Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

old tire for a dragging sled - heck of a lower body workout!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old tire for a dragging sled - heck of a lower body workout!

i built a sled today out of an old tire. i put a piece of plywood down inside the bottom and attached a U hook through the side of the tire to hook up the tow strap which i got from harbor freight. i put some foam padding around the tow strap where it wraps around my body

i put my duffel bag sandbag with 150lbs of sand on the sled and proceeded to drag it up and down my driveway about 4 times, around 400 feet total. my legs are on fire and my neighbors think im crazy. i think next time ill take it to this big parking lot by house

anybody else use a tire or other type of dragging sled? what kind of workout do you do?
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

I build exactly what your describing. Here a link to my one for people who like pictures.

They are great for a quick leg workout, only need 5 to 10 minutes for it to destroy your legs. I find 50m sprints forwards and backwards to be great. Ross Eminent also suggests bent-over drags, forward and backward ankle drags and all sorts of different pulling (eg curls, hand over hand etc.)
    www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

Comment

yep nearly identical to that except i used a tow strap instead of a rope

3 Ton 15 Ft. Tow Strap
      Primal Chaos
      37yo 6'5"
      current 338lbs 49" waist
      goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post
        yep nearly identical to that except i used a tow strap instead of a rope

3 Ton 15 Ft. Tow Strap
        I very nearly got the same strap, but the rope was me economical for me (poor grad student).

Be strong to be useful

Comment

lol well i got it on sale and used a 20% coupon, plus got a free digital multimeter!
          Primal Chaos
          37yo 6'5"
          current 338lbs 49" waist
          goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

This reminds me of high school track where our coach had huge tractor tires with ropes we had to harness to and drag for sprints. I totally forgot about that. They tied ropes to a tractor tire then to a bicycle inner tube, making the tube almost like a backpack strap. Those tires were heavy.
            Success is getting what you want, Happiness is wanting what you get~Brother Dave Gardner

Comment

you can also use a flat bottomed snow sled (the plastic kind) on grass. I load mine with 200 lbs and just go, and it's amazing how quickly it fries my legs.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Reena View Post
                you can also use a flat bottomed snow sled (the plastic kind) on grass. I load mine with 200 lbs and just go, and it's amazing how quickly it fries my legs.
                I concidered the snow sled, but thought I would get more fiction with less weight using the tire, and when it comes down to it thats all the really matters.

Be strong to be useful

Comment

Don't have one due to space constraints, but they are fantastic...
                  Lifting Journal

Comment

here is some pictures of the sled i made

and here is where i worked out today

i dragged the sled to the 2nd pole and back once with just the tire to warm up then i went twice there and back with 75lbs in the duffel bag and then i did 1 time around the 1st pole and back with 150lbs.

according to my cars odometer it is about 4/10s of a mile total!
                    Primal Chaos
                    37yo 6'5"
                    current 338lbs 49" waist
                    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Working...
                    X