Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So question--I've got arthritis and not much cartilage...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So question--I've got arthritis and not much cartilage...

I do some Yoga and some isometrics, but the sprint isn't going to happen in this lifetime. (I miss it, but there you are.) I lift very light weights, but that's it...any suggestions?

I'm female, 68, and have done Paleo before, loved it, so the diet is no problem!
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

kate,

Read the book, Wheat Belly by Cardiologist Wm Davis. He blames wheat for all joint pain.
    Low Carb Age Wheat Belly Book Review Low Carb Age

Grizz

Comment

Thanks, Grizz, I'll look it up! I've been off all wheat and other grains for a month now, still hurts like crazy...I wonder if it's reversible.
      Best--
      Kate

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Comment

Milk flares mine almost instantly. I quit grains and tried dairy and got slammed.

Comment

According the the Xrays of my knees, there's pretty much only shreds of cartilage left...oddly since I went on Primal, even tomatoes don't seem to cause a problem, and they used to. Haven't noticed any difference with dairy, I'll watch that though, thanks.
          Best--
          Kate

Comment

I'm a woman, 54, with bone on bone arthritis of the left knee and moderate OA in my right hand. Three years ago I was on Rx anti-inflammatories and pain meds to control the pain. Today, I am relatively pain free, can walk several miles, and sprint.

Giving up grains and sugar was the final piece of the puzzle for me. I also had to optimize the following:
            1. Vitamin D
            2. Ferritin
            3. Thyroid hormones
            4. Female hormones, specifically estradiol.

How's your inflammation? Have you had hc-CRP tested to see where you level of inflammation is?

Comment

No, haven't had hc-CRP, can my regular GP do that? I'm doing lots more vitamin D, no idea what Ferritin is! Thanks...
              Best--
              Kate

Comment

Originally posted by Kate Ruckman View Post
                No, haven't had hc-CRP, can my regular GP do that? I'm doing lots more vitamin D, no idea what Ferritin is! Thanks...
                Yes your GP can order a hc-CRP. Ferritin is the measure of stored iron. Ferritin levels often drop long before other anemia markers do-hemoglobin, hematocrit.

Comment

In the meantime, I gave my mom some Peaceful Mountain Joint Rescue Gel last week and she is bowled over with how well it is helping her arthritis pain right now. She just had me order 3 more bottles! You may want to give it a try. Sorry I don't have any exercise ideas for you.

Peaceful Mountain Joint Rescue Gel -- 3.5 oz - Vitacost

Comment

I just had a blood test 3 weeks ago, wonder if it would have shown up if I didn't specifically request it...
                    Best--
                    Kate

Comment

Thanks for the link--we normally use horse liniment (yep!) but I'll try this!
                      Best--
                      Kate

Comment

for sprints, i would recommend doing it in a pool. You can do all kinds of sprints in a pool -- various strokes, working on increasing your time, less rest between laps, etc. I usually did mine in 50s and 100s, sometimes a 200 or 500, and then decreased the amount of rest between each distance.

i love swimming, and it's keeps you from having too much trouble with the joints.

Comment

Working...
                        X