Could you run a marathon in Vibrams?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could you run a marathon in Vibrams?

Well, I have set a goal for myself to run in the NYC marathon by the time i'm 34.. I WILL DO IT.. Do you think its ok to run it in vibrams?
    I wear them all the time to walk, (have even taken like 10 mile walks in them) with no problems..
    I don't suffer back pain, or joint pain.. so would it be safe to train in them?

I just ran the Air Force Half Marathon last weekend, and there were tons of Vibram-clad runners in both the full and the half. Not me, though, so I can't speak personally, but I ran with and past lots of "barefoot" runners.

Comment

oh I wanted to add that im 31.. lol

Comment

Just be careful and get acclimated to VFF's.

I've had mine for over a year using them for walking, running,and sprints but lately have been experiencing plantar facitiis my docs X-rays revealed a 2mm bone spur on my left heel. So, I won't be using anymore until I heal, just cushioned running trail shoes for me and I'm 45yo. I'm also a heel striker.....

Good luck!
        During breakfast today, Abby asks, "How would this juicy, fat, sweet blackberry taste on top of my bacon?" I said it would taste BerrySwine...;-P

Comment

This guy ran the NYC marathon in vibrams...and a banana costume!

Anything is possible!
          "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

Most of the really fast Kenyans train barefoot.

Comment

My partner is running his first full marathon in his VFFs coming up. The key for him has been to do his training in them so he's used to doing the mileage with the Vibrams.
              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyfan7 View Post
                Most of the really fast Kenyans train barefoot.
                Probably not on pavement though. A little cushion couldn't hurt.

Comment

Abebe Bikila, at 1960 Summer Olympics. His feet bare.

Darmok and Jalad, at Tanagra.
                  You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I have been walking and hkiking in my vibrams full time for nearly a year now, walking an hour a day almost every day and 3 hour hikes on the weekend, and I do all my sprints in barefeet.

Just recently I started training for a half marathon, my endurance would be fine, but I hadn't done any running other than sprints. I decided to build ups slowly, 2k, 4k 6k runs. After running 2k for the first time my achilles hurt a lot. Next run 2 days later it wan't too bad. Then to 4k and again it started to hurt a lot, but on the second 4k not to bad. Same deal for 6k. At that point I knew I could run the half marathon, but not in vibrams, trying would wreck my achilles. I simply don't have time left to prpare my legs to run in vibrams, so for this one I'll be in conventional running shoes, when its over I'll swap back to running in vibrams to train and stretch my achilles more (back to where it should be, had I not spent 22 years of my life in conventional shoes).

Moral of the story, do a distance run first and see how your legs take it, if your in pain part way through then you probably shouldn't run in vibrams. If not, go for gold and have fun.
                    www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

Comment

Originally posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
                      This guy ran the NYC marathon in vibrams...and a banana costume!

Anything is possible!
                      I'm guessing the banana costume made all the difference for him.

Comment

Originally posted by jpatrickclark View Post
                        I'm guessing the banana costume made all the difference for him.
                        Well you know what he did at the end.
                        Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                          Darmok and Jalad, at Tanagra.
                          Sometimes I think that if you weren't so young and hot you'd be my soul mate.
                          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Banana man doesn't seem to be running right with those VFF's. I thought the whole idea in running barefoot was so you weren't almost forced to heal strike and instead land on the front of your foot and letting your legs ease into landing by having your calves abosrb the shock when you land. At least, that's how I walk and run when I'm barefoot.

Comment

+1 to that. Dude who keeps on about running with VFFs and getting bone spurs and oh by the way heel striker: the whole point of barefoot running is to NOT heel strike... no?

So my two cents about the barefoot marathon and training for it:
                              I started barefoot running in May, running only 1 mile per week for a good few weeks. I worked up to running 2 miles at a go, then 3 miles about 2-3 times a week. Now I'm up to half-marathon distance in my VFFs, on packed gravel roads (thus I can't speak for the full-asphalt situation). I listened to my calves in terms of this training; if I'd have pushed it any quicker than this, they'd have been wrecked, and I had plenty of 1-day DOMS experiences where they made me VERY aware that I'd worked them hard. I did a lot of alternative barefoot training in between (bodyweight interval training) which I strongly feel helped me get fit FOR running without actually having to constantly run. I think this is probably a pretty good approach for marathon training as well.

Having said that, I did do a marathon about 4 years ago, in my CW-orthotic-anti-shin-splint-super-cushioned-anti-pronation shoes, and I resolved to never do one again, at the time. It was hell on my body - I was constantly trying to keep to a chronic cardio training schedule, and I screwed it up at my peak distance by spraining and ankle and having to just keep off my feet altogether rather than tapering, and during the race itself I made parts of my body hurt that I'd never even been aware of. (My SPINE actually hurt afterward.) The training I was advised to do for it was definitely not PB-friendly and if someone had seen me doing it barefoot I probably would have been incredulously arrested. Now, having put a bit of time between me and that experience, I'm a bit tempted again - but now having been made aware of Primal-style fitness, I would totally ignore the conventional training plans for marathon.

If it were me, in my VFFs, I would run about 4 miles twice a week and do some kind of short (<20 minutes) full-body interval training 5 times a week (including lots of lifting heavy things and playing around). Once a week, or maybe even once every two or three weeks if that's how I was feeling, I'd run an increasing distance (working up to about 21 miles would be what I would personally shoot for). I would intersperse this with lots of all-day, non-distance-conscious, strenuous mountain hiking so that I got the experience of being on my feet and barefoot and working hard for hours and hours.

Just my instincts, though. Good luck to you!

Comment

Working...
                              X