Cold weather = faster exhaustion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold weather = faster exhaustion?

It just got cold around here and I stopped by my usual playground for a typical workout, only to find that I maxed out on pretty much everything much faster than normal. Is it the cold?
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Absolutely. It takes energy to stay warm. I almost drown myself in the beginning of the summer trying to swim in the cold May Lake as if it was the warm August lake.

Comment

Oh, thanks for the quick reply. I guess I'll add more sweet potato to my diet to stay warm in the winter. Roots in the winter, right folks?
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

There should always be more sweet potatoes anyway.
        Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
        Follow me on google+
        Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
        "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Comment

Always more? That might not end well!
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
            Always more? That might not end well!
            I've had my best weight loss eating some starchy stuffs.

One week my weight loss was 3 pounds. I think it might have had something to do with my weight training, but I wasn't afraid of sweet potatoes that week.

Just don't be carbophobic, TBH there's a lot of talk about the mythical KETOSIS diet which never worked for me.
            Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
            Follow me on google+
            Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
            "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Comment

Oh, right. No, I don't always stay low carb. I'll do it for a few days, then hit the sweet potatoes again. I love the white and purple ones from the asian/russian market.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

It's pure fat that keeps me warm. Bacon and other forms of pig.
                In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

wear warmer clothes? layer your clothes, take off a layer as you warm up?

Comment

Bundling up sounds worth trying. But my workouts are normally too explosive and short-lived to actually warm up much. I don't start sweating until about the end of it all. But I guess that would be my cue to remove said layer of clothing, huh?
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I actually think the cold makes exercise easier. So much of the circulatory system is used in cooling off the body and shedding heat generated by the mucscles. That being said, it's much easier to shed heat when it's 50F or 20F or colder with low humidity than it is when it's 85F and high humidity. Heart rate will be lower even with much harder effort than when it's hot and humid.

Comment

edit
                        Last edited by Chapstick; 11-13-2011, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chapstick View Post
                          No. Hemoglobin releases more oxygen in higher temperatures, and less oxygen in colder temperatures. In cold temperatures, your muscles aren't getting enough oxygen, so your heart rate increases to compensate.
                          I still don't get it. Maybe it's the activity. I've got 6-years of personal heart rate data logged. Same thing every year. It gets colder, my average run pace gets faster and my average heart rate for the workout is lower. It get's hot with humidity, I run slower and the heart rate is higher.

Comment

edit
                            Last edited by Chapstick; 11-13-2011, 09:43 AM.

Comment

I usually will wear pullover sweater/jacket with sweat pants...apply some tigerbalm or woodlock to warm up the muscles and tendons...when I'm about to break a sweat, then I go out to train.

This seems to help me.
                              Primal (2013)
                              Locavore (locally grown foods when possible)
                              Training consists of Muay Thai, BJJ, weight training, and mountain biking

Would like to be in good shape by my 36th Birthday (07-07-2013)

Comment

Working...
                              X