Rock climbing is awesome.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock climbing is awesome.

On a whim, I stopped by the rock wall at my gym for "ladies night", free climbs for the ladiez. I was nervous strapping into the harnass. I feel fit, but had never thought of myself as strong.

On my first try, I made it to the top and slapped the top of the rock.The staff member that belayed me said I was fast and sure, a real natural. It was something so different than what I usually am drawn to, so meditative and slow, a little scary. I loved it, and am going to make it a regular thing.

Any tips for a beginner? I do my push-ups, but would love any advice I can get. I do know I had a problem with the closer holds. I'm tall, and grabbing close made me feel too far from the wall. I'd appreciate any tips to speed my progress.

rocking climbing is awesome, I also went for the first time just recently.

I left my session feeling like I needed to do alot of grip and upper body work. My legs were pretty solid support, although those shoes I had to wear were on the crazy side of uncomfortable. I think the simplest exercise that would yield the best results for climbing performance would be chin/pull ups. I've been trying to do more of them, even though they are still very difficult for me.

But I'm still looking forward to going back and giving the harder walls another try!

Comment

Grip strength. The pull ups I'd been doing sure paid off, too, so I'd recommend those, or some progression thereof. I'm working toward a muscle up!

Comment

Originally posted by darthgall View Post
        Grip strength. The pull ups I'd been doing sure paid off, too, so I'd recommend those, or some progression thereof. I'm working toward a muscle up!
        What's a muscle up? It sounds.....intimidating.

Comment

A muscle up should really be called a waist up, honestly. Instead of getting just your chin above the bar the goal is to do that then get your whole torso over the bar as well. Intimidating is a very good word for it.

Comment

Timely topic, since I'm going to be hitting the rock wall for the first time in 8 years later this afternoon. My advice for newbies:

1. Use your legs, try to focus on pushing with them as opposed to pulling with your upper body. Since, my grip and arms give out a lot faster than my legs, the same as most others. Most guys default to pulling, so I've had to consciously work around it.
            2. Stay close to the wall. Again, this helps with not stressing out your grip as much, since the closer to the wall you are, the more tension/force can be taken by your legs.
            turquoisepassion - I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS

Comment

You do realise your life has just changed forever? You existence will become one of nuts and hexes, stitch plates and the stickiness of rubber coatings on rock shoes. You will become fitter and stronger than you ever thought possible. Endless discussions of grades and lines and whether trad or sport is best.

And you will meet some of the coolest most laid back and yet unbelievably focussed people on the planet. Ignore the poseurs, they will disappear soon enough.

tips: take the time to develop your strength, get the smallest pair of rock boots you can wear for three hours and find a good belay partner.
              Our own life is the instrument with which we experiment with the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by diploid View Post
                You do realise your life has just changed forever? You existence will become one of nuts and hexes, stitch plates and the stickiness of rubber coatings on rock shoes. You will become fitter and stronger than you ever thought possible. Endless discussions of grades and lines and whether trad or sport is best.

And you will meet some of the coolest most laid back and yet unbelievably focussed people on the planet. Ignore the poseurs, they will disappear soon enough.

tips: take the time to develop your strength, get the smallest pair of rock boots you can wear for three hours and find a good belay partner.
                Haha so insanely true! I was hooked the first time I climbed.

For noobs, to get stronger I would recommend...climbing. Really, you can do pushups and pullups and all that too, but climbing is training in itself. Especially with the technical aspect--there really is no sport as technical as climbing. Stick to ropes for now and build up some endurance and technique, and once you're a bit stronger maybe try bouldering (the good stuff!) to build some gnarly strength. I know some people get injured more easily if they jump right into bouldering though!

But yes, if you are really a climber, then your life definitely has changed forever. I know mine has! You will soon speak a totally different language and have a new obsession--both of which will just confuse and exhaust everyone else haha.
                "The mountains are calling and I must go."
                --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
                --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
                --Hyperlithic

Comment

i'm definitely into the bouldering. i don't get to do it often, but it's fun. there's some nice rocks down by the beach that are fun to use.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                    i'm definitely into the bouldering. i don't get to do it often, but it's fun. there's some nice rocks down by the beach that are fun to use.
                    Use Mountain Project, you can look up any established climbing in your area that way. New Zealand seems like it would have a ton of rock...at least that's what I thought while watching Lord of the Rings the other day
                    --John Muir

--Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
                    --Hyperlithic

Comment

i don't think one really needs an "established climbing area" so much as i have free time, i go out with my kid, we climb on rocks. i think that equals rock climbing. LOL

there is a gym, and lots of places people go, but i really don't ahve the money for the gym or the time to 'go' anywhere other than where i am.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. This does seem like a sport that's not meant for dabblers. I might have a problem here though: I just moved to this area, and I know no one to climb with. I'll work it out, but at the moment, I'm considering putting an ad on craigslist.

Also, do I need shoes right away?

Comment

no, not really. yu can rent shoes.

also, just put up an ad at the rock gym. you'll find someone.

Comment

Originally posted by tallglassome View Post
                            Thanks for the tips. This does seem like a sport that's not meant for dabblers. I might have a problem here though: I just moved to this area, and I know no one to climb with. I'll work it out, but at the moment, I'm considering putting an ad on craigslist.

Also, do I need shoes right away?

Again...Mountain Project. You can find climbing partners there as well as gear and areas to climb.

Mountain Project - Rock Climbing Beyond the Guidebook
                            --John Muir

--Tommy Caldwell

--Hyperlithic

Comment

I have gone climbing once or twice with my mates and I will 2nd that it is difficult to consciously force yourself to use your legs. However, as it is something I just do intermittently (becasue heights scare the life out of me) I don't mind too much that I revert to pulling, as it really builds up the lacking strength in my fingers and forearms

Seems like a good sport though and some of my mates are really into it now. I just have other inetrests that I prefer

Comment

Working...
                              X