Pullups. How to start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pullups. How to start

So I am starting this SimpleFit.org program. It is pretty intense but I cannot yet do a pullup.

During the Level 1 Day 1 workout for simple fit you do 1 Pullup, 2 Pushups, and 3 Squats for 20 minutes you try to get as many rounds of this in as possible.
    To replace the pull ups I am doing a modified version (hold on to bar, jump up and hold chin above bar for 2 seconds, then count to 4 to let down). The simple fit program says to count 3 of these as 1 pull up.

So basically for day 1 I am doing 3 modified pullups, 2 pushups, and 3 squats per round.

Day 2 is 2 pullups, 6 pushups, and 10 squats for 5 rounds as fast as possible
    Day 3 is 10 Pullups, 21 pushups, and 21 squats for 1 round as fast as possible

My question is do you think this is enough to help me gain the strength to start doing real pullups or should I try this other program first (50 pullups programme - Do you want to do 50 pullups) or would I be overtraining if I do both.

On 50pullups.com if you cannot do pullups they start you off with a program where you do the same modified pullup I described earlier but you do 1 set of 2, 1 set of 7 then 2 set of 5 then finish day 1 with 1 set of 7. This progresses throughout 6 day cycle which take 2 weeks to complete one 6 day cycle.
    I want to know if this schedule could be considered overtraining or if this is even a good idea. I really need to be able to do pullups.

Monday: Day 1 Level 1 Simplefit
    Tuesday: Day 1 Level 1 50pullups.com
    Wednesday: Day 2 Level 1 Simplefit
    Thursday: Day 2 Level 1 50pullups.com
    Friday: Day 3 Level 1 Simplefit
    Saturday Day 3 Level 1 50pullups.com

Thanks
    Colby

Pre Primal
    January 2010
    215 LBS 40 in waist

Today
    170 LBS 36 in waist
    Goal (1) Look Great Naked (and visible abs)
    Goal (2) More defined muscles and functional strength
    Goal (3) Achieving Mastery level in Convict Conditioning

you can easily do both without over training. and if you do get to the point where you are training too much, you'll notice fatigue when you are not working out.

do you have an indoor pull up bar? if so, it's ok to do more than those programs. put your bar in a place you pass frequently (perhaps near the bathroom or kitchen) and do a pull up or variation every time you walk by. you'll be activating those muscles more, but not to the point where you will need any extra rest or be sore. it's a great way to build up that strength.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

im starting simplefit (hopefully today) as well and cant do an unassisted pullup. i plan on doing the 3 assisted substitution pullups. i think that as you progress with the program you will start to gain strength and eventually be able to do them unassisted.

if you add up the totals that youll be doing on simplefit even at level 1 i think youll see that you are doing a ton of assisted pullups

day 1 say you can do 20 rounds, thats 60 assisted pullups in 20 minutes
      day 2 youll do 30
      day 3 will also be 30

120 pullups a week assisted or not is going to really work you hard!

now add all the ones you want to do for the other program, thats a TON of pullups!
      Primal Chaos
      37yo 6'5"
      6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
      current 338lbs 49" waist
      goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Here's some more info on learning to do a pull-up. Keep at it!
        "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

Pull Up Bar is inside but it is bulky and cant be moved. Im really limited on space, I live in a trailer. This is the reason why I am transitioning over to bodyweight.
          I never thought I was really strong but I figured I was somewhat while I was lifting weights, but body weight exercises make me realize that I am not that strong at all. I mean I can't even do a pull up without assistance.

I did level 1 last night and I am sore, so I wasnt sure if I should do level 1 pullups. Not sure if I am sore from doing PBF tuesday and simplefit yesterday. I think I should just take a break today and maybe just walk the dog for about 20 or 30 mins.

The simplefit program is pretty tough though.

I am hoping it will get me in shape enough to be able to do a few unassisted pullups.
          Colby

Pre Primal
          January 2010
          215 LBS 40 in waist

Today
          170 LBS 36 in waist

Comment

I wouldn't worry about too much about whether or not you're completing a pull up so long as you're engaging all the muscles required to do the work in the program. I would experiment with adding the 50 pullups program as you described but pay attention to your effort level to check if you are over training. If there's a noticeable difference in the amount of effort it takes for you to do your modified pull up (ie harder time lowering yourself), then you are doing too much and I would advise giving your pull up muscles a chance to recuperate. As a side note, in my humble opinion, I enjoy simplicity so I would stick to one program until I feel a level of confidence or boredom and then move on to modifying it. But that's just me.

As far as pull ups go, if you are having problems with doing a full pull up, I would much rather try these two variations before your modified version:

1) partials (go half way down then up, count 2 of these as 1)
            2) different grip

Lastly, I read one of your earlier posts and you mentioned your goal of going down in bodyfat. I think the simplefit program alone will help you achieve that, regardless of the type of pull up you do or whether or not you can do a "real" pull up so I wouldn't get hung up on it.
            Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Comment

Thanks pacificBeef. I will try the partials but I can feel my muscles really sore from doing the modified version I did last night.
              18 rounds=18 pullups=54 modified pullups
              Pretty sore from that.

