Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burning calories: jogging vs. road biking.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning calories: jogging vs. road biking.

Does anyone have any idea how many miles you would have to ride a road bike to equal one mile of running assuming everything else being equal? I've turned my 3 mile runs (2-3 days a week) into 12 mile rides but I don't feel as sweaty or exhausted. I want to make sure I'm still burning calories. Thanks.

ps.

I also mountain bike and will be increasing my distance. This is on lunch break.

On the topic of calories, the benefit of exercise is not that of caloric reduction in the body, but one of a chemical reaction in how your metabolism is set.

Watch the video "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" on YouTube. It's very scientifically enlightening as to how the Doctor explains this 'misnomer' quite well!

Comment

So...not calories in, calories out?

Comment

Another good read

http://www.cbass.com/FATBURN.HTM

Comment

I would also question whether the 'calories in, calories out' methodology is at all workable for everyday people. Do you have a food log? Are you 100% accurate? Do you record all activity and day to day variations? After all, exercise doesn't burn that many calories, and people overestimate its effects. If you are 100 or 200 calories off, then you're entire evaluation is skewed.

IMHO, regardless of theoretical debates about metabolism, the calories in, calories out method is difficult and there are better ways of thinking about the role of exercise.

Comment

Here you go based off of oxygen consumption to find a ratio btw cycling and running.

http://www.active.com/cycling/Articles/Convert_your_cycling_miles_to_running_miles_____an d_vice-versa.htm

I prefer the 30min mtb ride during lunch, its just more fun to me than running or road biking. I don't care much about the calories, since my real limiting factor is time. Every couple weeks I'll put in that hr ride, but can't get too many of those in before I get a talking to. HAHAHA

Comment

Thanks man. That was helpful.

Comment

There's something to calories-in-calories-out, but it's not as simple as "I rode my bike 20 miles and burned 200 calories, so that offsets this 200 calorie Mars bar."

The exercise stimulates hormonal reactions that impact calorie burn, as does the Mars bar. These hormonal reactions do not balance out neatly in the number of calories that appears on the exercise-bike readout or Mars bar wrapper.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Thanks Barbie. I kind of had a handle on that and I'm SO not eating Mars bars. Anywho, it's just that my 12 miles of riding haven't felt as exhausting as my 3 miles of running. I didn't want to short change myself. That said, I'm 200lbs (6'1"), so the biking may just be much more mechanically easy or at least not as hard on my body.

Comment

Yes, the relative mechanical ease of the bike plays into it. On the bike you don't have the gravity stress or impact stress that you do in running. Assuming you're equally well trained in biking and running, then running at a given heart rate should generally feel more difficult than biking at the same heart rate, or (put another way) for any given heart rate you can generally maintain a higher power output on the bike than you can running.

But step back a second - are these intended as "move slowly" workouts? If they are, then I wouldn't worry too much about "short changing" yourself with a workout that feels easy. Take those workouts easy, make them enjoyable, and the benefits will come. You'll also have more energy for lifting, sprinting, and play. From the sound of it, your move to the bike might be great for you - regardless of the calorie differential - because you aren't exhausting yourself as much.

Comment

Geoff makes a good point.

Comment

Thanks Geoff. The biking is my main exercise. Did some skiing with my sons on Saturday.

Comment

I agree with Geoff, if these are the move slowly exercises then don't worry about calories and workload etc...

Otherwise I would say that neither running nor roadbiking really cut it for me as main exercise, but MTB does... find a nice place with lots of small hills, and have a go at it... HIIT on the bike! Mileage doesn't matter as much on the MTB as the terrain (works way better for the mind as well, instead of endless miles on the road bike)

Neither running nor MTB are really a replacement for weight training though, rather they compliment each other

Comment

Thanks Claude. I'm definitely more of a mountain biker and will do 20-30 mile rides as time permits. I've been MTBing since 1990, have raced, etc. However, I live in the mid-atlantic where rain, snow, mud, make MTBing more difficult this time of year. I've always supplemented with running but decided I hated it and would like road riding more. I also haven't weight trained in a long time because I don't like that either and was hoping to lose weight. I feel a lot better and think I've lost inches but still hover around 200lbs.

Comment

Working...
                            X