barefoot/ minimalist boots and keeping feet warm in the north

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• barefoot/ minimalist boots and keeping feet warm in the north

This summer I tried to stay barefoot most of the time. I'd like to continue but I live in Wisconsin. It's fall now and already feel like my feet will get too cold. I have endometriosis and was told by my doctor not to ever let my feet get cold (for pelvic circulation reasons).

For people that go barefoot all year in cold climates, are there tricks to not letting your feet get cold?

I've been looking around for minimalist boots but I really need something that can hold up to lots of snow, long rough walks, etc.

And, on top of that I have a very physical outdoor job where I usually have to where work boots. Are there any good minimalist workboots for women? I'm talking 8" high, vibram soles, all leather boots. My workboots now feel like straightjackets for my feet.

Finally, I'm a goat farmer, and I like my slip on rubber boots for checking livestock. They have a little tiny heal on them. But my feet float freely around inside. How bad are they?

Thanks!

i'm checking out moccasins with a fleece interior. if i can't find some for a reasonable price with thin soles i'll probably make my own
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

Comment

Originally posted by jaye View Post
      This summer I tried to stay barefoot most of the time. I'd like to continue but I live in Wisconsin. It's fall now and already feel like my feet will get too cold. I have endometriosis and was told by my doctor not to ever let my feet get cold (for pelvic circulation reasons).

For people that go barefoot all year in cold climates, are there tricks to not letting your feet get cold?

I've been looking around for minimalist boots but I really need something that can hold up to lots of snow, long rough walks, etc.

And, on top of that I have a very physical outdoor job where I usually have to where work boots. Are there any good minimalist workboots for women? I'm talking 8" high, vibram soles, all leather boots. My workboots now feel like straightjackets for my feet.

Finally, I'm a goat farmer, and I like my slip on rubber boots for checking livestock. They have a little tiny heal on them. But my feet float freely around inside. How bad are they?

Thanks!
      I say throw some wool and or fleece socks and keep wearing your wellingtons!
      Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

Bloodorchid - good suggestion! I suppose you can't go wrong with the original. I had toyed with the idea of making my own - I think I could manage it but the learning curve will be steep and I may not have anything wearable until next winter. But I suppose I could buy my first pair and when they start to fall apart, I could take them apart and use the pieces as a pattern.

Karin - Yes. I think I will keep using my rubber boots for goat chores. By the way, we call them "swampers." I love all the different names for them.

Comment

Originally posted by jaye View Post

Are there any good minimalist workboots for women? I'm talking 8" high, vibram soles, all leather boots.
          vibram actually just came out with a five finger boot (bormio)...all leather, thicker soles, go above the ankles. a pair of good toe socks and those things, and your feet should stay nice and toasty.
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

I live in Wisconsin also and have found that water shoes (like people wear in the pool) work perfectly, provided you look for one that's neoprene rather than mesh. Then, as mentioned, you just put warm socks inside and you're all set. I can't advise on the work boots, unfortunately.

Scuba Diving Boots at Scuba.com this site has some high-top options, might be a place to get ideas at least.

Winter was a whole new thing for me when I started wearing my Teva Proton water shoes instead of my hiking boots, and I'm sure you will feel the same!

Comment

If you want to spend some $$$ here's some options
              OeTZI 3300
              Home*-*Steger Moosehide Mukluks and Moccasins - The warmest winter boots!
              Minimalist Footwear from Russell Moccasin
              http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

I like those vibrams, Roo leather is good stuff.

I plan on making myself some simple buffalo hide moccasins for winter. I would prefer brain tan buckskin, but all I have left is scraps and I still have a lot of buffalo. Since it doesn't get crazy cold in East Texas, they will be simple, but if I lived somewhere colder(and wet) I would go for a fur lined moc, with a fat rubbed in for some water resistance.

Comment

I live in Alaska and wear Steger mukluks in the winter. Moose hide lowers with a crepe sole and a felt liner in a canvas upper. Very warm and very comfortable.

Comment

Another vote for Steger Mukluks. My husband is from Ely (where they are made) and it gets COLD there! Everyone wears them.
                    My Blog: Healthy Living How To
                    sigpic

Comment

I just ordered those softstar pheonix boots. Haven't gotten them in yet.
                      In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Thanks Everyone! So many great suggestions!

Comment

This is my first year with barefoot shoes so I can't speak from experience, but generally unless you are actually planning on being outside a long time (doing an activity as opposed to shuffling from A to B), you should be fine. I haven't worn boots since I was in school, even down to -40C.

This is because the length of time you are willing to spend outside decreases in proportion to how cold it is.

I will say that I have started wearing socks in my Tough Gloves, mostly because it looks weird having my ankles showing with pants and a pea-coat. :/

Comment

Originally posted by Vanessa120 View Post
                            Another vote for Steger Mukluks. My husband is from Ely (where they are made) and it gets COLD there! Everyone wears them.
                            Wow, these look great--don't see any room in the budget for them in the near future, but they will occupy a high position on the wish list for sure....

Comment

^Agreed! Great to hear that they are actually good quality.
                              Depression Lies

Comment

Working...
                              X