ab work = bloating?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ab work = bloating?

I gave birth 7 weeks ago and have been cleared by my Dr to workout again. I had a c section so I have been taking it easy. I will only do about 25 crunches at a time. But after any ab work (not just crunches) my tummy gets really bloated. Has anyone else have this happen? I hate working out and then looking like I am 4 months pregnant afterwards. To say the least, it is really discouraging!

yo won't bloat

Comment

dont need to do crunches to workout abs just do core exercises. seems like to me after c section 7 weeks in not that long for recovery, but im no doctor. maybe start with planks, do some light kettlebell workouts, ive even done pilates(freakin brutal IMO). just engaging ur stomach muscle is a workout, so tighten ur abs muscles every once in awhile for like 20secs every hour if u want.
      "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
      started @400+pounds
      CW: 191lbs 15%BF
      PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
      UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

Comment

Originally posted by MaceyK View Post
        I gave birth 7 weeks ago and have been cleared by my Dr to workout again. I had a c section so I have been taking it easy. I will only do about 25 crunches at a time. But after any ab work (not just crunches) my tummy gets really bloated. Has anyone else have this happen? I hate working out and then looking like I am 4 months pregnant afterwards. To say the least, it is really discouraging!
        Crunches after a c-section aren't a great idea - you'll need exercises like planks rather than exercises that shorten the rectus abdominis
        Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
        Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
        The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
        Brute Force Sandbags
        www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
        http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
          Crunches after a c-section aren't a great idea - you'll need exercises like planks rather than exercises that shorten the rectus abdominis
          maybe start the planks on your knees if full planks hurt too much. i think the bloating may be a sign of inflammation, quite natural in this case. being a guy, and never having given birth, i can only surmise that you'll need to go s-l-o-w.

Comment

Also, crunches are a pretty useless exercise.
            Planks are great, or leg lifts while lying on your back are better than crunches.

I heard earlier today on the forums that chinups stimulate the abdominal muscles more than any other exercise, but I haven't verified the research. It does match with my personal experience, though.

*Edit* It was Kharnath's post in the following thread:
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread42188.html

Comment

You are starting way too early, and crunches are a big no-no after a ceaserean. I had one 5 years ago, and there was no way I was exercising past slow walking well into 12-14 weeks after. You've had major survey where they cut through your abdominal muscles, you really shouldn't be doing crunches now.

Comment

Originally posted by MaceyK View Post
                Ask a medical doctor for advice.
                Yeah, my grammar sucks. Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Kharnath View Post
                  Yeah because they are so knowledgeable! If they say it it must be so.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever Young View Post
                    Yeah because they are so knowledgeable! If they say it it must be so.
                    This thread is about a million years old. However, she had a C-section and experienced weird bloating when doing abdominal exercises. I'm curious, who do you think she should ask for medical advice if not her doctor? Her accountant? Her lawyer perhaps? Or maybe the anonymous people here on Mark's Daily Apple??

Comment

It's pretty simple. Do no direct ab work. None. If you are doing compound movements, you don't need to waste time doing ab exercises. At my most ripped ever I had great abs and did like one set of crunches in about 4 months. It made me realize how useless it was. They get plenty of work with the other exercises.

Comment

This thread is about a million years old. However, she had a C-section and experienced weird bloating when doing abdominal exercises. I'm curious, who do you think she should ask for medical advice if not her doctor? Her accountant? Her lawyer perhaps? Or maybe the anonymous people here on Mark's Daily Apple??
                        You place a lot of faith in the medical profession.

Comment

It's pretty simple. Do no direct ab work. None. If you are doing compound movements, you don't need to waste time doing ab exercises. At my most ripped ever I had great abs and did like one set of crunches in about 4 months. It made me realize how useless it was. They get plenty of work with the other exercises.
                          I think you miss the point completely. We're not talking about exercise A compared to exercise B. We're talking about a woman who had a surgical procedure in the abdomen and couldn't do direct ab work without bloating - and you don't address that in your post at all. Surely, she should be able to do direct ab work without bloating, right?

You place a lot of faith in the medical profession.
                          Well, you just suggested compound movements to a woman who was seven weeks out of a C-section. Here's what Wiki has to say about C-section and recovery time:

"Typically, the recovery time depends on the patient and her pain tolerance and inflammation levels. Doctors do recommend abstention from strenuous work (e.g., lifting objects over 10 lbs (4.5 kg)., running, walking up stairs, or athletics) for up to six months [...]"

Comment

Working...
                          X