Crunchy Knee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crunchy Knee

So, my girlfriend convinced me to go primal. So far, so good; been going for the diet for about a month, and just starting to work in some exercise.

I'm about 220 lbs, 6'8", and my right knee crackles whenever I put weight on it while bent; squatting, sitting, climbing stairs, whatever.

Question: think it'll get better? Worse? Go easy at first?

Suggestions are welcome. :-)

Tall...Go easy at first to build strength in your quads/hamstrings. How old are you? Have you had any issues with it prior/surgeries? I ask only because I'm 45 and had surgery on mine, and occassionally it gives me the rice crispy treatment. However, I will say that since going primal, alot of the issues cleared up pretty quicky...Grok On!
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Comment

Mine don't crunch anymore and they did for about 10 years. I just now noticed it. Holy shit.
      People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

From what I've heard, provided there's no pain, it's normal in the beginning. It should reduce as your strength improves.

Comment

How old are you?
          I went to the doctor for crunchy knees that occasionally felt a little bit of discomfort and he told me I had some condition (I can't remember what the hell the proper name was) that was pretty common among tall men in their twenties/maybe early thirties. According to him, completely harmless. That being said, that was MY diagnosis and it's always best to check in with a doctor. I still make sure to keep good form and back off if I feel the slightest beginnings of discomfort. Good luck!

Comment

OMG, mine don't crunch anymore either! I don't know of it's the diet, the squats, or what. Holy cow.
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

The crunchy knee sensation is known as crepitus. It's inflammation/ irritation of the knee cartilage. I had it for years - marching band in high school irritated it a lot. I've been eating paleo for five months now and training with kettlebells - it's completely gone. The primal/paleo diet is anti-inflammatory, so with time I think your situation will improve. Also, you're training so you're building strength. If it becomes bothersome, definitely seek a doctor and physical therapy.
              Visit my blog Primal Homeskillet. And eat it too.

Comment

Ah, same problem here, though it's improved much since going primal and starting weight lifting.

Comment

Mine still crunch, well one of them. Mostly notice it when I'm going up stairs. No pain, just noise. I've been eating Primal for over two years and if anything it's more noticable lately. Maybe I need to correct my form on squats or something.

Comment

Mine used to crick and crack when I squat down, but it has gone down a lot lately.

Comment

Good to know!

I'm 35; was really hoping this might clear up, as sitting on my tuckus and resting it only seems to make things worse. I used to be a speedskater, many years ago, and figured that might have done a number on it.

Thanks, all!

Comment

My friend you are 6'8" I am 6'7" with cracky knees since the 7th grade. We have something in common.

For me when i hit my growth spurt and skyrocketed the growth plates around my knees grew at differnt rates. As a result my knee caps glide insted of vertical at a slight angle thus irritating the tissue behind it. This was painful.

Long story short I gave up football and wrestling because of the pain. Started powerlifting and as soon as the muscle built up in my knees no more pain and minimal cracking.

I would bet your knee caps glide at a slight angle too.. Strengthen my friend
                        Cheers

Comment

Going for a moderate bike ride stops my crunch for a good 3 days

Comment

Stoked to have read this thread. I'm 31 and have recently noticed really crunchy knees during squats after coming back to weight training after a couple of years couch-surfing and eating my bodyweight in smiths chips on a regular basis. Fingers crossed I can kill the crunch too!!

Comment

Originally posted by talldean View Post
                              So, my girlfriend convinced me to go primal. So far, so good; been going for the diet for about a month, and just starting to work in some exercise.

I'm about 220 lbs, 6'8", and my right knee crackles whenever I put weight on it while bent; squatting, sitting, climbing stairs, whatever.

Question: think it'll get better? Worse? Go easy at first?

Suggestions are welcome. :-)
                              Sounds like crepitus. It will get worse, but is generally zero impact, does it hurt or cause locking? If so, see a doc.
                              My Fitday public journal.
                              Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
                              Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
                              Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

Working...
                              X