X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I Do All This Walking, or How Systems Become Fragile

Very interesting paper, check it out.
    [quote]

If you deprive an organism of stressors, you affect its epigenetics and gene expression-- some genes are up-regulated (or down-regulated) by contact with the environment.</blockquote>

http://bit.ly/6hPJXw (PDF)

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Thanks for the post.

Comment

Very interesting article SS, thanks for sharing it. Has anyone read The Black swan? I browsed through it briefly at a book store last year and it seemed very interesting but forgot about it completely after that.

Comment

Thanks, SS!

Comment

Great post SS. That&#39;s got a 2010 copyright on it and it&#39;s identified as a "draft version." I presume it&#39;s from a forthcoming work? If so, do you have its title and expected release date?

Comment

np!

Geoff I got the link from here: http://bit.ly/4RbpUU. I would also like to know more about the final version and it&#39;s actual publication.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
            "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

Very interesting--I like the idea that we, as organisms, actually need randomness and variability. Seems we have much to unlearn from the last few decades of CW.

Comment

Some of his books are already on my wishlist: http://bit.ly/6feKST

Comment

Good read, thanks.

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
                  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Comment

SS REALLY enjoyed this article, many thanks

Comment

Great article! Considering that the current model has us evolving to adapt to change itself, it is not surprising that we thrive on change rather than stability.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
                      Current weight: 199
                      Goal: 145

Comment

Loved it! SS, you&#39;re my hero when it comes to great articles/science research. Your links never fail me!

Comment

Well thanks FF. The credit belongs to Chris for posting it in his blog though (http://conditioningresearch.blogspot.com/), I&#39;m sure he would appreciate MDAers paying him a visit in return

Comment

Working...
                          X