Girls and six-packs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girls and six-packs

I'm on a swim team and people have noticed that you can see my six-pack. (yay!) But, they're telling me that it's unhealthy for a girl to let their 6 be visible becuase women need more fat than men. I'm not inclined to believe them...but...are they right? And if not, what can I tell them to convince them that I'm not ruining my "baby making equipment" by havng little fat around my middle?

I don't think it's a one-size fits all proclamation (is anything)? Some people will have good ab definition at higher bodyfat percentages than other people. If you're still healthy and not experiencing ammenorrhea I wouldn't worry too much.

Comment

I know that girls with very low body fat can stop having their monthly (hey, I got to use those anatomy classes after all). I want to say that that was do more to anorexia than low body fat by itself. If you have a healthy diet and still have your monthly then I'm pretty sure that means everything is operating as it should.
      My Blog -----> Two Bar Garage

Comment

Tell them your uterus fell out long ago from some high intensity, non female specific exercising.

Comment

Going to need pictures of your bum and thighs to determine how much phat you're carrying around there, lady.

ahem, what I mean to say is, if you have what most would consider "nice" legs and ass you're probably fine, if both of those are rather skinny then maybe your friends are right.

I went to HS with a girl that always had visible abs, but she also had a superb lower body that was most decidedly not lacking fat.... ifyouknowwhatImean

It's never too early to be a total creep, I reckon. Good morning everyone!
          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Thanks! Yeah, my general answer when people tell me I shouldn't eat this way, or do this or that, is I'm healthy and feeling great, so why does it matter? People are usually pretty dumbfounded by that... (or they say I'm harming my health in the future, to which I usually give up the argument)

Comment

Best to just smile, nod and continue being awesome!
              My Blog -----> Two Bar Garage

Comment

Originally posted by crowemagnonman View Post
                Best to just smile, nod and continue being awesome!
                +1
                sigpic

Comment

Maybe they're just jealous that you look awesome and they dont?

Comment

If your cycle is normal, then you have nothing to worry about. If it isn't normal, you should be concerned and maybe talk to a doctor, but it isn't a certain sentence of infertility. Your body can recover from that just fine in most cases.

Women's body fat does tend to be higher than men's, but that doesn't preclude you from having a six-pack, depending on what your bodyfat actually is, and where it is carried. If you are on a swim team, I'm guessing you're still pretty young (not more than mid-20's, probably) and towards the lower end of healthy, which should be fine.

If you want to have something to end the arguments, get your bodyfat checked- you can try to measure and use an online calculator or three, because it is really difficult to do the algorithms for women. A better way would be to check at your university and see if they can do it for you. Your coach might be able to hook it up for you, if you present it as a health and safety issue. "Coach, a lot of people have been commenting... I'm concerned that... Could you help me get my body fat level checked accurately?" As long as you are in or near the healthy range you should be fine, and you have an argument-ending statement of "My bodyfat percentage is X%, which is in the healthy range. Shut the hell up, you jealous @#!$%!"

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                      ahem, what I mean to say is, if you have what most would consider "nice" legs and ass you're probably fine, if both of those are rather skinny then maybe your friends are right.

I went to HS with a girl that always had visible abs, but she also had a superb lower body that was most decidedly not lacking fat.... ifyouknowwhatImean
                      I agree.

No fat on abdomen does not mean no fat anywhere else. I just means you don't have a WHEAT BELLY. :P

Congratulations!

Comment

My guess is that if you do get pregnant, your body will take the necessary steps by increasing food cravings, storing more fat, etc.

If you're eating right, getting sensible exercise, and your body is functioning properly, I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

And luckily even if you're body fat IS low enough to cause fertility issues all you have to do (plus the guy obviously!) if you DO want to get pregnant later on is put on a bit of weight. Being too skinny to get pregnant doesn't cause you to become sterile. It just means your body is smart enough to know that you can't support a baby right now!

And yes I realize that your post wasn't directly about getting pregnant. But no you won't cause permanent damage to your body simply by being skinny. And having a 6 pack doesn't necessarily equal being to skinny anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
                            If your cycle is normal, then you have nothing to worry about. If it isn't normal, you should be concerned and maybe talk to a doctor, but it isn't a certain sentence of infertility. Your body can recover from that just fine in most cases.

Women's body fat does tend to be higher than men's, but that doesn't preclude you from having a six-pack, depending on what your bodyfat actually is, and where it is carried.
                            This ^

Originally posted by Noctiluca View Post
                            But no you won't cause permanent damage to your body simply by being skinny. And having a 6 pack doesn't necessarily equal being to skinny anyway.
                            And this ^

If you're worried, get it tested, but if you're still getting periods, I doubt it's an issue. If it is, it's easy to pack on a little more fat.
                            Durp.

Comment

Utter nonsense. Girls with six packs are not unhealthy. You'd need to have a body fat measurement to see how much your fat carrying, I think 18% BF for female and 11% for male is the ideal and most healthy ratio, base it on this rather than stomach fat. Your fat typically is on your boobs, bum and thighs anyway not your tummy. Males store fat on there belly's. Well done on the six pack BTW, nice work!
                              www.paleotrainingbible.com

Comment

Working...
                              X