Supplements for Weightlifters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supplements for Weightlifters?

Currently taking a good ratio Omega-3, 4000 iu Vitamin D and ZMA.

Not supplementing with any shakes or additives. Eating PLENTY of protein and fat. I still feel like I could be doing a little better in the Vitamin department, but I've been told that multivitamins are essentially worthless.

Anybody have success with supplements other than those I listed, while weightlifting regularly?
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away.

micronized creatine monohydrate. I stopped taking whey but will take this stuff instead. works.
    Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Comment

you could try a little creatine. but stick to something simple. no need to use anything like cell-tech or anything like that. other than that, NO products are garbage and weight gainer products are just a ton of sugar.

Comment

BCAAs just before lifting can be very helpful, especially if you're training fasted.

Comment

good point timothy. i would actually say that BCAAs are ONLY helpful if you're training fasted.

Comment

I expect you're right, NotR. I've never used them any other way.

Comment

Most people need to fix, in order, these things before worrying about supplementation:

Lifts/sets/reps/weights
              Sleep
              Food
              Stress
              Lifting Journal

Comment

Well I'm training with someone who has been doing it for years and is pretty damn massive for his height, so he must be doing something slightly right. But I'm definitely interested in hearing what you think about reps and weights.

My quality of sleep has improved exponentially since going primal, so not worried about that at all. I'm in Robb Wolf's camp when he says that the right diet and proper sleep is the most anabolic thing on the planet.

Stress? What, me worry??

Comment

I agree with you Apex, but maybe not in the same order. I would put food first. Eat clean and eat a ton. You aren't going to grow or see any sort of reasonable body composition changes until your diet is on point. Then worry about your lifts. Are you doing enough reps/sets/weight? Then make sure you are getting enough rest. Stress is at the bottom. Odds are, most people aren't lifting hard/heavy enough and eating enough to even worry about whether or not sleep and stress are negatively effecting their goals.

Comment

I have (and so have others) seen a large change in body comp and growth. My diet is strictly Primal with shitloads of protein and fat, except for the cursed tequila on weekends.

I train to failure 3 days a week. I typically do 8 reps of every exercise 3 or 4 times. I usually do a combination of 4 lifts/pulls/flies per muscle group. If I can lift something 10 times I go up. By the 3rd or 4th set I almost always need a spot from my buddy. We definitely don't go light.

Comment

what are your goals exactly? i am a bit confused. you basically said that your training is good, your food intake is good, your sleep is good, and your stress levels are good. have you stopped gaining muscle or has your rate slowed? were you new to the weight lifting game? most newbies see pretty decent results for the first year or two, even if they aren't doing everything right. but then things slow down a ton after that. so maybe something is amiss. maybe you aren't eating enough or lifting hard enough or sleeping enough, etc? you know what i'm saying?

Comment

As others have said, the only things you could add are BCAAs and creatine. Everything else is just fluff.
                        If you are worried about vitamins/minerals, just eat offal a couple times per week. I like beef/bison liver and beef/bison heart. I can usually find the bison liver and heart at Whole Foods as "dog food" in the freezer section and it is dirt cheap (like $2/lbs).
                        People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

Sorry, sorta left that out. I was a complete nub when I started training in April. I agree that I have seen such good results BECAUSE I'm a newcomer with arms like wet noodles. Results are there but progress is slow. I may just be a "hardgainer" if there is such a thing. Once I trim away the remainder of my CW-induced fat I will probably look pretty good naked..... actually yes, that's my goal, I want to look great naked, lol.

I'm looking to be cut, not necessarily huge, but lots of muscles never hurt anybody, right? I'm at the point when I want to start focusing on details and supplementation advice at the gym is just typical CW stuff (ZOMG DRINK YOUR CARB SHAKE AFTER EVERY SET). Mark recommends eating about a gram of protein for each pound of lean mass, does that gel with you all?

Comment

Originally posted by shiggles View Post
                            Sorry, sorta left that out. I was a complete nub when I started training in April. I agree that I have seen such good results BECAUSE I'm a newcomer with arms like wet noodles. Results are there but progress is slow. I may just be a "hardgainer" if there is such a thing. Once I trim away the remainder of my CW-induced fat I will probably look pretty good naked..... actually yes, that's my goal, I want to look great naked, lol.

I'm looking to be cut, not necessarily huge, but lots of muscles never hurt anybody, right? I'm at the point when I want to start focusing on details and supplementation advice at the gym is just typical CW stuff (ZOMG DRINK YOUR CARB SHAKE AFTER EVERY SET). Mark recommends eating about a gram of protein for each pound of lean mass, does that gel with you all?
                            LOL at wet noodles! I had those too. But don't worry, your genes want you to be strong, and they will take you there when you give them what you need.

Lots of muscles are a very good thing. They will definitely help you get cut by improving your hormonal profile. But much more than that, having extra muscle tissue makes your whole body work better. We tend to think of adipose tissue as the body's energy stores, but it's more of a dumping ground. In truth, muscle tissue with intramuscular fat represents your best store of energy and nutrition. The more, the merrier, in a way that is hard to imagine if you've never had a lot.

Yes, you'll definitely want 1g/lb of lean mass as a daily average (possibly more depending on who you ask). If you stick to whole food sources, this is probably more than you're used to. But chewing that much protein is a skill like any other and well worth pursuing.

Comment

If you want to add mass, you need 1/g per lb of bodyweight, not lean body mass.

Also, if you can do 8 reps, you're not lifting heavy enough. 3-5 reps should be your target zone and if you can do 5 easily, you should add more weight.

Comment

Working...
                              X