Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butt wink/tuck during squatting

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any advice on how to stop the butt wink/tuck during squatting? I am not going to add any weight to my squats until I am able to achieve that full ROM, but I don't know how to stop it from happening.

I have heard it is due to poor hamstring flexibility. I have been working on that, but I still can't seem to get to parallel during a squat without the butt tuck.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
    Theresa

Two important questions to ask yourself every week:
    Did I run faster and farther this week than I did last week?
    Can I lift more weight and do more repetitions that I did last week?

It's hamstring flexibility. Work on your hip mobility and stretch your hammies. The butt wink thing isn't a big deal and shouldn't even be mentioned in the crossfit airsquat youtube video - just misrepresents the phenomenon as something to do with poor form.

A good place to start is MobilityWOD

do a search for

"hamstring"
    "hips"
    "squat"

and see what comes up to help improve your ROM

Don't fret over a butt wink
    ad astra per aspera

Comment

I have this issue too. It's frustrating as hell. Doing squats with your legs as close to the wall as possible (facing the wall) helps keep your hips back and forces you to use your glute/hamstrings, which are the weak link. Also, box squats help. I just keep fighting for it as much as possible.

Comment

Thank you both for replying! I'll continue working on my hamstring ROM as well as practicing my squat form with a chair.

Oh, and doing the face-the-wall squats made me laugh; more like face-into-wall squat :P

practice, practice, practice...
        Theresa

Comment

Do you know where your erector spinae muscles are, and how to activate them? Throughout the squat you should also focus on keeping your lower back arched -- this will counter the pull of the hamstrings and give you more depth.

Comment

Originally posted by AndreaReina View Post
            Do you know where your erector spinae muscles are, and how to activate them? Throughout the squat you should also focus on keeping your lower back arched -- this will counter the pull of the hamstrings and give you more depth.
            I agree - the biggest thing I found helped my form was focusing on keeping a proper position with my lower back, and my hip angle(i.e. angle between the lower back and legs at the hip joint). I still struggle with my squat forms, and really have to watch my mechanics if I'm to safely generate power.

Comment

FEET STRAIGHT AHEAD, KNEES OUT! Make sure your trunk is always stabilized (Kstar's squeze butt, ribcage down), then lead the motion with your hips and let the knees spread gradually. Make sure your feet aren't rolling over as you do this, keep the arch in them by grinding theminto the ground. Where your hammies lack, your knees can spread out.

Comment

I'm no expert, but I'm going to have to debate this last point. Every squat tutorial I've ever seen involves letting your feet point in a direction that feels natural and then making sure your knees track over your feet. Anything else seems to be asking for knee injury.

Comment

I have been changing up my form a bit and working on keeping that arched back during a squat today. One thing I noticed is that when I have my feet slightly farther than shoulder width apart (while knees still track over the toes and don't move inward) that I can much more easily reach parallel.

But from what I have been reading, you should have your feet shoulder width apart, not farther apart (unless I am doing a sumo squat or something, which I am not).

haha, am I just over analyzing something really simple?

By the way, thank you everyone for your suggestions and advice!
                  Theresa

Comment

Originally posted by Sean_OToole View Post
                    I'm no expert, but I'm going to have to debate this last point. Every squat tutorial I've ever seen involves letting your feet point in a direction that feels natural and then making sure your knees track over your feet. Anything else seems to be asking for knee injury.

One thing about letting your feet point outwards though is that you lose a SIGNIFICANT amount of power. You take a lot of the hip muscles out of the equation. If keeping your feet pointed forward hurts or stresses something then you need to be working on your mobility for that area. Correct form for a strong and powerful squat is toes forward, knees wide and keep your butt back so your knees stay behind your toes.

Comment

Originally posted by Noctiluca View Post
                      One thing about letting your feet point outwards though is that you lose a SIGNIFICANT amount of power. You take a lot of the hip muscles out of the equation. If keeping your feet pointed forward hurts or stresses something then you need to be working on your mobility for that area. Correct form for a strong and powerful squat is toes forward, knees wide and keep your butt back so your knees stay behind your toes.
                      Keeping the knees in-line with the feet minimizes lateral torque on the knees and ankles, a type of force they are not designed to bear. The pain is because it's genuinely not good for the system, not because the person experiencing it needs mobility work. I also fail to see how a toes forward position increases power -- opening the toes allows the hips to open more easily, allowing you to access the adductors effectively, and that increases power. Glutes are worked any way you squat, and hamstring activation is optimized by the low-bar position and proper depth (which is aided by the wider stance). What muscles are added by turning the toes forward?

Comment

Toes forward discourages hyper-extension of the knees.
                        A)When we point our toes outward any more than 5-10 degrees, we can create the illusion to ourselves that we are spreading the knees and/or tracking inside the feet when we're actually not.
                        B) Creation of torque from top of motion to bottom. Stand straight with feet/toes straight and try to harness a lot of torque from external hip rotation, driving your feet into the ground, then do it with feet pointed out. There's a lot less power/stability in the 2nd position. It's like doing a pushup with your hands angled outward. Don't work.

Spreading the knees is the biggest part of gaining positive range, though. When we reach that point of no buttwink return it is the only effective and safe option, and buttwink IS dangerous; it's sacral flexion under heavy load.
                        Last edited by Jimcbrooklyn; 12-02-2011, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X