Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I do tabata sprints everyday?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can I do tabata sprints everyday?

    I'm trying to lose weight and want to know if it's ok to do a 4 minute tabata sprint session everyday? I'm doing the PB body weight exercises for my strength training about 3 days a week and yoga for 2 hours a week.

  • #2
    if you are able to do them everyday you are probably doing them wrong
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

    Comment


    • #3
      I would suggest NO. I have a short window in the off season when I reccomend my clients do 2X to 3X a week to burn fat on a stationary trainer using a modified tabata protocol. The other days they are swimming and Lifting or recovering. Like Mike Said, they pretty much shell you if you do them correctly. The actual protocol states that the work sets are at 170% vo2 Max power output (something most people can't maintain for very long without pulking their guts out)

      Comment


      • #4
        I wouldn't. I do them once a week. The rest of the time I focus on strength and walking at a brisk pace. The weight is coming off too.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post
          if you are able to do them everyday you are probably doing them wrong
          What's the right way? I ran as fast as I could for 20 seconds, then walked for 10 seconds, I repeated this 8 times. I definitely felt it, I was exhausted afterward and I halfway through I thought I was gonna die. I did them before breakfast, so I was in a fasted state. Is this wrong?

          Comment


          • #6
            Sounds like you did them right, that's how do mine. I do mine on a treadmill, find i have to put the speed up really high to push myself to the very limit. I do mine at night, helps you burn fat of your overall fat storage if you do it after you're done eating.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Glamorama View Post
              Sounds like you did them right, that's how do mine. I do mine on a treadmill, find i have to put the speed up really high to push myself to the very limit. I do mine at night, helps you burn fat of your overall fat storage if you do it after you're done eating.
              Thanks for your help , but now I confused, I thought it was better to do them on an empty stomach?

              Comment


              • #8
                Not if you follow the Leptin-protocol like I do. I just stick to Dr Kruse's advice, it's done far more for my fat loss and hormones than if I stuck to normal primal. Eg skipping breakfast would really screw me up but I can easily skip dinner. So I do all my exercise after 6 pm.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Glamorama View Post
                  Not if you follow the Leptin-protocol like I do. I just stick to Dr Kruse's advice, it's done far more for my fat loss and hormones than if I stuck to normal primal. Eg skipping breakfast would really screw me up but I can easily skip dinner. So I do all my exercise after 6 pm.
                  I checked out his site, I think I was leptin resistant when I began PB in June, but I'm not sure if I still am, as I never have carb cravings anymore and my clothes are looser (both signs of regained leptin sensitivity as stated on his site). So, you have lost 30 pounds since June using his methods? Congrats, that is amazing!!! Is there anyway you can tell me exactly what your eating and workout plan is? It is obviously working wonders for you and I want to try it

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think Mike was suggesting that if you can do them everyday then (although you'll feel like they're still hard work) your performance will decrease over time due to overtraining/pacing.
                    Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                    Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                    The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                    Brute Force Sandbags
                    www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                    http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post
                      if you are able to do them everyday you are probably doing them wrong
                      I was gonna say the same thing... It means that if you're not wasted, pooped and feel like ass in your legs (unless you're already pretty well-conditioned) - so much that you won't be able to do it many times a week.

                      Another thing is that your body gets used to the same stimuli thus get more efficient, finally resulting in less energy expended and less fat loss.
                      Change things up - do sprints, other interval stuff like burpees, pushups, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, tuck jumps, rope climbs - anything that gets your muscles activated, and do them at high intensity.

                      You CAN get yourself used to working hard every day, but if you're just starting out, don't go for much more than 2 or 3 times a week, then build up.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I prefer to do any fasted state training at low intensity, I just don't feel the "pop" I seek in my speed work if I have not eaten in 10-12 hours. Everyone is individual and you need to see how you respond long term to repetitive fasted hard interval work.

                        Here is Mark's takew on it: Fasted Workout Benefits | Mark's Daily Apple

                        Another point of view from an enduarance athlete perspective : 4 Reasons To Think Twice About Eating Carbohydrates Before A Workout | Ben Greenfield Fitness

                        Cheers,

                        Dave

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I prefer to do any fasted state training at low intensity, I just don't feel the "pop" I seek in my speed work if I have not eaten in 10-12 hours. Everyone is individual and you need to see how you respond long term to repetitive fasted hard interval work.

                          Here is Mark's takew on it: Fasted Workout Benefits | Mark's Daily Apple

                          Another point of view from an enduarance athlete perspective : 4 Reasons To Think Twice About Eating Carbohydrates Before A Workout | Ben Greenfield Fitness

                          Cheers,

                          Dave

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ar0e View Post
                            I checked out his site, I think I was leptin resistant when I began PB in June, but I'm not sure if I still am, as I never have carb cravings anymore and my clothes are looser (both signs of regained leptin sensitivity as stated on his site). So, you have lost 30 pounds since June using his methods? Congrats, that is amazing!!! Is there anyway you can tell me exactly what your eating and workout plan is? It is obviously working wonders for you and I want to try it
                            Sorry didn't see your post until now. Sure, I can share some of my info. Many people become LS over time by smply changing to the PB lifestyle, this might be the case for you.

                            I sleep 8 hours pr night. Deep, restful sleep. Very important for cortisol and in turn fat-loss.
                            breakfast 7.30: 25-30 grams protein, mostly leftover dinner from night before. Tuna steak/beef or chicken w steamed veg, some butter etc. If I have no leftovers I make a 3-4 egg omelett w cheese.

                            Lunch is similar, eaten at 1.30 pm.

                            I have 1 teaspoon of coconut butter after breakfast, 2 after lunch. Then no more for the day as it affects my sleep.

                            Dinner: I don't feel hungry for dinner, so I skip this meal if I want to IF. Otherwise I have a snack like berries with coconut milk and a few macadamia-nuts.

                            Supplements: omega3 wild salmon fish oil, glucosamine, magnesium, zinc, probiotics.

                            I'm still slowly getting into the fitness-part of PB. I walk daily, lift heavy 2-3 times weekly, sprint once a week. I'll get into the weights properly once I join a gym in Oct! I am losing fat atm, normally I stall at 130 lbs so I'm interested to see if this will happen again. Hope this helps.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ar0e View Post
                              What's the right way? I ran as fast as I could for 20 seconds, then walked for 10 seconds, I repeated this 8 times. I definitely felt it, I was exhausted afterward and I halfway through I thought I was gonna die. I did them before breakfast, so I was in a fasted state. Is this wrong?
                              The "right" way to do Tabata intervals is to get hooked up to a VO2max machine and make sure you're hitting 170% VO2max.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X