plate)
                            3) Support (i.e., wrist) strength.

BUP are a pretty wicked exercise and I can do them with my 35# kb with either hand (though I have never tried a walk and hold before, so may have to try that some time). If someone wanted to train for them, I would suggest some pulling crush grip work (like heavy deadlifts or shrugs without straps) as well as doing levering/weaver bar exercises to build up the wrist, so that you can balance the kb while it is upside down.
                            turquoisepassion - I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS

Comment

Originally posted by critta View Post

Yes! I actually discovered this on accident last year. I started padding my home door-frame pull up bar and eventually started wrapping towels around the ends where the bar lies against the door frame. Also advantageous for keeping those pinched callouses in check.

Comment

Working...
                              X