I guess Im just wanting to do pullups without modifying so bad that I want to do whatever it takes to be able to do not just one pull up but multiple pull ups.
              Colby

Pre Primal
              January 2010
              215 LBS 40 in waist

Today
              170 LBS 36 in waist

Comment

If you are also trying to lose a substantial amount of weight, you won't progress as fast as if you are starting from a lean weight and good fitness. In January, I couldn't do 1 pullup and was quite a bit overweight. I started doing reverse/assisted pullups, chinups, and lots of pushups. Now, 9 mo later, I'm 35lbs lighter, can do 10-15 really good pullups and 15-25 chinups. I think if i was eating better to gain muscle, I could do even more, but low-carbing and big gains don't go together for me. I think after I lose a few more lbs, I may start a program for building strength with more carbs in it.

Comment

finished my day 1 of simplefit, i did 3 austrailian pull ups for substitution. i managed 18 rounds.... barely!
                  Primal Chaos
                  37yo 6'5"
                  current 338lbs 49" waist
                  goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

7 Weeks to 50 Pull-Ups | Official Site I think this fifty pullups program might be better for beginners. If you go to " the program" on the left menu, you can download the free pocket workout guide.

Comment

So this is my first week with Simplefit.
                      My day 1 Level 1 Workout was amazing. I was sore and worn out. Day 2 I broke a sweat but it was only minimal. Day 3 not really sweating and not really tired.
                      Question 1: Should I be doing something else or is this just doing simple fit fine?

I cannot do a pullup which is one of the reasons I picked this program, it will help me get to the point where I can do multiple pullups.

Question 2: I finished day 3 level 1 in 4 mins 30 seconds (doing 2 types of modified pullups, 1. I would start halfway, pul myself up then let myself down to the halfway mark 2 of these would equal 1 pull up. 2. I would jump up and hold myself at top of pullup bar for 2 seconds the let myself down to a 4 count 3 of these would equal 1 pull up). Eventhough I cannot do a pullup should I move on the level 2 being that I got level 1 day 3 in under 5 mins?
                      Colby

Pre Primal
                      January 2010
                      215 LBS 40 in waist

Today
                      170 LBS 36 in waist

Comment

Originally posted by cmpitre View Post
                        Question 1: Should I be doing something else or is this just doing simple fit fine?

I cannot do a pullup which is one of the reasons I picked this program, it will help me get to the point where I can do multiple pullups.
                        It all depends on your goals. Simplefit will absolutely help you add in pull ups, as one of the main aspects of it is practicing pull ups (and the modifications to get there.) I don't know if it is the BEST strategy for getting to your first pull up, but it is one strategy that is effective. It will provide a great basic strength training program as it comprises 3 of the most effective/important compound movements (pull ups, push ups, and squats). You may want to incorporate the PBF moving slowly and sprint aspects into your week as well.

If your goals include handstand push ups, at some point you'll need to add in overhead press work, hand stand work, etc. If your goals include lifting heavy weights (barbells, sandbags etc) you'll need to incorporate those things. If your goals include pistol squats, you'll need to work specifically on those. Simplefit will absolutely help you build the strength needed on the path to other fitness goals, but working on specific skills may be necessary in order to achieve them (from what I've read and experienced.) All that being said, simplefit is a great start to total fitness and could certainly be 'enough' if one's goals are getting better at pull ups, push ups and squats and increasing muscular endurance.

You may want to ask question 2 in the big simplefit thread--I believe it was already answered there. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread7663.html

Good luck with your progress!!! Like a pp mentioned, for me, it was almost necessary to lose weight first before getting my first chin ups then pull ups. That extra weight DOES make a difference! I just utilized modifications as needed until I got there. HTH!
                        My Before/After Pics
                        Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
                          do you have an indoor pull up bar? if so, it's ok to do more than those programs. put your bar in a place you pass frequently (perhaps near the bathroom or kitchen) and do a pull up or variation every time you walk by. you'll be activating those muscles more, but not to the point where you will need any extra rest or be sore. it's a great way to build up that strength.
                          Yes--this is one of the strategies that really helped me with this. If you google 'greasing the groove' you'll find more on how effective it can be.
                          My Before/After Pics
                          Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Well I am working on Set 2 of Simple Fit. Yesterday I did 27 rounds of 1 pullup, 3 pushups, and 4 squats in 20 minutes. That comes out to 27 pullups (I did modified but 3 equals one so I really did 81 modified pullups) 81 pushups and 108 squats. I am pumped and fully energized. This morning I woke up and did some shoulder by doing 2 sets of 12 shoulder press pushups (trying to work my way to do handstands and handstand pushups) and 2 sets of planks 90 sec hand feet planks twice and 45 sec hand feet side plank each side twice. Great way to start the day before work. Think I may do some sprinting this afternoon. Can't wait for tomorrow's simplefit. I'm interested to see how fast I can do the 5 rounds of 3 pull ups, 8 pushups, and 13 squats. The main thing that slows me down is I do modified pullups and 3=1 regular so tomorrow I will end up with 45 modified pullups.
                            Colby

Pre Primal
                            January 2010
                            215 LBS 40 in waist

Today
                            170 LBS 36 in waist

Comment

hey cmpitre im right there with you doing level 2 of simplefit. i did 23 rounds on day 1 doing 3:1 australian pullups, day 2 i did the 5 rounds in 7'01.72" and day 3 i did in 6'43.05"

tomorrow i will do L2D1 again and try to do more rounds

ive found that day 1 really wipes me out but on day 2 and 3 i can do additional exercises, day 2 i do hill sprints and this past day 3 i did an additional round of simplefit then went and did some sled pulls and sand bag carries
                              Primal Chaos
                              37yo 6'5"
                              current 338lbs 49" waist
                              goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Working...
                              X