Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dunking a basketball

how can i be primal and slam dunk?

does doing deep squats increase vertical?

plyometrics. weighted plyometrics. and more plyometrics.

can you palm a baskettball? that's usually a good place to start. how close are you now? can you touch the rim? hang on the rim? dunk a tennis ball?

Comment

Build strength to start. Squatting down and coming back up slowly will build the strength that will lead to the jumping ability without quite so much of the problems of "jumper's knee" that you might see.

Plyometrics (for me) are often a little harder on my joints than I'd like- clapping pushups jolt my shoulders in a not-very-nice way- and I've quit doing them on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by dado View Post
        how can i be primal and slam dunk?

does doing deep squats increase vertical?
        Flexibility

P90X, Insanity and Similar Nonsense | Drew Baye's High Intensity Training
        Plyometrics are incredibly stupid. They are relatively ineffective for building strength, unnecessary for developing speed or explosiveness or improving rate of force development, and carry a very high risk of injury. They have no place in any training program.
        What you should be doing instead: If you want to develop speed or explosiveness simply focus on getting stronger. All these different things are expressions of strength, rather than different types as some people believe. You don’t need to train one way for “maximum strength”, another for “speed strength” another for “explosive strength” or any of the other types these people come up with to make their programs more complex and scientific sounding than they need to be.

Comment

really js290? so you are going to say that the best way to learn how to jump higher is to practice everything except jumping? because it "carries a very high risk of injury?" if you want to get better at something, start by practicing it

I wasn't suggesting that the OP runs out and buys P90x or whatever else

Dado,
          I just found this on the diesel crew site. It pulls some videos from Eric Cressey and Joe DeFranco. A couple of guys who know a thing or two about training athletes. There are also a few videos of suggested exercises. Good luck

http://www.dieselcrew.com/how-to-increase-vertical-jump
          Last edited by not on the rug; 09-06-2011, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
            so you are going to say that the best way to learn how to jump higher is to practice everything except jumping?
            Where did I say anything of the sort?

Comment

what are you suggesting to dado? you linked a quote from an article that was specific to the p90x/insanity programs. the first line of which was "Plyometrics are incredibly stupid."

Comment

the first line of which was "Plyometrics are incredibly stupid."
                You're the one associating plyometics with the skill of jumping. There's certainly plyometic aspects of jumping, but I'm not convinced just doing plyo's will help one's ability to jump.

Comment

um....jumping is a plyometric movement. forget the association you have with p90x/insanity, etc... look at the definition of the word plyometrics.

i wasn't suggesting that using p90x/insanity would make him a better jumper. i was suggesting that JUMPING and doing different variations of jumps would make him a better jumper.

again, what are YOU suggesting instead of plyometric movements? Because you have posted 3 responses on this thread so far, and still haven't answered his question.

Comment

Interesting stuff.

I can palm a basketball and I can touch rim. But I'm 6'3" and have been a weakling most of my life. Right now I'm deep squatting and getting close to 200 lbs, so my strength is improving.

I like the response about just building strength, because it works everything at the same time, but how accurate is this? If I can squat 300 lbs on my frame, will I be able to dunk? It's tough to say.

I'm wondering if I will have to include specific plyometric work, something I would rather avoid if possible.

Comment

if you can palm a ball and touch the rim, you're not too far away. i would continue training overall strength, squatting as deep as possible, and doing weighted lunges and split squats as well. as you gain overall strength, you will be able to move your body quicker. this should result in an increased vertical leap. will that be enough? i'm not sure. but i would definitely employ some basic jump training in to the mix. box jumps are great, and even bodyweight squats where you squat deep and then explode upwards jumping as high as you can. to attain results in an explosive movement (jumping) you should definitely employ some sort of explosive training. i'm a bit confused as to why you would like to avoid plyometric work to train for a plyometric movement. are you trying to dunk a ball to impress a girl or win a bet or something?

Comment

if you can palm a ball and touch the rim, you're not too far away. i would continue training overall strength, squatting as deep as possible, and doing weighted lunges and split squats as well. as you gain overall strength, you will be able to move your body quicker. this should result in an increased vertical leap. will that be enough? i'm not sure. but i would definitely employ some basic jump training in to the mix. box jumps are great, and even bodyweight squats where you squat deep and then explode upwards jumping as high as you can. to attain results in an explosive movement (jumping) you should definitely employ some sort of explosive training. i'm a bit confused as to why you would like to avoid plyometric work to train for a plyometric movement. are you trying to dunk a ball to impress a girl or win a bet or something?
                        Because I don't know much about it, and the image in my brain of plyometrics is setting up cones and doing crazy stuff like that. I'm not with the cones, man.

Box jumps are cool and I can easily add those, and everything else you listed is pretty straight forward. Like you said, I must not be far away, so I am hoping my strength training and some box jumps will be enough to get me over the hurdle.

Comment

i hear ya man... i'm not really about setting up cones either.

we tend to work box jumps in to our workouts once a week, and also i have a stone wall on my property that varies in height and we jump up on to that too. we like to do that stuff on sprint day. other than that, i just stick to squats/front squats, lunges and split squats as my big 3 for leg work.

you're probably pretty close already, and if you can palm the ball, you just need to get it up and over the rim. once you can get to the point of jumping up and hanging on the rim with 2 hands, you should be just about there. good luck

Comment

update, i was able to put palm on rim, could have grabbed, but this rim is a little slanted. but it felt good, will keep squatting. i did FEEL like i had more jumping power though, so this is good.

Comment

very cool

Comment

Working...
                              X