Your choice of footwear for weight training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your choice of footwear for weight training

I am reading that Chuck Taylors or other flat, hard soled shoes are best for weight training. I do own a couple pair of Chucks. So, I can start wearing those to the gym. But, I'm curious what kinds of footwear others like.

I prefer my VFFs.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
      I prefer my VFFs.
      I have been looking at those online. I would be really interested in trying them, but I can't really shell out $90-$100 for shoes right now. But, I can see how those would be a great weight training choice.

Comment

A lot of people are going to say bare feet or close to it is best, and I agree to some extent, but it takes a lot of work to get to that point. If you want to strength train, wear what allows you to maximize your training while addressing any mobility issues you may have on the side. I find it hard to get a good, fully compressed squat in my bare feet, so I wear my trainers (some Sauconies I bought forever ago) when I do those so I can get some good reps in, but I am working on that issue to hopefully do all that stuff barefoot or at least minimally shod.

Comment

Originally posted by DSR84 View Post
          A lot of people are going to say bare feet or close to it is best, and I agree to some extent, but it takes a lot of work to get to that point. If you want to strength train, wear what allows you to maximize your training while addressing any mobility issues you may have on the side. I find it hard to get a good, fully compressed squat in my bare feet, so I wear my trainers (some Sauconies I bought forever ago) when I do those so I can get some good reps in, but I am working on that issue to hopefully do all that stuff barefoot or at least minimally shod.
          Well, I suppose that's the nice thing about the VFFs. Those are about as close as you can get to being barefoot without actually being barefoot.

Comment

I have a funky foot shape and can't wear VFFs, so I wouldn't know. I have some other minimalist shoes (huaraches), and I have the same problem in those.

Comment

I switch back and forth from a regular Nike to my Altra Zero Drop ... depending on what I am doing that day. All the leg press sleds in the gym I use have a bracket attached to the sled plate like this _| ... to keep anyone from forgetting to push from the middle of the heel and not flat footed. It's not exactly comfy with the Zero Drop shoes. Squats, deadlifts, pull-downs, etc. I want my Zero Drops for the balance.
              Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Comment

MErrell Trail Gloves

Comment

I walk barefoot to the gym where I put on my VFFs
                  Grass Fed Beef Restaurants

Comment

I recommend Inov-8 F-Lite 230's. I picked up a pair last week to replace a worn out pair of Nike Free's and I will never go back. The Inov-8's are awesome!

Comment

Check out a pair of cross-country racing waffles like these but I'd recommend the rubbery sole rather than the plasticky one. The plasticky ones are only good if you never ever run on hard surfaces, only dirt or a running track. The rubbery soles are better if you have to run on pavement.

Many people seem to have forgotten they exist, in the excitement over barefoot running shoes. They tend to have very little padding and a low drop and have been around for ages for competitive runners. Full price on these types of shoes is often less than $60, and Eastbay often has good deals.

Comment

Originally posted by jpatrickclark View Post
                        I have been looking at those online. I would be really interested in trying them, but I can't really shell out $90-$100 for shoes right now. But, I can see how those would be a great weight training choice.
                        Once you figure out your size, keep an eye out online (sites like slickdeals.net, fatwallet.com etc help) for your size on sale. That's what I'm currently doing as they pop up fairly regularly for $50ish.

Comment

merrell trail gloves or barefoot
                          Primal Chaos
                          37yo 6'5"
                          6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                          current 338lbs 49" waist
                          goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Chucks for deadlift day, oly weightlifting shoes for squat day.

Comment

I usually lifted in socks, but then one of the gym monitors got sticky. So, now I lift in the regural running shoes (WalMart Starters, LOL!), but try to do the heaviest sets in socks still. I am getting myself specific weightlifting shoes eventually.

Anyone know what's the good option under or around $100? I don't think I want to argue with the monitors, so it's gotta be a shoe, not barefoot thinggie of some sort.
                              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Working...
                              X