video games and muscle growth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• video games and muscle growth

I've often wondered if playing video games would interfere with muscle growth.

Does intellectually taxing work, like intense, competitive multiplayer gaming, interfere with the body's ability to adapt to lifting heavy loads? Would it suck brain energy away from adapting to physical training or are the two unrelated?

I would say the "stress" could effect muscle recovery for sure.

I would guess that going to bed every night at 3:00am with adrenalin and cortisol coursing through your veins, muscle recovery would be hamperred and growth nearly ziltch. Maybe it would not be as bad at the age of 16 than at the age of 36 though.
    Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

I'm sure you're not being entirely serious. If you are, read up on exercise science! Anyway, play as many games as you like, obviously. It doesn't suck away energy nor does it cause a significant stress to your body. Chima_p is right though, all-nighter COD sessions will bugger you up rapidly.
      The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
      Blog
      sigpic

Comment

Yea, maybe I should read up on that exercise science.

I don't game to excess nor do I stay up late, but I do wonder if putting my gaming on hold while I am training would be beneficial.

Comment

Ahhhh COD... great way to destress after a long day if you ask me.

Comment

Gamers aren't exactly known for their athleticism - that's some pretty strong empirical evidence.
            Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
            Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
            The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
            Brute Force Sandbags
            www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
            http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Gaming should be better than most activities involving sitting down and staring at a screen for hours. It's more fun than work, and usually less stressful too.

Plenty of people have managed to bulk up while also doing very mentally challenging jobs. There's nothing to worry about in that respect.
              "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
                Gamers aren't exactly known for their athleticism - that's some pretty strong empirical evidence.
                That has nothing to do with the act of playing a game, and everything to do with the lifestyle that usually accompanies being a gamer.

That said... being active and working out, then sitting down for a couple hours to play a game isn't good for you. It causes the hip flexors and lower back to recover in the seated position, which goes against the whole point of working on those musles. So just stand up when you play games and you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Xibit View Post
                  That said... being active and working out, then sitting down for a couple hours to play a game isn't good for you. It causes the hip flexors and lower back to recover in the seated position, which goes against the whole point of working on those musles. So just stand up when you play games and you'll be fine.
                  Source? Never heard of this before but it doesn't sound nonsensical.

Comment

World of Warcraft has been known to inhibit muscle growth, seeing as it can be quite addictive and thus preventing the player from actually going to the gym (speaking from experience)...
                    Norak's Primal Journal:
                    2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
                    2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
                    2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Comment

Originally posted by Pandadude View Post
                      Source? Never heard of this before but it doesn't sound nonsensical.
                      Sitting is Killing You This doesn't address that specific point, but you can probably find more about that at Mobility WOD or something similar.
                      Last edited by jfreaksho; 09-09-2011, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
                        Sitting is Killing You This doesn't address that specific point, but you can probably find more about that at Mobility WOD or something similar.
                        No it doesn't say anything about the hip flexors and lower back after exercise. Anyways while I agree sitting is bad that link is exaggerated like:
                        "Between 1980 and 2000 exercise rates stayed the same, sitting time increased by 8% and obesity doubled" as if an 8% increase in sitting doubled obesity levels lol. Obviously other factors at play such as low fat campaigns and decreasing food quality.

Comment

I almost can't believe we're having this discussion. I mean, Justin, AC and Brent from 70sBig are all massively into Starcraft and are fitter than 95% of the people on here.
                          The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
                          Blog
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X