Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get an overweight and sedentary 48-year old woman into shape?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow that's sort of an idiotic question no offense. 48 is not really that much different from 30. The PB worked for me. And I would highly recommend barbells if she is willing. Squats, deadlift, bench the whole deal. Makes you feel great, like a whole 'nother level of the "hormonal cascade" wakes up. Truly a fountain of youth.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

What everyone else has said but I would like to add do not get her on the machines.
      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
      PS
      Don't forget to play!

Comment

I run into this situation quite often in my personal training business. Many middle aged women perceive exercise as uncomfortable and a chore. So you need to move them to a place where it is enjoyable. Walking 20 minutes to start with a few slow stretches at the end is a great place to start. Don't worry about speed or distance to start. Just get her in the habit of moving a few days per week. As she becomes more comfortable with movement (2-4) weeks add in a couple body weight exercises (squats, wall pushups) and progress from there.

Get her to focus on how she feels after the bout of exercise. Most people feel better after they have exercised. Focus on the positive feelings. You mentioned she likes swimming. Aqua fitness classes are really a great way to get in some exercise and socialize. Might want to think about that as well.

Kudos to Mom for taking on this change. Kudos to you for helping!

Comment

I am a 48 year old woman and started primal 5 months ago. I do some exercise but often not feel like it for several weeks. But I do gardening, some walking and started horseback riding once per week. Through eating primal I did loose just over 16 kilo in these 5 months though and am almost at my goal weight and feel loads better .
          And remember, doing household chores or walking past/through shops or on a farmers market is also exercise. You can do thing when walking.

So get her dieet good, and find a means of moving that she enjoys, maybe something you can do together.

Comment

Baby steps. Start walking until you feel good. Start lifting things. Not too heavy at first, but work to that. Sounds like you are already enjoying the eating part

It's not rocket science, it just can be tough to stick to when you are the only one you know doing it.
            ----------
            Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.

Comment

Working...
            X